Author Topic: range report 8/26/2010  (Read 3616 times)

Offline LRHogFan

range report 8/26/2010
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:38:07 PM »
I decided to take a trip to the range today after not visiting or shooting in a while.  

Packed up quite a few weapons, hoping that I would have time to shoot them all.  I ended up only having time to shoot four different weapons, all with limited action for the most part.  

My primary reason for visiting the range today was because I have just received a M1903A3 after my Great Uncle passed away recently.  I was told that this was my Great Grandfather's weapon, who was a aircraft mechanic in WWII.  This gun was in immaculate condition when I received it and everything in it is mechanically sound and extremely tight.  It doesn't look like it saw much action, if any at all.

From about 100 yards I was able to get all shots on paper using the iron sights and most grouped about 8-10" high.  I shot probably about 12-14 rounds as that was all the ammunition I had today.  I was very impressed with the rifle.

My next toy was a custom built AR-15 that I put together myself.  It is a standard lower with a Larue Tactical 12" barrel.  I moved the target to 50 yards and just made sure the sights were on target and it appears they certainly are.  I need to get some type of optic for it, but for now it will do it's duty if called upon.  

After the rifles, I moved over to the pistol range.  I bought a new Colt 1911 about 2-3 weeks ago and still haven't had a chance to break it in.  This is my first 1911 and I can't say that I have ever even shot a 1911 pistol.  I was quite impressed by the accuracy of the weapon.  I didn't put them all in the 10 ring, but If I would have taken more time on most shots, that certainly would have been a possibility.  Fifty rounds with no flaws or hiccups at all.  I loved the gun even before I first shot it, but I am even more in love with it now.  And, maybe the entire 1911 platform.  

Finally, I wanted to get in a few rounds with the Rohrbaugh to prove that it is still performing consistently.  After my last trip to the range, I changed the spring.  That was after experiencing a few FTE's.  I also used only Gold Dot ammo this time.  I fired two magazines worth, only 12 rounds and determined that everything was as it should be.  I feel quite comfortable carrying the Rohrbaugh as a primary self defense weapon now.  

Overall, A great day at the range.  I just wish I had more time and that it was a little closer to my home.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: range report 8/26/2010
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:38:43 PM »
LRHogFan.  Man, that was a good day at the range; all those weapons performing.  Glad the Rohrbaugh did well this time and thanks for the update.  Continue to enjoy.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:20:06 AM »
LRHogFan - sorry to hear about your Great Uncle.

That is pretty cool that you received a family heirloom that is useable and has some history behind it.

Glad all is well with the pup.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 01:36:33 PM »
LRHogFan, sounds like a good day at the range.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 05:39:12 PM »
A good range trip indeed, glad everything preformed well.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson