Author Topic: Ron Graham turnaround time  (Read 11198 times)

Offline pale_horse

Re: Ron Graham turnaround time
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2004, 12:46:59 AM »
Hi Justin,

Yeah...I know it's fun to call folks names..but who are you..and what do you do?

I get up every morning at about 6AM..then work well into about 2 AM the next morning building the best holsters I can..and selling them far below what others of less quality do.

You certainly own none of my work..or do I have an order from you.

I wonder?..what are you up too here?

Certainly...I run a vast back log..and at times..a one man shop..can not get to my mail as I would like too...but still build and ship a good 200 holsters a week...aside the virus.

My guess is...your name is not Justin...and again...you do your master no service.

One day...I will come upon you..and all Hell will follow Mike.

Best,
Ronbo-San

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2004, 03:08:39 PM »
What did I do?  :o  I certainly didn't mean any disrespect.  I have nothing to hide here; hopefully you don't as well.
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline sharp

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2004, 01:06:57 PM »
Hi Justin,

Yeah...I know it's fun to call folks names..but who are you..and what do you do?

I get up every morning at about 6AM..then work well into about 2 AM the next morning building the best holsters I can..and selling them far below what others of less quality do.

You certainly own none of my work..or do I have an order from you.

I wonder?..what are you up too here?

Certainly...I run a vast back log..and at times..a one man shop..can not get to my mail as I would like too...but still build and ship a good 200 holsters a week...aside the virus.

My guess is...your name is not Justin...and again...you do your master no service.

One day...I will come upon you..and all Hell will follow Mike.

Best,
Ronbo-San

Sounds like Mr. Graham needs a little bit more sleep......

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2004, 03:53:58 PM »
Those that know Ron personally please help.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 04:06:28 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Ron Graham turnaround time
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 05:57:50 PM »
>>I don't know anyone here, but I do know a thing or two about the use of the internet in trying to work out issues with people...and at times it's kinda like driving on a busy interstate with a board in your face = you can look in the mirror to see behind, and side to side is ok...but you can't see anything in front which can make it hard to idenify and negotiate the wreck ahead.

At best I would guess there is a guy named Mike that has done injustice to Pale_Rider...and for some reason Justin must smell like Mike to the_Rider...?...is for them to sort out but it would be nice to see closure here as it was brought up on a public forum...see...?...TW<<

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2004, 09:15:46 PM »
Hi Justin:

You asked for someone who knows Ron. Well, I'm his number 1, self-appointed cheerleader. Currently I own over 50 products made by Ron, including holsters, belts, et cetera.

I'm 48 years old and a self-described holster junkie. I've carried a concealed firearm for the last 23 years. While I enjoy firearms, I have never been too keen on carrying them.  Carrying a firearm is not very comfortable. But for me, a necessary tool.

So I've always been on the lookout for a better way to carry a firearm. Also, when money was tight, buying a new holster was cheaper than a new gun. I'm a sucker for new designs as well.

You hit a raw nerve with Ron. First, let me talk about hand boning.

Hand boned gun leather only became the current "rage" in the mid to late 1980's. Before then, the rage was lined, hand-tooled leather holsters. Hand boneing refers to the wet moulding process a maker uses to custom fit a gun to a specific holster. All of the makers you mentioned, including Ron, all bone their products. Whether you see all of the detail on the leather surface or not doesn't mean that the holster wasn't hand boned.

The problem is to understand the difference between cosmetic and practical aspects of a holster. It is easier to get detail out of belly leather than shoulder leather. Look at horsehide holsters make 50 years ago, and you discover that the thickness of leather used then was significantly thicker than what is used today. Ask yourself why?

Today, many holsters are moulded so finely that the ejection port is visible. While it looks pretty, it is a dumb thing to do because the ejection port will scrape against the leather causing undue wear.  Yet makers still do it, because of its cosmetic appeal, not its practical value.

As to Ron's backlog. Well, it take 12 to 24 months to get a Rolls Royce made from the date of the order. If you order a knife from Randall, the current wait is 4 years. Seecamp 380's have a 3 year wait. There are people like me willing to wait for the best. If you need a holster right away, there are plenty of makers out there who need the work and will crank one out for you by return mail.

Ask yourself this--why would a maker like Ron, who spend not a single dime on advertising, have more orders backlogged than most makers receive in an entire year? Maybe the quality of his designs and workmanship speak for themselves.

Now, finally, as to his exotic leather holsters--you will find no one who makes a better holster at any price--PERIOD.

I take my safety very seriously. I bought my Rohrbaugh for the same reason I own Ron Graham holsters. I want the best tools available, and sometimes you just have to wait to get the best.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 09:20:46 PM by GeorgeH »

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 11:17:23 PM »
I only provided a link to help answer the original poster's question, nothing more nothing less.  I felt it was completely neutral.  I really didn't say anything, just provided a link.
I only have one Graham holster, the "cookie" for a keltec P32 that has served me well.
If I wanted to say bad things about a holster maker it would be Mitch Rosen anyway.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 11:32:01 PM by justin2992 »

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2004, 12:48:38 AM »
Hi Justin:

I'm actually interested in your opinion of Rosen. Gun writers seem to love him, but I haven't met anyone that liked his stuff. My experience with his stuff is very limited.

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2004, 02:51:42 AM »
A couple years back I talked to Mitch Rosen about making a pocket holster for my J-frame.  He quoted me something like $425 for shell cordovan with stingray trim, $600 for all stingray, and $500 for elephant.  He will only put stingray trim on a shell cordovan holster.  When I asked him why, he said it was part of the manufacturing process.  That makes little sense to me.  I think he justifies such absurd prices for the exotics because only he makes them not others in his shop and he's a total prima donna. They do look nice from pictures I've seen but can't be worth the price.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 02:56:05 AM by justin2992 »

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2004, 08:52:45 AM »
Back to the gun belt question for a moment please - can anyone post a pic of a Graham belt?

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2004, 09:37:46 AM »
 :D ........ Got a little off track, didn't it.........  :D

GeorgeH may have a photo of a Graham made belt..
RJ=

Offline azrael

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2004, 10:43:41 PM »
ahhhhh Hand boning....That curse of all holster makers...Well those that seem to be only able to do it with one hand these days!!!grrrrrr..Physical therapy is of the devil!!!

Justin,
George has it dead on...You need to fit the weapon to the holster, but "lining" it out is cosmetic...It also takes more time to make the holster..

Time=$$$$

Some of my favorite examples of "hand boning" are by RJ and Ronbo, as well as Andy Arrantoonian...

RJ and Ronbo-san are 2 of my favorite holster maker's in the game...I will not comment on Mitch Rosen..except to say, that I am MUCH better looking than he is..

I hate horse hide..btw..
Dave
Azrael's Custom Leather

"There is no love in your violence"
Kakihara (Ichi the Killer)