Author Topic: New R9S given to my son, shot spectacular  (Read 3162 times)

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
New R9S given to my son, shot spectacular
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:22:12 PM »
I recently obtained a new R9S stealth from Tom Watson for my son as a present for completing his secondary MOS as a Medic. His previous MOS was weapons and he has already served one tour in Afghanistan.   He wanted  a R9S, I already had one and so I surprised him with one.   We went to the range today.  He was pleased with how it shot with 124 grain both hydrashok and Gold Dot.  He tried 147 grain hydrashok and he thought it might be OK too.    He had been shooting at 45 feet (15 yards) and I sat down and held it one handed over a single sandbag with 147 grain hydrashok and used a 50ft small bore target at 21 feet.   6 rds and the first was apparently a flier but I hadn't called it as a bad shot.   You judge the rest.  My son said "you hit it twice very nicely but where are the rest of them."  I said "they're there, well see them on the next cease fire."    You be the judge as to whether 147 grain hydrashok is any good.

That is considerably better than my R9S will do with the same ammo and technique.   Both mine and his are identical except for serial but not that far apart.  I had lapped my barrel with JB Bore Cleaner prior to shooting it the first time and I did the same for his when it arrived.   About 10 minutes each for the JB treatment.   After shooting the first time, they were each JB'd again afterwards.    His barrel had looked a bit rough to me when new.  Mine had looked perfect.  Neither gave any dark streaks in the lands or grooves after the first JB treatment and shooting and cleaning.   The second treatment merely polished them further.    My opinion is that this is better accuracy than anyone has a right to expect from the little pistols on their best day.   By the way, I was using a 6 o'clock hold which means his R9S shoots just about right to the point of aim with that ammo.   Guess what ammo he is now carrying in it?  
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:28:28 AM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: New R9S given to my son, shot spectacular
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:34:20 PM »
I'd say good shooting anyway you look at it; 147 grain; nice.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: New R9S given to my son, shot spectacular
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:36:29 PM »
Pretty impressive!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE