Author Topic: I'm seeing frame wear - any comments?  (Read 15529 times)

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
Re: I'm seeing frame wear - any comments?
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2005, 01:21:53 PM »
Good job, R(SCarry. Now if the rest of the explanation (wearing) comes in that clearly, we will all know exactly what's happenin'.

Thanks.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
e: I'm seeing frame wear - any comments?
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2005, 02:13:20 PM »
R9SCarry
No, it goes like this, " How does that pistol work?"

"After a loaded magazine is fully inserted in the mag well, you pull the slide fully to the rear and ............'

What's a fully loaded Magazine?" .........and  "what's A Mag well?"

:D
RJ=

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
Re: e: I'm seeing frame wear - any comments?
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2005, 03:33:28 PM »
R9SCarry
No, it goes like this, " How does that pistol work?"

"After a loaded magazine is fully inserted in the mag well, you pull the slide fully to the rear and ............'

What's a fully loaded Magazine?" .........and  "what's A Mag well?"

:D
Not funny, Hedley.

Are you 'makin fun' of the questioning?

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2005, 07:08:00 PM »
My R9S is expected within days.  Naturally, it's  somewhat alarming to hear reports about slide wear.  UPDATE: frame wear, not slide wear.   Sorry.  

My impression is that wear was noticed on some of the early pistols.  It is not unreasonable to think the fix has been applied to current production models.

Meanwhile, based on all reports, I have absolute faith that any and all problems will be corrected by Rohrbaugh.

I hope Karl will add a Technical Support section on the factory web site, where we can read the official reports direct from the factory.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 09:33:49 AM by Michigunner »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2005, 07:17:08 PM »
Michigunner - just to mention - not SLIDE wear in fact - this is the wear on the frame!  There has been one case I believe where a slide has shown a crack, which is a different situation entirely. :)
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2005, 07:20:39 PM »
Whoops!  Thanks, Chris.

I meant to say frame wear.

Bill

Offline Datan

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2005, 02:47:04 AM »
I have an update - I will link to the voicemail that Karl left me regarding the details/status of the gun.  I must say that the service is outstanding.  They received the gun in the AM and had it modified/fixed within ~4 hrs and Karl called me with an update that same day.  

Here is a link to the .MP3 (I apologize for the poor quality):  http://members.cox.net/datan42/KR.mp3

If for some reason you can't hear the message, Karl refers to the contour of the barrel being changed and that the wear seen is not an issue.  They refinished the frame after taking off the burrs.  I will post the "after" pictures as soon as I get the gun back.
Brian

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2005, 04:21:27 AM »
That is an example of first class service.    

Thanks for sharing the information, Brian.

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2005, 08:14:01 AM »
I have an update - I will link to the voicemail that Karl left me regarding the details/status of the gun.  I must say that the service is outstanding.  They received the gun in the AM and had it modified/fixed within ~4 hrs and Karl called me with an update that same day.  

Here is a link to the .MP3 (I apologize for the poor quality):  http://members.cox.net/datan42/KR.mp3

If for some reason you can't hear the message, Karl refers to the contour of the barrel being changed and that the wear seen is not an issue.  They refinished the frame after taking off the burrs.  I will post the "after" pictures as soon as I get the gun back.
Brian

Whew! (Big sigh of relief)
One of the few suspects was the contour of the bbl which contacts the frame. I am really pleased at Eric & Co's rapid response and hope that is that.

Mine's due sometime in Sept....or Nov.... or......

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2005, 12:13:13 PM »
Thx for the feedback Brian - in fact the MP3 played quite well enough to hear.  I think overall as I see it, this pretty much supports some of my thinking.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2005, 01:39:49 PM »
Audio came thru great for me...

Sounds like Great service to me.. :)

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2005, 01:28:57 AM »
Thanks Brian for putting on the audio - it was nice to hear the reasons right from Karl.  I'm sure it made many of us feel better - it did me.  Would be interesting to see what they did to the barrel contour.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Datan

http://meRe: I'm seeing frame wear - any comments?
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2005, 02:41:14 AM »
Busy week so it took me some time to break the gun down and snap a few pics.  Here is what they did: (1) rounded the rear edge of the barrel, (2) changed the guide rod, (3) changed the extractor spring, (4) changed the barrel pin.  Don't think items 2 - 4 were needed (I had changed the barrel pin previously to the new harder version) but were nice.  Item #1 was the main work.  The newer guide rod looks more polished and the has a beveled front edge.  Here are the relevant pics:  

The barrel post "update" - notice the back edge of the barrel - it is rounded.

The barrel pre "update" (old pic) - notice the sharp edge at the back of the barrel.

They knocked off the burrs:

Here is the new guide rod:

Here is the old guide rod (old pic) - notice the absence of the bevel on the front:

Happy to have the gun back in my pocket!  The factory again stated that this wear was normal.. actually, the invoice stated "wear is excellent" :).
Brian
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 02:45:22 AM by Datan »

Offline whoisjohngalt

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2005, 07:22:06 AM »
WOW!  Top Notch service!!!!!!   ;)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2005, 05:59:12 PM »
Brian,

Top notch before and after pics - thanks from all of us.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."