Author Topic: Confused about draw style  (Read 7617 times)

Offline Clivus

Confused about draw style
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:30:15 PM »
Hi, new owner/member today.
I'm looking at getting a front and a back pocket holster from Meco. However, I'm confused about back pocket draw. The holsters are made to draw with your hand supinated I.e. Palm forward. It seems more natural to me to draw with my hand pronated I.e. Palm backward. Then you could push the anti-print flat panel with your thumb to draw the pistol. Also, the palm of your hand wouldn't have to go in between the flat panel and the gun.

I hope I'm explaining that well enough, but it seems like I should order a right handed rear pocket holster if I'm left handed. Any insight on why they are set up the way they are? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Confused about draw style
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 09:50:27 PM »

Welcome, Clivus and thanks for your thoughts. You explained your preference quite well. The only part that I see is missing is that the body is used as a resistance pressure point in a supinated draw. This works the same in the front pocket as far as using the body to press against but to each his own.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:09:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum Civus!

and-

what Tracker said.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 10:09:38 PM »
Clivus.  Welcome to the Forum and what tracker said.  I will add, I have a back pocket holster, but use it in the front pocket; just never did like having a gun in the back pocket and once again, what tracker said; to each his own.

I know this doesn't answer your question, however, Robert of Meco Holsters can give you the answer.  Again, welcome and enjoy the Forum.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Clivus

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 10:10:47 PM »
Ok as long as it's a preference and not "you're an idiot for doing it that way"  :D

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »
Not at all.

If you are more comfortable with positioning your hand that way, then, that is "your style".

Go for it.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 10:34:20 AM »
Clivus:

Welcome to the Forum.

If you prefer a pronated draw from the back pocket and are right handed, just order a "left-handed" back-pocket holster -- or vice versa if you are a "lefty." When it comes to carrying and drawing a handgun, each person has to determine what works for him or her and go with it. As for what the holster is called, "A rose by any other name . . . ", etc., etc.

Good luck!
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Clivus

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:39:59 PM »
Thanks guys. This is a great forum about a great little gun. After carrying around the past couple of days in a cheap blackhawk, I think I do need the traditional draw style (supinated) so I can lift my shirt tail or unbutton the pocket on my cargo shorts. I think I'm ready to order. Should I call or just order on the website?

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »
Clivus.  Either way.  Robert is great to talk to and could answer any questions you may have if you decide to call.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 09:15:59 AM »
Thanks guys. This is a great forum about a great little gun. After carrying around the past couple of days in a cheap blackhawk, I think I do need the traditional draw style (supinated) so I can lift my shirt tail or unbutton the pocket on my cargo shorts. I think I'm ready to order. Should I call or just order on the website?

Either a call or a website order would do -- or both. Call to establish the contact and discuss the holster you want. Then confirm and pay on line or by check with cover letter.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 01:03:37 PM »
Welcome and enjoy the ride and choice of holsters. I like front pocket holsters. Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline lws380

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 04:08:24 PM »
My only comment about a palm out draw is that there is a much better likelyhood that you will sweep your own body with the muzzle when drawn.  That is not a good idea IMO and goes against what my dad told me, "Never point a gun at something your don't want shot".  In a heated moment with adrenaline going trying to get it out fast, you don't want to be the one shot by your own gun!  A palm in draw is much safer.  I recommend against that type (palm out) of draw, for what ever that is worth.

As mentioned if you insist on a palm out draw a left handed holster will do the trick.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 04:45:42 PM »
Something to think about.

Swing wide.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 06:28:06 PM »
Something to think about.

Swing wide.

Those are "words of iron," to borrow some words of "Ten Bears" in The Outlaw Josey Wales. And only with a DAO having a substantial trigger pull -- never a single-action handgun. It would be quite embarassing to shoot oneself in the foot, or worse, in the ass.
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Relic

• Sharpshooter
  • Lifetime NRA, Lifetime VFW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »
I would like to add my 2 cents in agreement with those who cited safety concerns with a reversed-draw holster.

In a high stress situation, you have much to consider and having to remember not to sweep your legs and kidneys, while trying to assess a life-threatening situation, is a lot to ask.

Being a lefty, back in the early days of my life I considered using a righthanded holster and was told in no uncertain terms what an idiot I was for considering that.  I've heard it called the dead man's draw and less flatteringly (by my old military handgun instructor) the dumba$$ draw.

Many holster makers will tell you not to use a holster on the wrong side behind your hip, due to the probability of sweeping yourself with the muzzle when drawing.  The crossdraw from the front is a different issue, being more concerned with retention than sweeping yourself.   For your own safety, I would suggest you train to draw "palm forward" and try to become comfortable with that, before adopting what is accepted as a more dangerous configuration.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:37:11 PM by Relic »
Land of the free, because of the brave.