Author Topic: where are all the 380 owners  (Read 7403 times)

Offline socialwork911

where are all the 380 owners
« on: August 14, 2012, 12:19:01 PM »
this thread doesn't get much activity..I on the fence about the 380..love to hear from owners about their experiences with the gun..would you buy it again or go with the 9

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: where are all the 380 owners
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 06:44:27 PM »
The feedback that I have heard from owners has been great!  However, if this were my first Rohrbaugh, it would and was a 9mm.  The whole idea from the beginning was to have the lightest, smallest, 9mm package available; i.e., the most bang for the buck. 

I believe the whole idea of the R380 was for mainly 4 catagories of shooters: women who could not tolerate the 9mm, handicapped,  recoil sensitive, and neophytes.  While each comprises a very small market for an expensive gun, the four combined make it worth while.

In my opinion, with all the advancements made with small 9mm pistols and ammo, the 380 in most cases is practically obsolete for defensive purposes.  Unless you just can not tolerate or carry any thing else.      (note:  I did not make any absolutes) :)

Since I am satisfied with my current stable of R9's, I would welcome a 380 at the right price.  :)

Good Luck with your decision.

NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline socialwork911

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 07:11:42 PM »
Reinz,

thanks for yur feedback...opinions concerning cal. are all over the place..380 ammo has changed...but a 9 is still a 9.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 07:25:44 PM »
Dude, if you are trying to say a 380 has broken the 9 barrier,  by the same token, a 9 has upped by the same dimension with current ammunition technology.

If a 380 is what is the most power you can manage at your best, that is one thing.  But if you think the ammo is as good as the best 9mm defensive ammo, somebody sold you a bill of goods and/or you are just fooling yourself.

Does't really matter to me, yes, a 9 IS a 9, as IS a 380 a 380.  Which is why my R9's are my just Backups to this:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 07:34:32 PM by Reinz »

Offline socialwork911

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 07:30:09 PM »
just sayin, for me...the tech changes to 380 ammo makes ok to carry for SD....9mm has changes too and is also good for SD...I like your main carry...always gets the job done :)

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 07:36:32 PM »
Understood :)

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 09:05:22 PM »
I like my .380.  Its definitely an easier gun to shoot.  Great for the recoil wary shooter. 

I suspect the .380 may be retired, or at least become a "special order" item at some point.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline socialwork911

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 09:16:30 PM »
i hope not..i'm leaning toward the 380 over the 9....the ammo is hard to find. my lgs only carries 2 types of 380 ammo, and it's a big gs....guess i can always mail order for ammo or get it at gun shows?

Offline dmunofo

• Sharpshooter
  • 1 year Rohrbaugh owner
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:27:19 AM »

First off don't get hung up on the whole 380 vs. 9 battle with ammo and ballistics.  Like one member here told me a while back, shot placement is key.  If you re recoil sensitive and you think it may play  a factor, then the 380 is the better choice.  The recoil on my 380 completely fine.....heck i shoot a 45 on duty, and carry a 45 off duty in uniform. 

Having to qualify off duty to carry, and shooting from the 25 yard line, I felt that the 380 would be the better choice, ESP when I run a combat and nighttime course?  By the end of the day, I am putting @ 150 rounds through the gun.  I have been told that there is a noticeable in recoil with the 9.

Personally I couldn't be happier with my 380.  It's dead accurate within 15 yards, and at the 25 it's takes a bit more effort, but still manageable.  While this is not meant to be a target gun, one never knows if the situation may present itself from a distance as opposed to up close and personal.

I got the Rohrbaugh for concealment carry due to its size.  Either way, the Rohrbaugh is the way to go.  Good luck with what ever model u decide to buy.

D

Active LEO, Duty Weapon SIG P220, Off Duty H&K USP Compact .45, K380 2 tone with blue carbon fiber VZ grips, Benchmade Triage side blade,

Offline socialwork911

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 11:15:39 AM »
thanks D for your comments