Author Topic: Owners Experience  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Owners Experience
« on: November 07, 2005, 08:25:12 PM »
Duane,

Would it be possible or desirable to create a table with rows and columns which each owner could fill with their experiences?

We would all understand where we stand, and what to expect.

Here is a crude example.

NAME....................ROUNDS......JAMS

Someone...................123............0              
Person 1....................800............2                      
Little Guy...................039............0            
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 08:30:11 PM by Michigunner »

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Owners Experience
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 08:50:35 PM »
I am not sure how such a thing could be done other than in a running thread...

However, I am not sure it is really a good idea.  Such a chart would necessarily be non-representative and not likely up to date anyway.  People aren't going to update their round count on a regular basis.  Furthermore, those with problems are most likely to post.  The internet already has a way of magnifying problems and this may make it seem even worse...

The appearance of a running thread with a chart gives the appareance of some scientific sampling / tracking that is misleading.  I don't personally think its a good idea.  No offense to you Michigunner!  ;D

I welcome others thoughts on this.  I am not here to sweep things under the rug as you all know, but I am trying to keep everything in perspective.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 09:13:20 PM »
Thanks, Duane.  I understand.

Upon further thought, I see that it would not be usable.

I appreciate the time and thought behind your response.

Bill

« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 09:14:48 PM by Michigunner »

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 10:07:02 PM »
Bill,
At first look your idea is a good one, but as Duane points out it is probably better suited for a controled scientific type study. Human nature being what it is on forums the tendency is that only the faults of the R-9 pistols would be posted by upset members.

Ed
« Last Edit: November 09, 2005, 10:07:49 PM by ed5380 »

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 12:51:09 AM »
Yes - superficially an interesting notion but not practical IMO - it would not be sufficiently ''real-time'' either.

As with BG's in society - we see news about them because they are newsworthy - same in a way with R9 - the small percentage of problems will be coming to the fore but easily then add artificial bias the overall picture.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Skyhook

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 10:14:56 AM »
Dunno, folks, seems like something of use to evaluate the firearm and its compatibility with ammo--IF the kind of ammo used was included.

For instance, if one or more here fired, say, 800 rnds of GD without a misfeed and then noted that another brand only went, say, five rnds and misfed.. that would tell us something.

Other than rnds fired- type/wt/mfg- we could also, perhaps, encourage those with misfeeds and jamming to relate their cleaning techniques and the lubes used.

Now, a concise listing in chart form or some other format would be beneficial to all, especially new buyers.

As it stands now, one has to post the very same questions some of the rest of us have already mulled over several times and/or wade through various misleading contributions about pick-ups, dogs, guitars, (I swear I'm going to include some 'drift' on airplanes one of these days), while trying to access the topics needed.

The re-assembly and lubrication threads (Stickys) go a long way to assist us all, but as Bill says, there's more info available through our wide experiences which would probably benefit all if that info was more readily accessible.

Sure there would be 'bad' news in the posts, but that would be far out-weighed by the good, don't you think?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  8)