Author Topic: Am I right in thinking ........  (Read 32987 times)

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
Re: Am I right in thinking ........
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2005, 12:58:42 AM »
Richard,

I still grieve my dog before this also after 7 years - he passed while I was out of the country and I always felt quility for that.  This one is age 7 now and it is hard thinking of someday him not being around.  With my only child living across country the dog becomes your kid.  Many people don't understand this when a dog or cat owner looses their companion.  If the need arose I would risk my life for him without a thought.

Tom,
I look forward to hearing about your new service dog and all the things he can do.
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline dfsutton

• Sharpshooter
  • US Veteran
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2005, 11:43:44 AM »
Well,

it seems that at 24 years of age, I am not the youngest, but I am close.  I do not have an R-9s at this point, but I do have an order in with theirishguard.  I definately have tastes in more expensive handguns as I've already acquired a Beretta 8000 and a Kimber Ultra CDP II.  

It was quite a chore to talk my wife (married in June 05) into letting me have the R-9s. In fact it was only the fact that I was going to be making more money because of my impending deployment to the Middle East.  As of now, I'm stuck here in Kuwait until March of '06 , and hope to have my hands on the pup shortly after my return to the states.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 11:50:32 AM by dfsutton »
"All that is thought should not be said, all that is said should not be written, all that is written should not be published, all that is published should not be read."

- Rabbi Menachem Morgenstern

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2005, 12:21:25 PM »
David, take care in Kuwait, watch your back side and stay safe. Your pup will be waiting for you when you get back.
Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2005, 12:27:36 PM »
Dave, I got a call from the dog lady and my service dog is getting ready for me in the bull pen. He should be here in 2-3 weeks and start training with me after that.
He is a black male lab about 2-3 years old. They call him a dog handlers dog.
He will be my 17th lab that I will be woking with. The others I trained for field work.
Tom
PS  As Willy Nelson said in his song I'll take a whisky and a beer for my dog, at the pub!!!

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2005, 12:31:22 PM »
Amen to that!
Mike
doubletapMike

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2005, 01:07:58 PM »
Dave, the service dog will be able to do the following:
pick up anything that I drop
help me up if I fall
help me out of bed
open cabients and get stuff out
open doors
open the old ice box and get stuff out
bring me the phone
get help

not to bad
Tom

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »
Tom,

I hope the new dog will become a good and capable friend.

Best wishes, Bill

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2005, 02:56:09 PM »
Thanks Bill

Tom

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2005, 05:22:14 PM »
dfsutton
Welcome to the forum and you take care over there.  Tom Watson is a great guy to deal with. Got my R9 from him and have two Seecamps on order - he'll take care of you.  Now when you return what will you want to see first - the R9 or the new wife.  Any wilfe that lets her husband get a R9 is A-OK.

Tom
Getting your service dog - that is GREAT!!  I was looking at an article in a newspaper today on service dogs and I mentioned you to my wife for that reason.  It is amazing how much the dog is trained to do to help you out.

The great thing in your situation is that you have so had so many labs in the past that you know the breed better than most people.  I'm sure it willl be a benifit.  I'll be very interested to hear how the training goes.  If every guy's dog could do all of that they might just remain single.

This is my best friend - Spencer is a 66 lb. standard poodle.  What many don't understand is the standard is a hunting/water dog.  Their feet are webbed between the toes for swimming.  Now if his haircut was not five times mine.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2005, 07:04:16 PM »
I'll bet he is a "chick magnet!"
Mike
doubletapMike

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2005, 10:52:06 PM »
Mountainman,
I'll bet Spencer is smart as a whip,too.  When I was a kid our next door neighbor had a brown Standard Poodle named....Frenchy.  That dog was so intelligent, it was like having another kid in the house.  A real tough kid.
And, come to think of it, he was a hell of a swimmer.  I didn't know poodles have webbed toes.

Steve

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2005, 11:07:52 PM »
Steve,
Spencer is very smart - sometimes it is scary.  Today he was watching the Steeler game with me - got up and went to the other room and came back with his toy football without ever being told that there was an association between what was on tv and the one of many toys.
Dave

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2005, 11:32:22 PM »
Dogs are so intuitive and smart, they seem to sense things long before we are aware. They are such jewels, that you can't put a price on they're unconditional love and friendship. Those of us that have "Dog Children" are blessed indeed. I couldn't imagine my life without my 3 "girls"! ( 2 Golden's and a yellow Lab) Their companionship is such a wonderful thing. I read a quote somewhere that I don't know who to attribute it to, that went something like " All of the sadness in the world is contained in the eyes of a dog." and when I look into my aging Labs eyes, I know that it's true. If that doesn't touch your heart, I don't know what will. Thank God for Dogs.
Mike
doubletapMike

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2005, 12:04:46 AM »
I would stand in front of a bullet to save mine if needed - and he would do the same for me.
Dave

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2005, 10:07:49 AM »
Dave, as you know, the standard poodle was bred to be a water hunting dog, as in ducks and geese, in addition to upland birds.
They also are breeding Labs with Poodles, calling them labadoodles(sp) for service dogs down under. They don't shed!
My brother has one, and loves it, and yes, Mike it is a chick magnet.
Tom