Author Topic: pocket holster question?  (Read 15817 times)

Offline Faawrenchbndr

• Expert
Re: pocket holster question?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
Ordered a horsehide Recluse for my R9 tonight.   8)

Offline Ghost Chili

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 10:16:27 PM »
I got a Recluse right after I got my R9 and it works great.  Among the best pocket holster I have used thus far. 

Offline Faawrenchbndr

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »
Good to know......rather excited about the Recluse.
Very good following with the Seecamp crowd.

Joe_from_NY

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 02:18:07 AM »
My favorite pocket holster maker is Jim Powell from Leather and Stuff http://www.leatherandstuff.net/leatherandstuff_005.htm in Texas. He has made them for my R9, as well as my Seecamp. I have several other styles from him for my Seecamp, beside the back pocket one. His stuff is top notch, and his craftsmanship is excellent. Note how the holster is just barely as large as the pistol itself. It is great in the rear pocket of my jeans all day, every day.

I wanted him to make me one for my new PM9 with the Crimson Trace laserguard but he doesnt have the blank. I am still looking for a nice rear pocket model for that gun.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 03:01:58 AM »
Nice rig Joe.

Glad to have you back at the campfire.  :)
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline smokemup

• NC Corvettes
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
I'm not a cheapskate, but I use cling wrap around the forward portion of the R9 as well as on my P238. Disclaimer...avoid wrapping up the trigger. Duh! LOL. Nary a scuff to be seen and the cling wrap stays in the holster when the gun is drawn. Then just rewrap and stick it back in. Perfect.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
I'm not a cheapskate, but I use cling wrap around the forward portion of the R9 as well as on my P238. Disclaimer...avoid wrapping up the trigger. Duh! LOL. Nary a scuff to be seen and the cling wrap stays in the holster when the gun is drawn. Then just rewrap and stick it back in. Perfect.

I'll pass.  No offense, that just screams Cluster F...  WTSTHF.

I mean, I just see MR Murphy jumping all over that at the worse possible time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 05:59:40 PM by Reinz »

Offline smokemup

• NC Corvettes
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »

I'll pass.  No offense, that just screams Cluster F...  WTSTHF.

No offense, but it sounds to me like you're a bit challenged in the following directions department. Just wrap the nose to keep it from scuffing. That's the part just forward of the trigger guard. Ask your partner "what's cling wrap?". And finally, don't use tape, but if you do, I'm pretty sure a bullet will pass right through it. Cluster F... Bwahahahaha. Ok, nap time for me, right?

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 08:05:45 PM »
Yes I do know what cling wrap is.  Do we need to discuss cooking skills now?  Afterall cling wrap should stay in the kitchen, however I have used it to size holsters.

If you are worried about scuffing an EDC, than perhaps it is nap time for you.   

Try some aluminum foil on your EDC knive blade as weill, it will keep the scratches off the pretty shiny blade and maybe you won't cut yur uttlle bitty finger.

Offline smokemup

• NC Corvettes
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 08:59:04 PM »
Yes I do know what cling wrap is.  Do we need to discuss cooking skills now?  Afterall cling wrap should stay in the kitchen, however I have used it to size holsters.

Try some aluminum foil on your EDC knive blade as weill, it will keep the scratches off the pretty shiny blade and maybe you won't cut yur uttlle bitty finger.

Careful Reinz, you are starting to crack me up. Or is it the cheap wine?  ;D You're right about the sizing holsters trick. I even use it (the institutional version) to wrap a classic show car chassis before it hits the paint booth to protect from overspray. Lot's of work but worth it. I'm just saying that a little cling wrap will keep your slide and garden salad fresh. I guess the alternative is a lined holster, but I have zero experience with those kind of luxury items. Perhaps Obama will offer some assistance?

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 11:40:06 PM »

Or is it the cheap wine? 

Hic...   ;D

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 07:15:14 PM »
Question from a "newbie". If I want to minimize/eliminate wear on my Stealth in a Galco IWB leather, what is the best method? I use FrogLube on the firearm. Do I place some of the lube on the inside the holster? I can't imagine that just using it on the firearm is enough. What about other leather treatments, like the ones you use on your car seats (lexol in your Porsche/Ferrari/Aston). Thanks. Doc ;)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 10:13:07 PM »
Frog Lube or Ballistol inside the holster; Renaissance Wax as a final treatment to the outside of both the R9 and the holster.

Results:

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"