Author Topic: Range report for the R9  (Read 17967 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Range report for the R9
« on: January 03, 2013, 12:30:00 AM »
I purchased an R9s Stealth from Tom Watson  / Irish Gaurd and got it last Saturday.

http://irishguardfirearmsltd.com/contact.htm

Tom is a great guy to work with.

The pistol is very well put together, high quality fit & finish.  The DAO trigger is very smooth, only a slight amount of stacking toward the very end and it has a fairly crisp break.  Cycling the pistol was a little herky-jerky and there was a lot of clink-ka-chink to it.

I posted this same range report on a few other forums and immediately got negative feedback on the R9 being too expensive, a few people spouted off about the Kel-Tec being lighter and a whole lot cheaper...  yada yada yada.

As you guys know, it's a true pocket pistol, it fits comfortably in a normal Levi jeans front pocket and dissapears from view.  We all know there are people out there who drop a Glock 26 in their cargo pocket and declare the G26 a "pocket" pistol.  Other people stuff an  "ultra" compact 9mm in their front pocket and even though its bulging out all over and sticking out the top - it's a pocket pistol and no one can say otherwise.  We know the R9 is a true pocket nine.  I'm comfortable walking with it, sitting down and standing back up, driving, seat belt on, whatever - it's very comfortable.

I think only people on this forum would understand this but my favorite thing about the R9 is just carrying it.  I forget it's there, it doesn't poke me, it doesn't weigh my pants down, but I know I have  7 rounds of potent 9mm conflict-stoppers if I should need them.

Well the first thing I did was read the manual and field strip the firearm.  I then inspected it (fit & finish were excellent).  I then cleaned it.  It wasn't dirty so this really only amounted to wiping off the factory oil.  I then lubed it in the spots that the manual called for.  I used  Tri-flow oil for everything except the end of the barrel, and under the barrel - inside the link.  (I think it's called a link?)  On the end of the barrel and inside the link I used a tiny bit of Lubriplate SFL-0.

I had a really tough time reassembling it.  In my clean workspace, I dropped and lost the retaining pin twice.  It took me 10 or so minutes to find it the second time, I thought it went down a vent but i did eventually find it.  I am guessing it took me 30 or so minutes to get the pistol back together. 

Although I've gotten better at it since, I really need this tool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58xJ9Fv0P6Y

I went to the range and fired a box of 124gr Gold Dots.  It went through the 50 rounds without a hitch and that's important to me.  My plan is to just use 124 gr Gold Dots for the first 100 rounds.   I also have 124gr Lawman which I will use.  When I get past 250 rounds of the 124gr stuff I plan to test out Winchester  Ranger "T" Series 147gr JHPs - RA9T.  I'm really hoping my R9 likes those rounds because I like the way they perform in the FBI tests and the 4 layer denim engineering protocol.  But the first 100 rounds will be 124gr Gold Dots, followed by Lawman 124gr TMJs.

The recoil is snappy with this little pistol, my trigger finger got twacked quite a bit and it wasn't fun to shoot, but I didn't buy it as a range toy.  I purchased some batting gloves just for shooting the R9 and I wore one glove over my shooting hand for the range session. 

I used a thumbs forward grip and I don't have it all quite worked out yet.  I had to readjust my grip each time and I was very slow for follow up shots.  I actually do better with follow up shots firing one handed, and at close distances I'm sure it would be better for me to fire it one handed.  But anyway, firing with a Weaver stance and thumbs forward grip - slow fire at 15 yards I was able to keep 5-shot groups under 2" which I'm happy with for the first time out with this pistol.

I'm mainly happy that the little pistol fired 50 trouble-free rounds, that is the most important thing for me right now.  When I got home from the range I cleaned it, it cleans up fairly easy.  I was surprised how much fifty rounds smoothed the pistol out.   The herky-jerky clink-ka-chink was gone.  Pulling the slide back and chambering a Snap-Cap was much much smoother.  I suspect it will only get smoother with use.

I have a Nemesis holster for it, and one of the things I am experiencing is that the R9 comes out of my pocket still wearing its holster.  I may be able to learn to brush the holster off on the draw, it may just be this particular pair of jeans - they are old and they had a relaxed fit to begin with.  Or I may need to purchase one of those really high quality leather pocket holsters from the top-notch holster makers listed in various posts on this forum, we'll see.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:39:37 AM by C0untZer0 »

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
Re: Range report for the R9
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 12:40:47 AM »
People who get the R9 obviously don't get it to prepare for a protracted gun battle.  I figure 7 rounds is enough to cover most situations I could get into (I know the R9 doesn't prepare me for every possible situation).  Bit as part of that thinking, I wasn't counting on ever being able to do a mag change with the heel release.  But I work for home a lot and I've been practicing mag changes and it's not as impossible as I thought.  I drop my right ring finger under the magazine and push up while using my left index finger to pull the magazine latch back.  I think I'm just going to get faster and faster with practice.

I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes.  The two things coming up are integrating Lawman 124gr TMJs and finally testing the RA9Ts in the R9  - that is the big test because that's what I'm really hoping to carry.

I'm tapped out financially right now, so I have to make due with factory grips.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:47:46 AM by C0untZer0 »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:31:45 AM »
Count:

Congratulations on the purchase of your R9 Stealth. Im glad that Tom Watson ("theirishguard") was able to get you the model you wanted. And your range report sounds like you are on a roll with your new EDC.

As for those few people on "other forums" who "spouted off about the Kel-Tec being lighter and a whole lot cheaper...  yada yada yada," I'll give odds that none of them bothered to mention that the PF-9, with its "plastic" frame, is .65" longer than the R9, with its aircraft aluminum frame. As far as I am concerned, comparing the PF-9 to the R9 is a lot like comparing a Timex watch to a Rolex chronograph. In either case, the former is an expendable piece of gear while the latter is a masterpiece of form and function.

Congratulations again!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 07:33:52 AM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »
Count - sounds like you are off to a great start.   Everybody will never "get it", that's just the way it is.  I second Richard's thoughts exactly, and that's coming from a Kel-Tec owner of both the PF-9 and P11.  I carried the P-11 for many years and jumped on the R9 as soon as I saw it.

NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:04:32 PM »
I owned a KelTec PF9...it didn't feed well, even after a trip back to the factory to "polish the feed ramp"; it rattled when shaken, and had a terrible trigger pull.  Traded off and R9 purchased.

A bit of gratuitous advice from one who has a bin of excellent and expensive holsters:  for front pocket carry the only one I have that is light, comfortable, fits front or rear pocket and has no give-away printing is the DeSantis Superfly...AND it NEVER comes out of the pocket with the pistol.  You can remove the square backpad (velcro) for a smaller pocket, put it on for larger and for rear pocket.  The sticky finish keeps it in the pocket.  It is cheap and it even looks nice.  It is convenient and practical.  I usually wear a Del Fatti OWB to show off, but since ""concealed" means hidden, that is pretty infrequent.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:46:27 PM »
Count:

The late R. J. Hedley developed a "Limited" front-pocket holster with a tab at the forward edge that can be used to push the holster down with the thumb during the draw.  RJ's daughter, Lisa, could make one for you and even monogram it, as RJ did for me:

http://hedleyholsters.com/rohrbaugh.html
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 06:03:26 PM »
Lisa is, indeed, a very accomplished and accommodating holster maker. She reworked two of RJ's holsters for me and they looked like new after she applied her considerable and well trained talent.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:05:07 PM by tracker »

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »
Thanks for the holster recomendations.

And you guys are right - some people are not going to get it EVER.  I just read a post about the Shield this morning where someone said "It'll do pocket carry in a big enough pocket." 

What kind of logic is that?   The statement is meaningless.  A Desert Eagle 40 AE will do "pocket carry" in a big enough pocket.  Did we stop teaching critical thinking in our schools or something?

Well to each their own...

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »

I just read a post about the Shield this morning where someone said "It'll do pocket carry in a big enough pocket." 

ROFL !

Well by that logic, every pistol in my gun safe is a pocket pistol!

And I have a few Auto Mags and Wildeys, and 8" scoped revolvers - they don't get any/much bigger.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 05:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the holster recomendations.

And you guys are right - some people are not going to get it EVER.  I just read a post about the Shield this morning where someone said "It'll do pocket carry in a big enough pocket." 

What kind of logic is that?   The statement is meaningless.  A Desert Eagle 40 AE will do "pocket carry" in a big enough pocket.  Did we stop teaching critical thinking in our schools or something?

Well to each their own...

My new, improved "pocket pistol" . . . as soon as my tailor completes the work. (He's adding a left-side pocket to accommodate a 7-pound barbell for balance.)   ;)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 05:38:17 PM »
 ;D

Right - you need the barbell for balance otherwise you walk crooked...

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 11:19:03 PM »
Richard, forget the barbell, packet 250 rounds instead! (loaded in mags of course 8))

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 03:03:14 AM »
I put 55 rounds through my R9 tonight.

I know that sounds like an odd number.

I shot a box of 124gr Gold Dots, the range was about to close and I only had time for another 5 rounds or so.  I switched to 124gr Lawman TMJs and shot five of those and called it a night. 

No problems whatsoever and oddly enough I think I'm getting used to the recoil. 

I did a lot more one handed firing tonight.  This was 7 shots firing one handed at 21 feet:

Offline ricardo

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 05:32:14 AM »
Thats very nice grouping for that distance. Curious though, was that from a standing and aiming position or did you fire any of those from a pocket draw? Thanks, R
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!!

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »
Ranges in my area do not allow drawing from a holster(or a pocket).  So this was going from the low ready postion.