Author Topic: Night vision scope  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Night vision scope
« on: August 28, 2006, 08:28:46 PM »
I'd like to find a, relatively, inexpensive one for my 10/22 -- trying to get the nutrias out of the creek before they kill any more shrubs/trees.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: Night vision scope
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 10:00:12 PM »
Aglifter,

I have some bad news.  It has been my experience with night vision that going with anything other than the Generation 3 is a waste of money.  Unfortunately, Gen 3 is still expensive.  With optics there is a saying, "Good optics are not cheap and Cheap optics are never good".  A decent night vision riflescope is still going to cost you over 2K.  I know that is not what you wanted to hear.
Others will have more information for you I hope.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 11:11:18 AM »
I too have been looking at night vision scopes. (coyote problem) Haven't seen any 3rd generation for less than 3k. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 01:16:13 PM »
Our Department received a free pair of Russian night vision binoculars. They are listed as "Gen II".

They are WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!

I know that US Gen III is over $3000.00, BUT, it's worth it compared to throwing your money away. A good choice is an ITT ANPVS-14 paired up with an Aimpoint M3. Total cost................$4,000.00

PursuitSS
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 01:16:53 PM by PursuitSS »
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline ROKTMAN

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 04:07:26 AM »
Another option might be going with a white light and a red filter.Bet it would work and not spook the Nutrias.

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 10:13:53 AM »
PursuitSS, Thanks for the heads up on generation 2 , I won't waste my money. I will look into some sort of light mounted on the rail .  I'm shooting a Bushmaster 223. Any suggestions would be helpful. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 10:24:26 AM »
PursuitSS, Thanks for the heads up on generation 2 , I won't waste my money. I will look into some sort of light mounted on the rail .  I'm shooting a Bushmaster 223. Any suggestions would be helpful. Dan

I have the Surefire M500 carbine handguard light I'd be willing to part with fairly reasonable.

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 07:35:30 PM »
PusuitSS, I have been doing my homework. Is that M500 the A, AB, or B model. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006, 07:52:34 PM »
PusuitSS, I have been doing my homework. Is that M500 the A, AB, or B model. Dan

To be honest, I have NO idea its been so long since I purchased it. It is the carbine length with the 250 lumens small diameter head. If you wish I can post pictures in a week (sorry, I'm flying to Dallas in the early am).

PursuitSS
NRA Endowment Member

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 07:29:58 PM »
Next week is good , have a safe trip. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER