Author Topic: Custom Grips????  (Read 5605 times)

Offline scartissue

Custom Grips????
« on: November 14, 2004, 07:24:49 PM »
Just received my R9S, it this thing great or what?

Anyone making custom gips for these yet?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Custom Grips????
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 07:41:51 PM »
Congrat's - and welcome!  :)

I do not know of any as yet - tho I daresay in the future there may well be someone who does.

Major prob is - the right side grip panel is actually ''gun structural'' .. that is why they (Rohrbaugh) use CF .... that is machined internally to give relief as well as support to the trigger transfer bar ..... and from that angle - I doubt there will be many who try to make after-market grips - at least, ones that work and are strong enough.

I am considering adding a cut down Hogue ''HandAll'' .... as a means to add some ''meat'' ..... but the downside there might be snagging on clothing.

I think myself that the best approach is practice in finding the best grip with the gun ''as is'' ..... the way it is intended to be.  It is not a plinker - and for me is there for one reason ... as long as occasional practice is manageable ... I stick with it the way it is.

Give us feedback over time, as you shoot your r9 - it is all most valuable.  Note in my sig line' ... the link to my FAQ site - might be some interest for you there.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline scartissue

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2004, 07:50:39 PM »
Thanks, glad to be here.  Just got it from Evan a week ago, put a couple of hundred rounds through it, no problems at all.  I put some Glock grip tape on both grip panels, works rather well as it is.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2004, 11:04:53 PM »
Welcome Scar Tissue. Personally, I would probably spring for some Crimson Trace grips for my Rohrbaugh, and would definitely pick up a 10 round (or more) magazine for it that had pinky finger support....

Offline scartissue

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 11:55:17 PM »
Don't need all that, but since I do have very large hands.  If I could get an extra set of grip panels I might try to checker or stipple them.  Just to get alittle texture on the CF.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Custom Grips????
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 02:22:21 AM »
>>Scartissue...

In case you are wondering...  The price of a pair of the new, black grips for the R9 run $85...TW<<

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 09:14:08 AM »
Yeah, and I don't think they are making too much on the grips at that price -- that carbon fiber is expensive to buy and difficult to work with.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 03:20:53 PM »
Have we heard back from the forum member who was having a jeweler make sterling silver grips for his Rohrbaugh?

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 10:31:04 PM »
I'm the one who has commissioned a pair of sterling silver grips for my R9s from my jeweler friend, Mac McDonell of Gemstone Jewelers.  Mac previously made a beautiful pair of silver grips for my Guardian .380.  However, after eight molds and six castings, he is still working on the Rohrbaugh project -- and I have become very good at removing and reinstalling the carbon fiber grips on my R9s.  

This whole project with the Rohrbaugh has now become something of a crusade for Mac.  The problem involves the extremely close tolerances for the grips, including the two small grip-screw holes in each panel.  Unlike a pair of grips with only one screw in each panel (e.g., the  Guardian or one of the 1911s), there is absolutely no margin for error or shrinkage with the Rohrbaugh.  After all, Mac is using the ancient lost-wax process in an attempt to duplicate in silver a pair of grips created in carbon fiber by state-of-the-art computerized machining.

Mac has come close on two occasions and still believes he can complete the project.  Even if he succeeds, however, the process is not one which I would recommend for other Rohrbaugh owners or one which Mac would be anxious to try again.

More to follow . . . .

RS
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 03:10:38 AM »
Thanks for the update Richard, I'm sure they'll eventually be great after all the effort your jeweler friend is putting into them. I've actually done a bit of lost wax casting and it's a pretty slick process, melting the wax out of the plaster mold and replacing it with molten metal. But I've never tried to do anything with close tolerances of course, and I don't envy the challenge your friend has set for himself.  

Offline jimacp

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 06:09:21 PM »
9mil.mouse,  I assume you are saying you would get crimson trace grips and mag with extension if they were made?  Those aren't available are they?  I would love crimson trace grips on R9s but assume I will never see that.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2004, 06:09:45 PM by jimacp »

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 07:51:24 PM »
Hi Jim, yes, you bet! I'd get both in a heartbeat if they were available. I asked Eric about the likelihood of crimson trace grips for the Rohrbaugh long ago, it must have been late last year. He had no way of knowing an answer to that question, of course, and they were far too busy with other stuff at the factory to take time to talk to the CT folks.  I suspect the Crimson trace folks would be mainly interested in making their grips for the most common or popular guns that they could go on, so they could sell lots of them. That's one of the few areas where Rohrbaughs are not outstanding.....yet, anyway, being common.   ;D   Still, we can continue to hope for both, someday.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 10:43:53 PM »
I'd join the queue for CT's on my R9 in a flash ... but as we all probably think and realize - those might be a long ways off .... simply due to impracticability considering the small number of guns out there so far.

I reckon also the right grip panel and its function would make a CT set very tricky to make and reliably control/contain that trigger linkage.  OTOH .. that aside ... the small ''bulge'' that would result would be for me a small inconvenience, even too if grips became a bit fatter.  We'll see I guess but this might be at least 2 years down the road - at best!
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline TW

• Grand Master
Custom Grips????
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 02:52:05 AM »
>>Chris...

About the CT grip prob of having the guts of it on the right panal...  They could always put the CT guts and lazer on the left panal...seems to me it would work.  Like you and others - I absolutely LOVE CT lazer grips!!!  I think they would look trick on an R9 too...similar to the new Black grips on offer from Rohrbaugh.  

It sure is fun spectulating about ad-ons like the CT grips for the R9.  Very little to do with mods and improvements for the R9 Gem as it is already so fine...  But lots to think about in terms of usage and after market treasures...TW<<