Author Topic: Silver frame R9 innards! (for Murray)  (Read 7253 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Silver frame R9 innards! (for Murray)
« on: August 13, 2004, 12:18:53 AM »
Mike - per your request on this thread .. here are some pics of my silver frame R9s taken down, somewhat like Justin's pics.

Comments first .... this came straight out of my pocket - there is lint I haven't gotten off totally!!.  I also have kept exposures reduced to try and capture the frame surface - not easy in one or two.  Plus - I did not put as much time to shooting these pics as I might have... (that's my excuses out the way! ;D )

I thought of a 100% total take down but was shy of removing hammer, hammer spring and housing ...... anticipating reassembly being a tad tricky! I have also reduced the pics dramatically, and so you may see on some some ''pixilated'' effects ... ''staircase'' sorta deal on slight diagonals ... sorry but - that happens.

Here we go then .....

Right side - grips removed ... trigger assembly in place

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right side again .. with trigger group dismantled.

Left side, grips removed.

Slide assembly, broken down

The insides of the grip panels

And, for completeness .... a disassembled mag'

Further comments ... the more I look at these components - the more I am totally impressed by design features.  As an engineer I keep seeing both excellent design tricks - as well as the sheer tight tolerancing.  Heck - these grips are a work of art in themselves when it comes to tolerances and fit.

A word of warning .... the left grip panel in particular - must not be prized off ........ just ''eased''.  In my case the relief/engagement counterbores in the panel for trigger pivot pin and hammer spring housing retaining pin .... actually held those pins and was tending to bring pins with it ..... so, please - very careful easing such that grip panel remains aligned to frame.  Patience and care - that does it.!

I'd add too that - this degree of takedown is not necessary as ordinary maintainance ..... despite the amount of ammo I have shot ... 300 plus ... the inside of these areas (under grips) was not needy of cleaning at all.  Did notice tho - mere point of interest ..... some small ''soot circles'' in mag well .... due I assume to some gas creeping back down inside mag and then out the sides thru the holes!  No biggie at all.

Oh - one other observation ....... on one shoot i did allow upper right grip panel screw to loosen a bit too much ... as a result I noticed that the upper trigger return spring ''peg'' on the frame, had a slight burr on its upper and outer edge .. not easy to see but - brings home to me the importance of the part the grip panels play.

I shall be re-assembling using Loctite as per directions.

Hope that covers it - will have to edit later if I have forgotten stuff.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline shelb

• Expert
Re: Silver frame R9 innards! (for Murray)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 12:33:57 AM »
Very nice!
I too had noticed the soot circles before.  :)  I also had the same small burr on my spring post.

Is your serial # 32 or is that edited?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 12:34:44 AM by shelb »

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 12:37:29 AM »
Chris:
As usual you have done an outstanding job and I appreciate the time you take to assist those of us lacking your engineering skills and mechanical abilities.  Have no fear, I will never take down my R9S to the extent you have.

Looking at your photos I can't help but be reminded that the fit & finish of the "innards" are comparable to that of my Ed Brown Kobra Carry.  And those of you who know the rep Ed has for fit & finish know that is quite a complement.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 12:45:30 AM »
Mike - you are most welcome ... seemed worth the effort also just for further gen info for all really.  Don't think we can have too much - particularly for the prospective buyers!

Shelby ...
[size=13]Is your serial # 32 or is that edited?[/size]

I confess .. usual paranoia .. yeah, just removed the last digit.!! ::) ;D
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 12:50:34 AM »
Chris:
How do you reassemble your slide, barrel, and recoil guide rod?  I wasn't able to fit the recoil guide rod assembly into the frame with the barrel in place.  I had to put the guide rod in first and hold it under tension then insert the barrel.  What have you found?
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 01:02:25 AM »
Justin .. well, I gotta think 3D here and try and describe .....

