Author Topic: super lube on other guns  (Read 9243 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: super lube on other guns
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 12:01:51 AM »
Thanks, Chris.  I'm very excited about it.

You know, it is a great mountain of a gun.  Someone on another forum used that expression.   It seems like a giant to me, after handling the P239 and R9S so long.

My order is already in for the Summer Special 2 in black horsehide.  It typically takes 12-13 weeks now.

It really is big.  I hope it will carry IWB OK.  Otherwise, it will have to be a house gun.

I was going to ask you:  What do you think would be the typical increase in waist size for trousers to carry IWB something that big?  Maybe I'll wait and carefully measure it and get pants 2-4" larger.

Your Sig .45 looks very large, too.  I bet it is comfortable to shoot.  

Someday, let's talk about the best .45 Auto ammunition.  I ordered some Golden Saber, and some Federal Hydro-Shok.  Sorry, if bad spelling on that.

Also sorry about hijacking this thread.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 12:32:51 AM »
Bill - well only a temporary hijack ;)

I guess yes, it'll seem big!  2" is an average most folks allow for pants but hey - I carry large and heavy (so used to it from choice) but - also carry OWB.  I find IWB irritatingly uncomfortable and was never prepared to get pants just for that either!  In my 220 I choose GD's - 185's - many reckon they are better than H Shocks too for flash as well as on balnce IMO better feeders.  Mind you, the HK should eat about anything!

Just for ref (and sorry again folks for me and Bill drifting here, badly!) - this is my rig - wife took quick pics of it in situ.  ignore the old belt - it is replaced and they were old jeans too!, tho in fact even with slight sag all was A1.  You'll notice how tight in this sits, altho I am fairly broad up top and so outer garment always covers it well with no printing.  Your dress choice may of course preclude this.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 10:44:59 AM »
Yes, that good-looking Sig is mighty big.  Well, I never even considered OWB.  That would certainly make the task easier.

My worry is that the untucked shirt would suddenly jump up and reveal the giant.  I guess everybody worries about it, and it probably "never" happens.

Also, my Summer Special 2 order has been placed.  One writer called it the immortal Summer Special.  Every shootest should have at least one immortal holster.

Anyway, I'll check out Milt Sparks again.

I hope others will comment about carrying these large pistols concealed.

I'm beginning to think about using much less  grease on my R9S, and use more medium oil.  Since it will be rarely shot, I can't see it would make much difference.  Back on topic.  :D

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 11:20:44 AM »
Chris,

Thanks to your wise guidance, I chickened out about the IWB, and switched to the Milt Sparks 55BN, with a slight muzzle to the rear (FBI cant).

Without hesitation, he said that people with the USP full size choose the 55BN.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 03:22:56 PM »
Bill - (drift nearly over folks and again apologies!) - re the lifting shirt worry.  It  can be a problem, windy weather etc but - easy to fix.  Invent subtle ploys to prevent it and one of the easiest when carrying 3 to 3.30 - is tuck elbow in a bit against gun.

Other things - beware the shirt gape when bending/reaching - easy to control if aware - and pick up items by bending at knees.  Also a thumb hooked in pants pocket can be handy to control shirt opening - just dream up less than obvious every-day things that folks will never notice - but do NOT make obvious ''adjustment'' moves - those shout carry sometimes ! :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2006, 04:33:39 PM »
Excellent ideas.  This little discussion was most  productive.  Thanks again.

Apologies to all.

Bill

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2006, 05:15:34 PM »
I'm really glad about listening to Chris regarding a belt holster.

My Sig P239 9mm is not even felt when it goes in the 55BN holster.  It is vastly better than the IWB.

The only trade off is having to have the shirt untucked, and maybe slightly longer to prevent detection.

I haven't yet received the 55BN for the HK USP .45.  That may be a different story.

If anybody needs a holster fast, Lightning Arms Sports is terrific.  Mine came in two days.  Craig and Audrey get the job  done.

Bill

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 05:18:11 PM by Michigunner »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 01:45:32 AM »
Good work Bill - it's pretty easy really - as so often is the case and when we can anyways - ''dress round the gun'' :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site