Rohrbaugh Products and Accessories > Rohrbaugh R9 (all variations)

Smart Guns and the Smart R9 that was Abandoned

(1/2) > >>

DDGator:

https://www.reuters.com/technology/smart-gun-operating-facial-recognition-goes-sale-us-2023-04-21/

This brings back some memories.  Early Rohrbaugh enthusiasts may remember that Karl and Eric were originally working on a "smart gun" design for the R-9 involving a magnetic ring (and maybe other ideas) that would disable the gun from firing if you were not the person wearing the ring.  As I recall, they had some pretty good technology.

However, NJ passed a law stating that as as soon as the first smart gun was commercially available, all guns had to incorporate the technology (or similar -- I don't recall the exact details).  Karl and Eric decided they did not want to be the ones to trigger such legislation, and basically abandoned the R&D to that point.

The above article mentions that the NJ law was significantly watered down since then... but will still require gun shops to offer smart pistols when available.

The technology sure has changed, but looks like a smart gun will finally be hitting the market.

I am not intending to start a "smart gun" debate, although that is fine if you want.  However, my real point was to again recognize Karl and Eric for their leadership and commitment to the Second Amendment and the gun community.  They made a big sacrifice and completely pivoted their business to protect the community.  I think this selfless act gets forgotten sometimes.

Thanks to you both for your strong principles.

-Duane

backupr9:
Thanks for that interesting piece of Rohrbaugh history.  I was dry firing (snap cap of course) my Special Forces R9 last evening on the lanai….what a wonderful handgun!

cargaritaville:
I think that Biofire Tech needs to do some more R&D before people can trust their lives to it.

backupr9:
Fully agree!  Also note that the phone companies that provide facial recognition warn that it may not be secure nor predictably accurate.

tracker:
I'll pass on facial recognition pistols and electric vehicles.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version