Ok ... so take whole assembly as one ... mainspring on it's guide rod and end cap on end.  What may be holding you up I fancy is  ----- you may not be able to get inner guide rod thru the mainspring ''cup'' while trying to align with hole in front of slide.  Once more we have tight tolerancing having an effect I daresay.

Wish I could give you a demo - makes it easier.  Anyways .. as you offer up the mainspring end cup to slide end hole ... drop other end as much as possible until it touches barrel - then - try and raise the end of inner guide rod such that it can go thru end cap ... it is just a ''juggling act'' and frankly - hard to describe in much more detail.  Wish I could shoot a small vid clip or something!

I guess your method is Ok too - it obviously works!  Experiment - and i think possibly you will stumble on the alternative method i use.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline BillinPittsburgh

• Master
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 11:50:44 AM »
Very nice and useful pictures!

Re:  how far to take the gun apart for routine cleaning, I think a detailed disassembly and cleaning should be done every few thousand rounds.  A couple of my own learning experiences:

1)  The first time I had my Glock ultrasonically cleaned (maybe 4,000 rounds through it at the time, field-stripped and cleaned after every time shooting), the range staff found enough crud in the firing pin channel to interfere with striker movement.  I hadn't had any misfires, but it was coming if I hadn't had it cleaned.

2)  Lately the trigger pull on my Glock was significantly heavier than it should be (I use an 8 lb. trigger spring and 3.5 lb. connector).  I disassembled the gun almost completely, and found that powder residue buildup between the trigger bar and connector was causing unnecessary friction.  Upon cleaning and reassembly, the trigger pull was back to what is should be.
Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2004, 04:00:19 PM »
Justin .. a rider to my previous comment, re putting recoil ass'y back in place.

I have just fitted a new ass'y ... as Eric sent me a replacement.  My old ass'y is going back because it could unscrew just a tad on the inner recoil rod.

Turns out my mainspring had shortened quite a bit relative to new one and so - it was definitely easier getting it back in place.  My old spring is approx 300 rounds old .. plus having sat in the gun now quite some while.

I noticed with this new ass'y - MUCH less easy - and probably nearer the degree of difficulty you described.  It can still be done my way - but it is harder to get inner rod end lined up to go thru end cap .. needs lot of jiggling around.

As an experiment - I tried your way and yeah - that can work.  Quite well actually.  Main thing is keeping recoil ass'y sufficiently compressed whilst sliding barrel back in underneath.  Does work tho!

Sorry if I made my way sound easier than it is - it is now obvious the degree of difficulty is relevant to how new or old the spring is!
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline justin2992

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2004, 11:01:32 PM »
Chris:
Can you post a pic of the exterior tip of the updated guide rod assembly.  I'm curious if your new one has a shiny circular pattern or a matte finish to match slide like in this pic:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 11:02:12 PM by justin2992 »
The 1938 Nazi Weapons Law is alive and well in the United States, and is called, "The Gun Control act of 1968", and is enforced by the modern day gestapo, known as the BATF.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 02:49:07 PM »
Justin .... well, here ya go.  Not exact same angle, or lighting I'm afraid (forgot to use some front fill-in) - did it fairly quick.  Did tho try and get close to the wrong white balance from last lot!!

As you'll see hopefully ... indeed the new ass'y does show the shiny (as machined) finish on end of inner guide rod, and, with a more generous chamfer.  I would think this speeds up machining somewhat and certainly is no biggie for me, although the matte finish is slightly more pleasing.

On a flippant note - no one is gonna see that when gun in pocket and .. last thing a BG will be concerned about when facing the pup is whether there are any changes to finish!!  ;D ;D

Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2004, 08:33:02 AM »
I love those small angular cuts,  it is SOooo precise !
RJ=

Offline Ratzo

• Forum Contributor
  • Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 08:23:02 PM »
Now you know when they say (A Picture is worth a Thousand Words) This will be a Great Reference when I take mine down.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 10:08:36 PM »
Just so folks know - this same pic set is now on the FAQ site.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site