Author Topic: r9 with failures  (Read 17882 times)

Offline Bell3156

r9 with failures
« on: January 07, 2016, 04:46:11 PM »
... I bought an r9 from gunbroker we took it out to the desrt and i cant go a complete magazine with out a failure. failure to fire, failure to eject and failure to feed, take your pick. I was running magtech 115g and winchester  147g, it didnt seem to run any better on the winchester. I sprayed some oi in the slide before we fired it. we sent 6 magazines thru it, failure on everyone. Im going to strip and clean it this weekend, any recomendations on amo would be great!. at this point I cant see carring this over my seecamp 380 that I bought at the same time. we sent the same number of magazines thru the seecamp with only one failure to eject. the r9 is more accurate and more fun to shoot than the seecamp. any help would be great, I want to love and carry this gun.

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
Re: r9 with failures
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 06:39:17 PM »
The R9 likes to be CLEAN,  Gold Dots in 115 or 124gr. Winchester Whitebox 115gr.  Get new recoil springs and only shoot 100rnds on a spring, then put in a new one. Cant find springs call Wolff gunsprings.  I personally use tw25 grease on my two R9s. Keep the right grip panel screws tight..but don't strip em. This IS NOT a plinking gun. I recommend 3 or 4 mags then disassemble and clean, its built so tight that the brass shavings from the shells possibly could be a factor. you could try stretching the recoil spring a little, just so it sticks out past the inner guide rod about a quarter inch or so..also the mag spring may need to be replaced and or stretched also...Not A GLOCK...But with proper care and lube a.. absolute masterpiece Welcome to the forum and have a look around all the answers are right here.

Mich.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 06:57:10 PM »
The R9 likes to be CLEAN,  Gold Dots in 115 or 124gr. Winchester Whitebox 115gr.  Get new recoil springs and only shoot 100rnds on a spring, then put in a new one. Cant find springs call Wolff gunsprings.  I personally use tw25 grease on my two R9s. Keep the right grip panel screws tight..but don't strip em. This IS NOT a plinking gun. I recommend 3 or 4 mags then disassemble and clean, its built so tight that the brass shavings from the shells possibly could be a factor. you could try stretching the recoil spring a little, just so it sticks out past the inner guide rod about a quarter inch or so..also the mag spring may need to be replaced and or stretched also...Not A GLOCK...But with proper care and lube a.. absolute masterpiece Welcome to the forum and have a look around all the answers are right here.

^^^^^What he said^^^^^

1)Clean it.

2)New springs

3) only 124 gold dot until you prove it is reliable there IMO

4) tighten grip screws

4) run 6 rounds change Mags run 6 more with very positive grip

5) if that RIGHT THERE doesn't work send it in for warranty repairs IMO

6) if it does work be done with it on that range session and clean it relod with the good stuff and repeat on next range session. Give it a day or at least several hours.

7) post reports on how it does please.

Been there done that. I wanted to love my R9 after similar issues. Worked em out. Love my R9's now ; )
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:58:55 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »
Also take apart the magazines and clean the inside like a doctor...no joke..get all the black crud out, a slow follower will give you problems for sure.. my carry mag gets cleaned every time. I will practice with mags I don't carry if I don't feel like cleaning. but always a clean mag and a clean gun. I put grease on a nylon brush and apply it to EVERYTHING, slide grooves, frame rails, barrel where it contacts anything, in the chamber lightly, on the recoil spring assy., face of hammer. If yours was mistreated you might want to totally disassemble it and clean out the hammer spring/plunger and give it a good once over, if your skill set allows such disassembly. These little pistols work great when you take the time and care seriously, The recoil spring takes a absolute beating because of the miniature size of the slide/mass and need replacing on a regular schedule...100rnds=$5.00 per spring. Both of mine run flawlessly with Gold Dots 115 or 124.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:02:11 PM by MICHPATRIOT »

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 07:20:51 PM »
I just ordered new springs. The gun came with a few... But I'll get new ones just so I know for sure. The gold dots are in back order everywhere.

Offline MICHPATRIOT

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 07:31:51 PM »
You might try Winchester silvertips115gr, or their train/defend line. Winchester Ranger 147gr also run fine in mine..Hard primers are A likely suspect with the magtech line..with the failure to fire. 

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
I was running the train and defend Winchester 147g... Same problems

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 07:47:19 PM »
The old tracker ammo seek pulled up a few options for ya.

Here is the cheapest

http://sgammo.com/product/speer/50-round-box-9mm-speer-gold-dot-124-grain-standard-pressure-le-hollow-point-ammo-53618

Also Speer Lawman was designed specifically to mimick identically Speer gold dot in oal etc. I have found mine to run lawman and gold dot equally. So you could get a couple boxes of lawman and 1 box of gold dot if you wanted. That being said some guys don't believe in such frugality for self defense in such a picky eater.

Also, for what it's worth I almost never clean my Mags. Never replaced my Mag springs either for what it's worth.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 08:39:17 PM »
Welcome to the forum Bell. I see the members are already giving you all of the good pointers you will need to enjoy the R9. Take your time, read the threads here and it will be a good firearm for it's designed purpose. . . . . Deep concealment with viable firepower from the 9mm round. If I may ask, what serial number approximately is your pistol as there were some subtle changes during our 12 years or so of production. This may help me give you some insights to your particular R9.

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 11:20:24 PM »
Serial number is R5781. Thank you so much for the help. If there are any recommend repairs needed, please let me know.

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 11:22:36 PM »
Try some federal hydra shock ammo....might help...once you find the right ammo you will be set.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 12:24:18 PM »
If you successfully shoot the LWS  your grip is not the problem.  As recommended, get it clean and lubricated.  Keep it cool when shooting (ie: rest it between mags).  Check your springs.  If it has the same problems with different mags, the mag is not the problem.  IMPORTANT:  in a very few of these fine pistols the firing pin retainer is, or becomes, out of spec and by moving sideways a fraction, puts enough friction on the slide to slow the cycle, causing all of the problems you mentioned.  You can tell by gently moving the retainer with a small screwdriver...if it moves to the side, sent it back for warranty repair.

http://s778.photobucket.com/user/Adamsavage/media/Mobile%20Uploads/R9%20firing%20pin%20retainer%20issue%20006_zpsrpyuw2ij.jpg.html?filters[user]=103312389&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Bell3156

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 02:43:08 PM »
Backupr9... that photobucket link is broken. Are there reputable gun smiths in arizona somewhere that could take care of this incase it needs a repair?

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 10:34:41 PM »
Williams gunsights and repairs does the warranty work for Remington who bought the Rohrbaugh design and rights to make it.

(800) 530-9028

Ask for Alex or Alec. Not sure.

If it has a problem they will pay to have it sent to them as well as the repair in our experience.

John Stuart Mill

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 11:14:06 AM »
Bell, what Josh says.  The part is specific to the pistol so Williams is the way to go.  Sorry about the link, it was working when I posted it yesterday.  There have been pictures, including those posted by me, over the past several years....can anbody resurrect one for this thread?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis