Author Topic: Outside my Windows I - A Magical Morning  (Read 48170 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Outside my Windows - A Magical Morning
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2006, 08:05:00 PM »
Even after all these years - rainbows still impress and please me!!  

This was today, after a heavy rain had gone by.  Transient and short lived, as they usually are and I missed the very best of it.

Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2006, 08:10:48 PM »
Chris
Don't know if I have ever seen a rainbow in January - nice.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 10:06:56 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2006, 08:18:21 PM »
If you look closely, it's a double.  I've only seen one double rainbow in my life.  I remember it well.  It was in 1980, and I was driving on the Beltway (I-495) around Washington, D. C., at the time.

Great photograph, Chris!  Thanks for posting it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 07:55:23 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2006, 08:18:41 PM »
Surprised me too Dave!!  My wife called me as I was unaware and so shot out real quick.

Sort of thing we associate with those heavy summer squalls.

Ahh Richard - see you posted.  Yes a double it is tho I suspect when my dear wife first saw it was a very much stronger double.  Over the years I have seen several but more often that not, no camera immediately to hand!

The one I recall best was a total double - the ultimate.  A full 180º arch and atop that the lower intensity double.

Ain't nature wonderful, even if harsh at times.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 08:21:35 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline jsw4178

« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2006, 09:22:42 PM »
Chris, That is a beautiful picture, thanks for sharing one of God's awesome creations :)
Scott

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #230 on: January 30, 2006, 07:58:29 AM »
Chris:

Previous post corrected.  I must have seen Dave's intervening post and thought he had taken the photograph.  My apologies to you both.   :-[  

Congratulations on catching such a rare event on camera and thanks again for posting it.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #231 on: January 30, 2006, 09:13:01 AM »
Since this thread had at one time been focused on the Demon mountain poodle I thought I would share my two dopey dogs.  They are Icelandic Sheepdogs and are brothers.  They come in all different colorings as well as long and short hair.  When I was still living up north and would take the one on the right (Jasper) on the yearly back packing trip my buddy had everyone we met on the trail convinced that he was a "domesticated fox dog".  The one on the left is Jack, my wife named him for JFK jr.  Jasper is named for color and being a geologist I wanted a rock type name.  Enough of the background, here they are;

Sorry about the cords, that is my wannabe network.  I was too lazy to wire properly and too cheap to buy the wireless.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 11:00:06 AM by Rocnerd »

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #232 on: January 30, 2006, 10:04:22 AM »
Roc:

Beautiful dogs -- and extremely rare yet in the United States!  

http://www.icelanddogs.com/ISAA-5.html

Thanks for the photo.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2006, 11:10:35 AM »
Good link Richard, thanks.  I can attest to the following around part.  Man, turn around and trip over a dog is the rule in our house.  They are great though.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #234 on: January 30, 2006, 02:16:46 PM »
Roc - well I am not the biggest dog fan or expert but those are absolutely superb creatures.  Pretty close to what I would choose as my ideal.  Great. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excuse the tinkering but - played with the pic - bit of lift and color correction - and hey - what cords?  Can't see any!  ;D

« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 02:31:15 PM by R9SCarry »
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Calvin Cooledge

• Expert
« Reply #235 on: January 30, 2006, 02:49:34 PM »
If you look closely, it's a double.  I've only seen one double rainbow in my life.  I remember it well.  It was in 1980, and I was driving on the Beltway (I-495) around Washington, D. C., at the time.

I'm not one to brag or "one up" everyone, but when I was on vacation, the location of which I won't name but rhymes with Hawaii, we, (and by we, I mean my wife, our waitress and me,) witnessed a TRIPLE rainbow and their were many others around to confirm it, including Rob Schneider, Deuce Bigelow, Male Gigelow. He was Dating Groupies, Eating Breakfast, Makin Movies. The Robinator...;^)

But I digress...

I told the waitress that this could not be happening, but she pointed out the obvious by saying I'm wrong. I still gave here a great tip.

She said the second (middle) rainbow colors are in opposite order to the second (middle) one, and the third one is identical to the first (the left and right rainbows). I'm no scientist (especially NOT a rocket one), so I couldn't confirm or dispute what she said. Any folks out there that are brainier than me that can explain the exotic triple rainbow?

BTW- Dave, I think you have well surpassed the record of responses to a single post. Nice!!

Hayword N. Edgewise

"I'm spreading my loyalty around..." - Calvin Cooledge

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #236 on: January 30, 2006, 05:46:09 PM »
Interesting... through a conflaguration of circumstances I found myself driving Rob Schneider to the Orlando airport following the last SuperBowl in Tampa a few years ago.  I was just a "driver" and he didn't talk to me, but complained to his agent the whole trip about various celebs in his box and their behavior.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #237 on: January 30, 2006, 10:13:55 PM »
Roc - the two dogs are nice - wish I could get mine a buddy.

Chris - you are just too good at controlling photo/media technology - I am starting to think that you are retired from Interpol - or am I thinking of Richard.  Either that or at one time you took school pictures and spent a lot of time making blemishes dissappear.  Makes you wonder a lot about the possible altering of pictures you see in the media.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 10:22:12 PM by MountainMan »
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2006, 10:20:55 PM »
Dave - Interpol LOL ;D;D  Haha - nothing so exclusive.

More to the point is my love for images anyways - and these days compared with those when I did freelance stuff - when all was film and processing and printing took me ages - now I just manipulate and play!

Perhaps ''meddle'' would be the word sometimes - and certainly now, you sure cannot believe all you see for sure!

Funny tho you mention blemishes - in fact when I did very demanding stuff - almost always B/W - despite care with dust - most prints would have odd spots and so I had to use spotting medium (a sort of ink) to touch in by hand with the smallest brush.  Quite a length task compared with digital touching up.

Not much re schools but quite a few weddings.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2006, 10:48:10 PM »
Roc,

I sure like those dogs.  Nice pictures.

I have a Sentry safe just like yours.  They said not to put firearms in it, but I do anyway on rare occasions.