Author Topic: Range trip with my R9 & Black Talon ammo  (Read 3377 times)

Offline JoeGagmo

Range trip with my R9 & Black Talon ammo
« on: April 18, 2018, 08:32:37 PM »
My son took me to the range last Saturday where we had a ball shooting a few of my Berettas, (I’ve been a Beretta fanatic & collector since the 80’s - now my son finally is also), and we both ended our session blowing off 2mags each of Winchester FMJ plinking ammo in our R9’s.  I handed him one last mag loaded with Black Talon ammo, (that I’ve been hoarding since my PD days). He asked what ammo it was, and I told him to just try it, it’s what I carry in all my guns - he could not believe the difference in the amount of kick it gave him - “Dad, we’re not supposed to put +P ammo thru our Rohrbaugh’s ya know!”   I assured him it wasn’t +P as I would not do that to our R9’s, but just 147gr. Hollow point instead of 115gr. Fmj.  Sure enough, I got the same bit of extra kick that he experienced,  and we both had great groupings. 
The second we got home I dismantled both guns and inspected both under an Ott light and magnifier -
all was as good as new. 

Has anyone else tried Black Talon in their R9, and if so, opinions Please.  (Yes, I know it’s not a normal carry ammo that very many people use or want to pay the price for).  Although not +P ammo, is 147gr. hollow point BT pushing the envelope with the R9?  I do not want to damage my EDC in any way, shape, or form, and would greatly appreciate some knowledgeable opinions.  Thanks one and all !