Author Topic: First time with R9 at the range  (Read 5915 times)

Joe_from_NY

First time with R9 at the range
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:52:51 AM »
I picked up my R9 this week from my guy at South Shore Sportsman in Seaford Long Island then went to the county range to warm it up. I ran one 50 round box of cheapo Independence brand ball ammo and two 50 round boxes of the LE branded Gold-Dot 115 gr. HP stuff. I had no malfunctions, no FTF's and no FTE's out of 150 rounds. That LE branded stuff in 50 round boxes is the way to go. It was a great deal from ammotogo http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/50rds-9mm-speer-le-gold-dot-115gr-hp-ammo/cName/9mm-hollow-point-ammo .  I sometimes had trouble hitting paper further away, probably due to the lack of sights on my R9, but it functioned flawlessly.  The slide was getting warm after awhile, so i switched off to try my Seecamp 380. That little gun beat  the hell out of my hand. The Seecamp really makes you appreciate the (comparatively) tame recoil of the Rohrbaugh. After a few magazines worth of that self abuse, i dropped the Seecamp 380 back into my jeans pocket, and finished off the remaining 9MM rounds in my R9. Upon breaking down the gun for cleaning, i observed the recoil spring to be about 1/4 inch smaller than a new one. Since it is cycling fine, i will leave it in for now, and probably change it out during or after the next range visit. One thing is don't forget to bring a proper allen wrench with you for the grip screws. My VZ grip screws kept getting loose after shooting one magazine. I will have to loctite them before i go back to the range.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:09:53 PM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: First time with R9 at the range
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 11:59:42 AM »
Good to hear those kind of reports.

And thanks for the link, I saved it.  I know Flintsghost reccomends that LEO ammo too.

Nice pic
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline JR956678

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:01:22 PM »
Excellent report Joe - thanks for sharing with us!

Offline TBI

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »
Wow...I had my R9S for 2 years and I haven't fired 150 rounds through it yet.  I think I'm afraid to field strip it.

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 10:21:25 PM »
i wanted to put a bunch of rounds through it before i rely on it enough to carry it so if it was going to hiccup, i would most likely find out within 150 rounds. I spent 24 years carrying  a S&W model 10 and/or model 36, both simple and solidly reliable revolvers, so if i am going to have one gun on me, i want it to have thrown a bunch of lead downrange without any problems. I got spoiled for years just pulling the trigger and not worrying about jams, FTF's, FTE's, etc... so i want no problems from a carry gun. My Kahr P380 works flawlessly even at this point after more than 1000 rounds (after sending it back to the factory after having it one day, but that's another story). Even my two Seecamps have fired a few hundred rounds each after Larry Seecamp fixed both of them to the point where they work perfectly. In a semi-auto, if i get two malfunctions, i try different ammo. If i get a third, it goes back to the factory for tune-up. No way would i carry a pistol that malfunctioned with different brands of ammo without the factory looking it over. Then when i get it back again, i put hundreds of rounds through it before  i consider it reliable. If i wanted 1 or 2 guaranteed shots out of a gun, i could carry a derringer and really conceal it. if i carry anything bigger, it better function perfectly. Like I say, i got spoiled by those two revolvers over the years. I even went years without cleaning either of them, and they always went bang when i wanted them to...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:14:15 AM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline TBI

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
I got it...I'll start shooting it more.  

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 12:03:09 AM »
Filed stripping it was easy once you get the pin out. if you are elderly with arthritis, it could be tough, or impossible to hold the slide back while screwing around with that pin, and putting it back together is not too trivial either. But if you are an average guy, you can handle it. I did it with only a toothpick to push the pin out. I squeezed the rod and recoil spring together by hand to seat it in the slide. If i can do it, any average Joe can.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:08:04 AM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »
I agree with Joe, one has to be sure it works and confident in it, if one is going to carry it.

Joe the tool that is sold here on the forum for disassembly and reassembly makes that chore cake even for an old duffer like me.  I have done it without the tool and with the tool.  I think the tool is worth it.   That's my free advice and worth every penny.  
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:47:19 PM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »
yeah, i just got the tool in the mail yesterday. Fast as hell shipping, i will say that. I didn't get a chance to use it yet. I got it with a couple of spare sets of screws for the VZ and regular grips.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 04:30:09 PM »
Wow...I had my R9S for 2 years and I haven't fired 150 rounds through it yet.  I think I'm afraid to field strip it.

I don't carry a handgun until I have fired at least 200 rounds troublefree downrange with it.

Then and only then am I confident that it will perform in a pinch.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »

I don't carry a handgun until I have fired at least 200 rounds troublefree downrange with it.

Yeah, what he said ^^^^

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 06:22:37 PM by Joe_from_NY »

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 11:47:01 PM »

^^ This is my credo as well, although I will admit to fudging a bit with the R9.  After 170 rounds without a failure, I put the PM9 and LCP in the safe.  I really like the R9's form and function.
Land of the free, because of the brave.