Author Topic: pocket holster question?  (Read 15837 times)

Offline jayson

• Sharpshooter
  • happy shooting!
pocket holster question?
« on: April 19, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »
I have decided to not only keep my elite but to use it as my everyday carry,  does anybody know of any pocket holster that would not harm the finish on my elite?  Any input is appreciated,  thanks for your time  :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:05:13 PM by jayson »
Jayson D

Offline Z

• Grand Master
Re: pocket holster question?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »
Jayson

I have owned many pocket holsters over the years some inexpensive and some exspensive.
All of them have left their mark on the gun.
I don't believe it is the holster making the mark but dirt and debris causing friction.
I currently have a Meco Holster and make certain I keep the holster and gun as clean as possible.
I use Renaunance wax on the holster inside and outside and usually wipe the gun down with a silicone gun cloth when it need it.
I hope this helps in your search for the perfect pocket holster! :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 09:06:00 PM by Z »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
Jayson.  Adam makes some good points on the R. Wax and wiping the R9 down; would like to add one thing, if I may; I have all the holsters for the R9 lined and also use the R. Wax along with keeping the gun clean as possible; have had no problems with finish wear.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline jayson

• Sharpshooter
  • happy shooting!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 07:18:25 AM »
Do you have them lined after you purchase them or do you buy them like that?  What are they lined with?
Jayson D

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:51:48 AM »
I know I am in the minority here, but I still use a DeSantis superfly nearly all the time.  I love the look of nice leather and have holsters from several of the top makers that are talked about here, but the DeSantis seems to work the best for me and is gentle on the pistol's finish.

The holster stays upright for me all day, the gun draws easily without having to hook the holster on my pocket to remove it, and for me it is very comfortable.  Easy on the finish also.  I use them for the R9. PM9, Solo, and now a Boberg.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:22:02 AM »
Do you have them lined after you purchase them or do you buy them like that?  What are they lined with?

Have the holsters from Meco and they are lined while being made with smooth finished leather; about $25 as an extra, but very much worth it.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 08:44:21 AM »
I know I am in the minority here, but I still use a DeSantis superfly nearly all the time.  I love the look of nice leather and have holsters from several of the top makers that are talked about here, but the DeSantis seems to work the best for me and is gentle on the pistol's finish.

The holster stays upright for me all day, the gun draws easily without having to hook the holster on my pocket to remove it, and for me it is very comfortable.  Easy on the finish also.  I use them for the R9. PM9, Solo, and now a Boberg.

I to used a Superfly for years. It is a good I inexpensive all around holster.

Offline Giraffes

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:50:59 AM »
I'm probably also in the minority for not using a leather pocket holster, but I've been using a Remora holster and love it. The interior lining seems to be easy on the finish but the best feature is how "sticky" the outer material is. It's billed as a "Clipless IWB holster" and it works surprisingly well for lighter pistols. I've even used it to carry my R9 with gym shorts. That being said, It works extremely well for pocket carry. I actually have a hard time getting it out of my pocket without turning them inside-out.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:06:17 PM »
Thanks Giraffes, I am going to order a Remora right now for my Boberg based on your endorsement.  I have been using the Superfly that was designed for the PM9.  It keeps the Boberg upright and covers the trigger but just is not quite right.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 09:46:08 AM »
Jayson,

I think everyone has given you a lot of good advice so far. If you opt for a leather holster I would pay the extra $10-$50 depending on the maker to get the interior lined with smooth leather. I had a great experience with Ryan Grizzle (http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/), he is affordable and doesnt have a super long wait. Good luck with what ever you decide to do and I am glad you decided to carry the Elite!

-Ryan

Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 10:17:41 AM »
I have decided to not only keep my elite but to use it as my everyday carry,  does anybody know of any pocket holster that would not harm the finish on my elite?  Any input is appreciated,  thanks for your time  :)

I've carried my R9 in a Hedley or Sparks holster since May 2004. Using Renaissance Wax on the pistol and inside the holsters, together with Ballistol and, more recently, Frog Lube,  has prevented any discernible wear of the frame's anodized finish. 

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline ecappler

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 11:42:09 PM »
Recluse is the best pocket holster available.  Front or rear pocket it's the best.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 12:10:22 AM »
Recluse is the best pocket holster available.  Front or rear pocket it's the best.

Good to hear an endorsement, especially since they are one of our sponsors.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline ecappler

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 12:13:46 AM »
Best pocket holster I've found is the Recluse.

Offline Recluse

• Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 12:27:49 AM »
Thanks, guys.   I've been keeping quiet on this one.