Author Topic: Initial Cleaning Before or After  (Read 3638 times)

Offline bnightrider

Initial Cleaning Before or After
« on: August 07, 2009, 11:44:18 AM »
I apologize if this has been covered, but I searched and couldn't find it.  I have read that after the pup is fired at the factory, the brothers do another cleaning.  I finally have the chance to hit the range for the first time with the pup today.  Should I clean before I go?  I have with all my other weapons, but have heard some don't.  Just can't remember where I heard that.  Thanks.
"Solutions are not the answer." (RN)

Offline sslater

• Master
Re: Initial Cleaning Before or After
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 09:05:17 PM »
I haven't welcomed you aboard, bnightrider so "Welcome to the forum!"

IMHO, you can't go wrong in stripping, cleaning, and lubricating your new R9 before your first trip to the range.  That way, if you do have any issues, you have already eliminated the 'was it clean / was it lubed' questions from your troubleshooting list.

That said, the first couple of times you take down an R9, you'll probably have sore fingers and well-exercised cuss word muscles.
With four years of R9 experience, and a couple of home-made tools, I can break down and reassemble my pup in a few seconds.  

Make sure you read the threads and FAQs on field stripping and types of lubes to use.

Wishing you "Good shootin' " at your first range session,
Steve  

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 10:34:11 AM »
What Steve said. Even though your R9 is "NIB," you don't know how long it has been sitting around in some dealer's or  distributor's inventory or how many times someone may have dry fired it. At the very least, I would give it some touches of quality lubricant (I use Ballistol), particularly along the slide/frame interface, before firing it for the first time.

Good luck with your new masterpiece!

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline bnightrider

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 10:40:54 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen.  Didn't need much cleaning but lubed her up as per manual.  Waiting on the Miltec so just used gun oil for now.  Only had six rounds of 9 (Hornady Critical Defense) - waiting on shipment of the right stuff but wanted to try the pup.  No problems on the HCD at all even when my girlfriend fired off two rounds and probably limp wristed it a bit.  Will right a full range report after next week's date with the pup.  Thanks again.
"Solutions are not the answer." (RN)

Offline mefly2

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:10 AM »
Always good to clean and lube before - as well as after -firing ... but make sure that you have read the tips for reassembly - especially the recoil spring.