Author Topic: Florida Sheriff says his deputies will "Draw  (Read 2591 times)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
Florida Sheriff says his deputies will "Draw
« on: April 20, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »
Sheriff promises shoot outs

Florida Sheriffs announce they will 'Draw down' on anyone with an open carry. The sheriff says 'Look for tragedies, as deputies won't hesitate if they feel threatened.

Go watch this shocking video ---- YouTube - Open Carry Debate - Florida House of Representatives - 3/24/2011

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Florida Sheriff says his deputies will "D
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »
I watched the video.  The sheriff just stated the obvious.  If you were a LEO, and were dispatched to situation where an individual or individuals had a gun in plain sight, what would be your first action?  I'm not a cop, but I sure as hell would want all the firearms (except mine) out of the action.

As a private citizen, I feel that concealed carry is the safest way for me to have a firearm on my person.  And, per the concealed carry laws, it is up to me to let the police know I have a concealed weapon.  I live in Michigan, which permits open carry.  There have been several publicized events in recent weeks where proponents of open carry have gotten lots of news coverage of their activities with visible holstered weapons.  Frankly, it makes me a little nervous to be around people like that, and I've carried concealed for many years.

One other point: There are people - and I'm one of them - who feel that the individual carrying openly would be the first target for bad guys in a Stuff-Hits-The-Fan situation.  Why advertise to someone who is out to do evil that you are a threat?    
I don't want to sound flip about this because drawing a weapon means you are putting your life at risk.....but if the situation ever arises wouldn't you rather see a shocked look on the bad guy's face as you put a couple of rounds in center-of-mass?  Way better than trying to survive someone slinging lead at you.

Steve

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »

Florida Sheriffs announce they will 'Draw down' on anyone with an open carry. The sheriff says 'Look for tragedies, as deputies won't hesitate if they feel threatened.

If this Sheriff is serious with what he is saying he is leaving himself and his department in for some embarrassing lawsuits - or at least he is if the Florida proposed statute ends up being anything like the law as it currently exists in PA where I live. In PA, open carry provides no more RAS or probable cause for LE to stop, question or even interact with the individual than if the individual was carrying a bag of popcorn. They must have some other reason to interact with the individual aside from the fact that they are visibly armed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:44:46 AM by JR956678 »

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:06:01 AM »
As a private citizen, I feel that concealed carry is the safest way for me to have a firearm on my person.

In Fl you worry about a shirt flying open, or even a gun printing. So this open carry law makes sense.

Obviously a cop will stop someone toting a Desert Eagle in a busy mall. Other than a few hot shots, most people are not going to abuse open carry.

Who wants some rookie cop pointing a gun at them??

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »
"Open carry" in the wilderness where large, furry animal dangers do really exist, makes a lot of sense to me.  In urban areas,  with the general population consisting mostly of peace loving citizens with their families or daily errands, it's out of place and stupid.  It causes folks of good intention to be uneasy at best, and promotes negativity toward firearms in general.
The most severe immediate problem of open carry is it screams "SHOOT ME FIRST AND MULTIPLE TIMES ! !"  Meanwhile, with all the lead flying around, bystanders get hurt for no reason greater than someone having the repercussions of an overdose of testosterone.

Yes...I do know there are large, furry animal dangers in town also.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Open Carry will be limited to dangerous situations  .... going to a gay bar, a crowded bagel joint where people cut into line, the checkout counter of 10 items or less, etc.

For example:  ----- If someone has 11 items in a 10 item checkout, than you have the right to unstrap your 1911 shoulder holster. Politely ask them to go to the full service checkout   ..... naturally if they refuse, then rack the gun  and 'Dump your clip'

If you are at a movie theater and a cell phone goes off ... that's justification.  ;D

Offline hedrok

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 01:07:28 PM »
YES ! !   >:(  Those are EXACTLY the times when open carry is needed.  And, might I add a berm runner in a tricycle race...NO..
I won't move over ! :P :P

;D

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 07:19:28 PM »
YES ! !   >:(  Those are EXACTLY the times when open carry is needed.  And, might I add a berm runner in a tricycle race...NO..
I won't move over ! :P :P

;D

Annoying Jevoaha Witnesses, ringing your doorbell = dump the clip   ......... a dentist that hits a nerve - pop him  ...... gas goes to $4.50. you can shoot the attendant  ...... a neighbor borrows a shovel and doesn't return it for a week, of course you can plug him.

As far as pistol whipping ..... A clerk at Dunkin Donuts is giving low service, you can beat him silly with your colt 1911.

Offline Chigger

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 01:18:35 PM »
why is going to a gay bar a time when open carry is needed?  

Offline Chigger

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 04:45:55 PM »
I know that most of the posts in this string were intended as fun and kidding... but if an outsider saw them it could very well be taken the wrong way.  We don't just whip out our big guns and pop someone that has made us mad.  

Rohrbaugh owners have the reputation of being the top notch, responsible gun owners who prepare to protect themselves and their loved ones.  I would hate to see the group get a bad name.