Author Topic: R. J. Hedley's Secret Reassembly Tool  (Read 10708 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
R. J. Hedley's Secret Reassembly Tool
« on: June 13, 2010, 06:03:50 PM »
Shortly before R. J. Hedley's untimely death he sent me, under orders to maintain it in strict confidence, a new reassembly spacer tool which he had designed for the R9. It was made from a large paper clip, no less.

As I was giving my R9 its regular weekend cleaning, it occurred to me that it might now be time to post two photographs of the paper-clip spacer -- one of it in place for inserting the recoil assembly and another showing the other fieldstripping/reassembly tools I have for my R9. R. J.'s "secret" tool fills the same function as Steve Bedair's spacer tool shown in the second the photographs. That photo also shows Steve's PVC takedown tool and a prototype of R. J.'s takedown/reassembly tool before he put the spacer in the thick end.

This may also be the first photograph I have posted of No. 132 in a state of "undress." (And for any of you sharp-eyed types who might wonder where the barrel pin is in the top photograph, it is hiding under the edge of R. J.'s "Back Pocket" holster.)   8)

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
Re: R. J. Hedley's Secret Reassembly Tool
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:10:39 PM »
Richard,
   Looks like you have everything under control with that collection of tools.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »
Richard.  Functional tools, for sure.  Thanks for sharing R.J.'s Secret Reassembly Tool.

Oh! and that 132 brings out the drool squad!    ;D  
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 07:23:08 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 10:42:42 PM »
Richard,
I had missed this thread untill now-sincerely thank you for sharing the info and pictures!!

Having a secret tool from RJ is THE coolest!! 8)
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline CaptBW

• Master
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »
Many thanks to RJ. I have one of his tools.

He is missed on these forums. His was the voice of wisdom.

We miss you RJ!
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »
I just gave my R9 its regular cleaning and found myself using the late R. J. Hedley's "secret" spacer tool fashioned from a simple paper clip. That little device is pictured in the photograph at the top of this thread,

It occurred to me that some of the newer members of the forum might not have seen this example of how a brilliant engineer's mind (and R. J. certainly was endowed with that) can see simple solutions to complex problems. I have therefore brought the thread forward in this topic.

This little spacer device of R. J.'s can provide that needed start for inserting the recoil assembly into the slide on top of the barrel when hands are still slippery from gun oil. After the recoil assembly is pushed in place, it is just a matter of aligning it to be centered in the slide, laterally and vertically [i.e., the rear of the assembly should not be depressed in the slide but elevated just enough that it rests parallel with the edge of the slide]. The slide is then attached, compressing the recoil assembly until the barrel pin can be inserted.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:33:01 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 01:35:08 PM »
Thanks RS, for bringing this forward.  Most new members certainly wouldn't know about the paper clip spacer tool of R. J. Hedley; he was one amazing man, for sure.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:58:19 PM by kjtrains »
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline gunthorp

• I do what the voices in her head tell me
    • Gunthorp
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
Hedley's tool is ingenious.  A slight modification makes it a pin pusher as well.  I stand a 9mm case on the edge of a table, invert and cant the R9, and pull the slide back to capture the case mouth in the spring assembly.  Then the trigger may be partially pulled allowing the slide to expose the pin hole.  During reassembly of the slide to the frame, pressure is applied to the outer end of the spring assembly to correctly position the inner end.
The nick of time comes right before the moment lost.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »
gunthorp:

R. J. would be proud of your extension of his design. And that is an ingenious reassembly method demonstrated in your photographs. I use a PVC device obtained from Steve Bedair, but I'm going to try that casing trick of yours.

Finally, if I have not previously welcomed you to the Forum I do so now.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline gunthorp

• Gunthorp
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 05:05:38 PM »
Thank you, sir.

It might help to watch the effect of directional pressure while the slide is off the frame.  As always when working with spring tension, I wear safety glasses,  try to avoid finger biting,  and work where flying parts can't go too far.  I might try belling the case mouth a bit for better purchase, but so far it hasn't been necessary.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:32:02 PM by gunthorp »

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »
Gunthorp, I just found your post.  It is most interesting, simple, and smart with a new twist.

Something I never would have thought of.  I just use the "meathead' approach.  Full steam ahead with both hands! ;D

May I welcome you to the forum as well sir.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline gunthorp

• Gunthorp
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »
Thank you for the welcome.

There's nothing wrong with that.  I appreciate all the good information from your posts.

Winston Churchill said "Americans always do the right thing...after they've tried everything else."

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 11:30:24 AM »
Gunthorp, welcome and thanks for the simple idea. ;D  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline socialwork911

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »
does this kit work for the 380 too??? and where can one buy it?