Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories > Rohrbaugh Range Reports

New-To-Me R9 At The Range

<< < (2/3) > >>

tracker:
You mentioned "Remington HST" and "Hornady HST"---did you mean Federal HST? 

boscobarbell:

--- Quote from: tracker on March 31, 2023, 02:25:09 PM ---You mentioned "Remington HST" and "Hornady HST"---did you mean Federal HST?

--- End quote ---

Thanks for catching that.  Yes, Federal HST. 

Edited for correction.

backupr9:
Tiny high quality handguns with close tolerances (think Rohrbaugh and Seecamp) are notoriously ammo picky and, interestingly, seem to have disparate preferences unique to each gun.  My R9’s love Gold Dots of any weight, handle Federal and several others, but neither gun likes Underwood.  With these tiny guns, even ammo from the same company but a different batch can cause problems….that is why Larry Seecamp advised that one should end a practice session with a new box of the preferred ammo, firing 13 rounds and if all went well loading the last 7 for carry.

boscobarbell:

--- Quote from: backupr9 on April 01, 2023, 09:56:03 AM ---Tiny high quality handguns with close tolerances (think Rohrbaugh and Seecamp) are notoriously ammo picky and, interestingly, seem to have disparate preferences unique to each gun.  My R9’s love Gold Dots of any weight, handle Federal and several others, but neither gun likes Underwood.  With these tiny guns, even ammo from the same company but a different batch can cause problems….that is why Larry Seecamp advised that one should end a practice session with a new box of the preferred ammo, firing 13 rounds and if all went well loading the last 7 for carry.

--- End quote ---

Yes, it reminds me very much of my Seecamp for a number of reasons.

I am considering biting the bullet (see what I did there?!) and buying a case of the Federal HST.  If I only shoot enough to cycle my ammo a couple of times a year, that would last me well past this lifetime. 

Still, having a couple of options would be nice......

boscobarbell:
Okay, looks like 3rd time's the charm. 

Got my R9 out again, this time with a few different ammos to try out.  I had one hiccup with the Underwood 124 gr JHP ammo.  Moved on to Sig V Crown 124 gr, and put about 25 rounds downrange without failure.  Next up was the Remington Ultimate Defense 124 gr (which look an awful lot like Golden Sabers to me), and I was able to shoot another 25 rounds without issue.  At that point I figured I was flirting with disaster and decided to get my pistol back home for a good cleaning. 

But I now have 3 solid carry ammo choices--Federal HST, Sig V Crown, and Remington Ultimate Defense.  In my experience, this is excellent for a micro pistol, and I am now fully confident that the R9 will serve me well moving forward.   I'm still inclined to stockpile one or more of these choices as a hedge against the manufacturers moving on from these, but I think having even 500 rounds or so on hand will be enough of a security blanket.  This is probably the most I'll ever shoot this little guy, since from now on all I'll be doing is cycling my carry ammo a couple of times a year. 

Now my attention will turn to stockpiling spare parts, or perhaps purchasing a second R9 as a "parts gun."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version