Author Topic: CITES Compliant "Farmingdale"  (Read 6381 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
CITES Compliant "Farmingdale"
« on: March 16, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »
My highly valued "Farmingdale" R9 No. 132 is about to reach its seventh anniversary of daily CCW service. In order to mark that occasion, I have been working for the past couple of years on a project to outfit it with some CITES Compliant accessories. With some extraordinary help from a few friends whom I shall not here name (you all know who you are), that project has now been completed.

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: CITES Compliant "Farmingdale"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »
Very nice, Richard and congrats on the "Farmingdale" no. 132's seventh anniversary.  It's to be commended and to you as well.  Continue to enjoy.  I do like those grips!  The other parts of the project, too.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Congratulation on 7 years of carry with your Farmingdale.

It is a nice looking PUP for sure. :D

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:02:36 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen.

Needless to say, those grips will not be used for any range work. For that, Black or Blue CFs, OD Aluminums, or VZ Micartas will be installed. In the meantime, whenever the old-ivory panels are on the pistol, they will be cushioned by rubber "mini  washers" under the screw heads -- just in case.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 12:27:35 PM »
 8) 8)
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:23:59 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen.

Needless to say, those grips will not be used for any range work. For that, Black or Blue CFs, OD Aluminums, or VZ Micartas will be installed. In the meantime, whenever the old-ivory panels are on the pistol, they will be cushioned by rubber "mini  washers" under the screw heads -- just in case.

It would probably take me 30 minute to change those grips using those mini wahers,  I am all thumbs with those things.

Wise move.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 05:20:27 AM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 12:51:21 AM »
 If there is any chance of me getting some similar grips...let me know and I'll contact you offline.
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 08:22:19 AM »
Toad,
   I think the first step is to locate some Pre-Ban Ivory that is large enough to have the grips made from like Richard did, he may be able to point you in the right direction for it.
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 08:31:03 AM »
If there is any chance of me getting some similar grips...let me know and I'll contact you offline.

AT:

I just got lucky. It is very difficult to find material which complies with the Convention. A friend of mine got a lead on a piece and steered me in the right direction. One option you might consider is fossilized ivory, which is more easily found on the auction market. The problem there is to find a piece large enough to produce the grips. Either way, it will be "pricey."

I wish you all success if you start on the project. As I noted in my first post, it took me two years to get it all together.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline AmmoToad

• Master
  • The Toad
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 08:51:20 AM »
Yankee/Richard, thanks for the info.  I would be happy to find high quality replicas as I’d keep them on the gun while carrying and shooting.   Really like the looks of them on Richard’s gun.  
American Warrior
NRA Life
Ammo Troop

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 02:10:38 PM »
AT:

If you are interested in Ivory Polymer, I know that Hogue offers grips in that material for Colt Government style pistols as well as for Ruger and Colt single-action revolvers.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/Scrimshaw.htm

You might want to get in touch with them to see if they offer IP grips for the R9s as well.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:28:06 AM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline K-Man

• Master
  • aka Someone Else
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 06:50:22 PM »
The grips really look exceptional, Richard.

For those who think they might want to put ivory grips on their R9 - finding the ivory is only half the issue.  The other half is finding someone to fashion the grips for you who actually knows how to work ivory.  Too many folks don't know what they're doing in that respect....
www.kdholsters.com

U.S. Navy (Retired)

May we always have the freedom to pursue our dreams.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 01:36:38 AM »
The grips really look exceptional, Richard.

For those who think they might want to put ivory grips on their R9 - finding the ivory is only half the issue.  The other half is finding someone to fashion the grips for you who actually knows how to work ivory.  Too many folks don't know what they're doing in that respect....

Its not like working with composites one little mistake can be costly. :o
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
Kevin and John are absolutely correct. It takes an artist who knows how to operate a CNC machine with a delicate touch. Also, complete assumption of the risk and a hold-harmless agreement by the owner of the old ivory will be required in case of any breakage of the material. Pre-ban and fossilized ivory may have embedded flaws or stress fractures which can manifest themselves during the CNC machining process.

Let me emphasize that I don't recommend this as a project for anyone. The mere use of the material is controversial. For me, however, as one who for his entire adult life has studied the career and been an admirer of the legendary General George S. Patton, I have long wanted a pair of old-ivory grips on my EDC weapon. For the last seven years, R9 No. 132 has been that EDC weapon. No matter what other handgun I may carry as a primary (Colt Government Model, Heckler & Koch P7, etc.), the R9 is always with me. I expect that to continue for whatever number of years I have left before shuffling off this mortal coil.

[After that, it is my firm intention to take the R9 with me to Valhalla.   8)]
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Robar233

• Master
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 08:52:04 PM »
Excellent picture, great pistol with very nice extras! Seven years of use and carry and she still looks brand new. Mine is only seven months old now. I hope it looks that could in six years!