Author Topic: R45?  (Read 18682 times)

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
Re: R45?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 09:08:17 PM »
R9SCarry:

I enjoy your posts and have learned a lot from your range reports and comments.  That said, I will follow your pistol recommendations but I reserve the right to reject your fashion statements regarding socks and footware :-)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 10:11:34 PM »
but I reserve the right to reject your fashion statements regarding socks and footware

Murray - your right is sacrosanct!  I also would say that .. at my age now I hardly know what a ''fashion statement'' is ... it's all down to ''what works'' at the time ... added to which I have learned the art (if one can call it such!) of laughing at myself before any other bugger has a chance!

I think they call it- 'thick skinned''!  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 10:12:12 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 10:40:37 PM »
R9SCarry:
You are absolutely correct.  We'll both live a lot longer with such attitudes.  Joking aside, I do appreciate all of the info you and a some others can be counted on to provide.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 11:34:57 PM »
I do appreciate all of the info you and a some others can be counted on to provide.
...... that Sir is a kind comment and thank you.  You are most welcome. :)

Much of this board/forum deal is sharing - of opinion and  experience.  It is a feedback system in many ways .. and my feeling is simply .. if I have a thought or experience, it just might be of interest to others .... same way as I have profitted from contributions by others.

No board can survive and prosper without input ... sometimes that is flippant, sometimes serious - but the result is still a ''gathering round the table'' .. to exchange ideas and debate.. usually and hopefully in the end ... a beneficial experience for all participants.

I find myself spending way too much time on the boards generally but .. when I can I do and derive great pleasure from  the interchange of thought.. and even sometimes a pleasant feeling of friendship and cameraderie that comes with a common interest and goal.

ENOUGH!  Any who know me are aware that I ramble .. it's one of my sins.!!  
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2004, 12:13:07 AM »
GeorgeH,

Was this the "pocket 45" you were referring to early in this thread?

Not being pleased with the POA/POI variance when I shot the Bersa Thunder 45, my understanding dealer allowed me to swap it out for the Millennium Pro PT145 today.  10+1, it's not a pocket gun -- but it is not much bigger than my KT P-357...

I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2004, 10:04:57 AM »
Hi Fly,

I had never really looked at either of these guns before and I appreciate your posting the high quality pictures of them. The only .45s I have been able to pocket carry, in some very deep pockets, are my Para-Ordnance C.6.45 LDA and my Para-Ordnance P-10 Limited. I have an Alessi pocket holster that was made for a Colt Defender that works for both of them. Thank you again for posting the pictures.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2004, 05:31:44 PM »
"Making a pocket-sized .45 (even if it only had a 4 + 1 capacity) for like you say -- under $1000, might be very marketable."

After seeing the quality of the R-9 I'd get in line to buy a
R-45!  I don't mean to start rumors here, but I was talking to Eric in January and the subject of a Rohrbaugh .45 did come up. I got the impression that it was an early idea of the Rohrbaugh company to make a pocketable .45 in addition to the 9mm.

I asked Eric whether it would have been a .45 ACP or a .45 GAP. Eric said it would have been a .45 ACP, but they were going to let any consideration of a .45 wait until they were really well ahead of the game in producing the 9mms.

Anyway, it seems possible the distant future could hold more very interesting offerings from Rohrbaugh.

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2004, 11:07:28 AM »
Hi 9mil.mouse,

I shudder at the thought of firing a true pocket sized, light weight .45 acp, but then again it might not be any worse than some of the Airlight titanium S&Ws. My titanium S&W Centenial beats me up pretty good while I can shoot my stainless steel Centenial 640-1 all day without discomfort. Like you, I would get in line to buy a Rohrbaugh .45. In the mean time, I am sure that I will be very happy with my R9s when I get it.

Offline 9mil.mouse

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2004, 06:48:36 PM »
Hi shooterjb,

It does make me flinch to think of firing a tiny *lightweight* .45, but I can't help wondering if the key word is'nt lightweight.

If it had a stainless frame and slide and consequently had more mass than something with an aluminum or titanium frame, with Rohrbaugh quality I bet it could be a great little companion.

9mil.mouse

P.S.  I suspect you're going to LOVE your R9s!  

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2004, 10:14:32 PM »
Hi Fly:

I just got back in from a short fly fishing trip. The Taurus isn't it. I just have to do some research.

Thank's for the ankle holster photo's. I'm now rethinking ankle holsters.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2004, 10:17:44 PM »
Hi Frank:

I don't know how punishing a light weight 45 would be. But I do think it would be milder that a lightweight 357 mag. I mean, one of my all time favorite calibers was the 41 mag, and I thought the felt recoil of that caliber was less than a 357 mag.

Maybe I'm just getting weird in my old age....

Offline flyandscuba

• Master
  • Ivan, Dennis, and Katrina - enough is enough!
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2004, 10:54:14 PM »
GeorgeH,

This has got to be it....

The AMT Back-up .45 -- I had forgotten about that model.

I'm not a gun expert -- but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2004, 01:20:10 AM »
Hi Fly:

Nope. That's not it either. I'm going to do some research and find out the gun I saw.

P.S. I love the size of the AMT, but the trigger really sucked.

Offline harrydog

• Master
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2004, 08:29:03 AM »
I don't know if a truly pocketable .45 would be something I would really want. I suspect the recoil would be nasty enough to discourage me from wanting to shoot it.
I think something a little larger, about the size of the Kahr K9 or MK9, would be great though. I think recoil would be quite reasonable on something that size. The K9 all but disappears in a good IWB holster.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2004, 01:25:51 AM »
It was a Bersa.