Author Topic: Warning for stealth owners  (Read 4952 times)

Offline riffraff

• Master
Warning for stealth owners
« on: September 10, 2006, 02:50:46 PM »
Yesterday I cleaned my stealth.  I sprayed the slide with regular old Gunk degreaser and for some reason the degreaser took quite a bit of the "shine" off the black finish.  I have never had this happen with any other gun finish I have owned.  It does not bother me at all but for those who want to keep their stealth looking "like new", be careful what solvents you use on it.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline prydwen

Re: Warning for stealth owners
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 08:30:34 PM »
anything on that in your paperwork with the gun?
solvents are going to have to be exposed to any weapon for decent cleaning...and I've never even heard of a slide
reacting that way so quickly.  May not speak well for the
coating at all.  You guys to buy the first off the line will have to be the lab monkeys for the issues and defects in these new models. And I hope Rohrbaugh is also paying attention. Keep us posted.

Offline riffraff

• Master
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 09:08:57 PM »
prydwen,

The paperwork that comes with the stealth is identical to what comes with the standard R9.  No mention is made of the finish or solvents to the best of my knowlege.
There is STILL no ammo recomendations in the instructions.  I find this strange but the manuals were probably printed up in bulk some time ago to save money and Rohrbaugh won't make any manual changes untill they have to have a new batch printed up(just guessing).

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline jarcher

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 01:50:06 AM »
Someone from Rohrbaugh once told me that the finish is a Smith & Wesson finish that is already in production, so it's not as if the finish is a new product.

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
"If you got your Stealth, you've got everythi
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 03:57:38 PM »
Of course it doesn't preclude them putting a 'sticker' on each manual
with that info until the printed stock depletes. BTW-Desktop publishing makes this point moot. ("Moot", BTW, is one of my favorite words; I relish every opportunity to use it;^) I think Rohrbaugh doesn't  recommend ammo for other reasons. Probably legal. I can't say for sure. That's just me. YMMV.

And speaking of finishes, I've been VERY impressed with the finish on my R9. Nary a scratch on it (it's a Farmingdale!), and I'm not that gentle with it. After all, it does live in my pocket;^) You gotta admire a pistol that's willing to do that;^)

Cal

prydwen,

The paperwork that comes with the stealth is identical to what comes with the standard R9.  No mention is made of the finish or solvents to the best of my knowlege.
There is STILL no ammo recomendations in the instructions.  I find this strange but the manuals were probably printed up in bulk some time ago to save money and Rohrbaugh won't make any manual changes untill they have to have a new batch printed up(just guessing).

Mike
"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline sslater

• Master
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 06:21:54 PM »
Calvin Coolidge's comments got me to looking at my R9s.  After 14 months in daily service and 700+ rounds down the pipe, there is not a single blemish on the exterior metalwork or the carbon fiber grips.  That's pretty impressive to me!  ;D

Offline capt.koolaid

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 02:00:01 AM »
My grips look like they been thru the Korean war! Of course they arent CARBON FIBER! Maybe I should look for some. Anybody got any for sale?