Author Topic: R9 printing too much in business slacks with Nemesis  (Read 8205 times)

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
R9 printing too much in business slacks with Nemesis
« on: May 02, 2014, 03:22:57 AM »
I've been fairly happy with the DeSantis Nemesis holster, but in business slacks it really looks like a gun.

I really like the fact that the R9 is so small and light weight that I can wear a business suit and put it in the front pocket of my pants.  I'm thinking I need one of those pocket holsters with a panel?

I wanted to get people's opinions before I dropped $70+ on a holster.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Re: R9 printing too much in business slacks with Nemesis
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:03:14 AM »
Count:

I'm checking into the Forum here in my wife's hospital room before the start of the morning rush and saw your post.

A full counter-print panel holster such as designed by the late R. J. Hedley should solve the problem you describe.

Good luck.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:29:04 AM »
Agreed that an anti-print panel will at least disguise any gun shape that is visible -- it will look like a large rectange, which would be a phone or a wallet.  One source for such a holster would be our forum sponsor -- Recluse Holsters -- www.recluse holsters.com.  Their holsters are quite diferent than most, but very effective.

Lightweight business slacks are the worst for pocket carry.   I would suggest, however, that most people are so clueless and unobservant that the printing is likely not as bad as you think. 

Alternatively, you coudl try a tuckable IWB or something like the Smart Carry.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MN Lefty

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »
I have both the Smart Carry and Recluce.  I use the Recluce 99 per cent of the time.  I use the Smart Carry with very light dress pants.  Both are great with my Rohrbaugh.

Offline ford999

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »
I have the Recluse and love it. You won't be dissapointed.

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 11:20:02 PM »
I have a pocket holster with the leather panel. It makes the whole package much larger in every dimension.
In the situation you describe, I put a folded sheet of notebook paper, napkin, or Kleenex in front of my regular holster for extra camouflage.
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
If you want a flexible, light, ambidextrous, sticky pocket holster, try the DeSantis Superfly.  It is basically a Nemesis with a velcro panel on the front strap, and a square pad that can be thus placed on either side to prevent printing, or removed for smaller pockets.  I have a bunch of nice leather pocket and belt holsters or the R9, but simply don't use them because the Superfly is so convenient, and much much lighter to carry.  It's also cheap!
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Marcion333

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:12:15 PM »
i bought this pocket holster about a month ago and it is perfect.  it is a called a SHOOT THRU LEATHER HOLSTER FOR ROHRBAUGH R-9.  it is similar to a desantis pocket shot. i found it on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHOOT-THRU-LEATHER-HOLSTER-FOR-ROHRBAUGH-R-9-/261431209507?pt=US_Holsters&var=&hash=item3cde83ae23

unlike the desantis pocketshot version, the shoot thru is made EXACTLY for a rohrbaugh R9 and it opens up with chicago screws. the desantis pocket shot is sewn together, does not fit a rohrbaugh exactly, and is too small; i know this because i bought one a year ago and never use it. 

this holster will solve your printing problem.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 07:28:21 PM »
If you want a flexible, light, ambidextrous, sticky pocket holster, try the DeSantis Superfly.  It is basically a Nemesis with a velcro panel on the front strap, and a square pad that can be thus placed on either side to prevent printing, or removed for smaller pockets.  I have a bunch of nice leather pocket and belt holsters or the R9, but simply don't use them because the Superfly is so convenient, and much much lighter to carry.  It's also cheap!

I agree with everything John says.  The Superfly is all I use for everything I carry.  I go to the Kahr P380 with dress slacks.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 09:30:02 AM »
I seem to remember that "wallet holsters" are illegal in some states.  Would the pocket shot holster be so similar as to cause some officious legal authority to take action?
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »
It is not some states, it is a federal restriction under the National Firearms Act.  A "wallet holster" that looks like a wallet and can be fired without removing the gun is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and must be separately registered and taxed under the act -- much like a suppressor.  It would be a federal felony to possess one without the proper paperwork. 

I think ATF has said it's not an AOW if the slide of the gun is exposed to make it clear that it is a gun and not a wallet...but obviously it is a grey area.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 02:12:41 PM by DDGator »
Duane (DDGator)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 10:36:55 AM »
Thanks
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Marcion333

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »
It is not some states, it is a federal restriction under the National Firearms Act.  A "wallet holster" that looks like a wallet and can be fired without removing the gun is considered an AOW (Any Other Weapon) and must be separately registered and taxed under the act -- much like a suppressor.  It would be a federal felony to possess one without the proper paperwork. 

I think ATF has said it's not an AOW if the slide of the gun is exposed to make it clear that it is a gun and not a wallet...but obviously it is a grey area.

wallet holsters are legal. read ATF document at http://www.gunnersecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/atf.jpg.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »

wallet holsters are legal. read ATF document at http://www.gunnersecurity.com/wp-content/uploads/atf.jpg.

As I stated in the other thread where you posted this same thing, you statement is not correct.  As this document says, it depends on several factors.  If the holster disguises the gun and the gun can be fired without being removed from the holster, it is an AOW under the NFA and illegal without proper registration and fees.  Be careful with general statements like this...
Duane (DDGator)

Offline Marcion333

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:37 AM »
Your statement is right that not all wallet holsters are legal.  Thank you for correcting my much-too-general comment.

What I should have said is that this ATF document states that a wallet holster like the pocket shot and shoot thru holster is legal because it "does not conceal the appearance of the pistol."  It is has the entire slide of the pistol exposed, and, although there is a hole permitting operation of the trigger, it merely encloses the grip and trigger guard of the pistol and extends in fron of the grip and below the slide.  Therefore, it is not subject to the provisions of 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 or 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53. 

it's nice to see, in ATF's own writing, that this type of wallet holster is are legal (i sure hope i'm interpreting this document correctly!). 

one less concealed carry item to worry about.