Author Topic: dry firing?  (Read 3749 times)

Offline coyote

• Expert
dry firing?
« on: April 27, 2011, 05:27:42 PM »
can recent R9 models be dry-fired without doing damage?

i've read and re-read rohrbaugh's included factory info, but can't find mention of it anywhere.

i know that some of you use snap-caps for dry firing. ok, that's nice, but is it necessary? does dry firing harm it in anyway?

if you say that it does, then what are we to make of the fact that this happens every time we empty a magazine downrange (unless we count rounds or do silly "tactical reloads")?

there are very few modern center-fire firearms that you can't dry-fire, so why would this one be any different?

thoughts?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:37:41 PM by coyote »
if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: dry firing?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »
I don't know if it hurts them but it doesn't seem it would be a good thing to do any amount of on any gun.  It has to create  wear on the involved parts.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »
I've just always heard, don't dry fire a gun; so I don't.  It does seem like a good idea not to, so I'll leave it to others to chime in.

Here are some thoughts on dry firing.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061213034015AA5J39B
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:58:43 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Lchavezmisc

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:03:05 PM »
I've read different from all manufactures.  Some say it's ok, others say not to. Unless you by a gun brand new unopened, it has been dry fired by almost everyone who has handled it.

dry firing just happens. I have never had damage from accidental or occasional dry firing, but I also don't sit on the couch and dry fire for fun either.

I've even read that snap caps will not prevent damage. At least in Freedom arms revolvers.

None of this answers your question though ::)

Offline coyote

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 11:26:48 AM »
the info in the link that kj supplied falls in line with what i believe to be true: that this is a habit left over from many many years ago (like believing that modern 45LC brass are balloon cases). added to the fact there are still firearms that shouldn't be dry-fired:

-older firearms

-low quality firearms with poorly heat treated parts

-most 22 rimfires

-firearms where the manufacturer says we shouldn't dry-fire them due to the design

but it seems to be ok to do in moderation with any modern high-quality firearm where the manufacturer didn't specifically state it's not allowed.

that would include rohrbaughs. i suspect dry-firing a R9 a few hundred, or even thousand, times isn't going to hurt anything.

any comebacks?

if it isn't a rohrbaugh, its too darn big