Author Topic: First Time To The Range  (Read 12930 times)

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: First Time To The Range
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »
It seems that the OP, renrew, began this thread by praising his Tribute and Gold Dot ammo as a superb combination of two quality products working together as a system. One of the many good things about this forum is that most of us are on a quest for the best, whether it is the pup, ammo, holster, accessories, tools, lubricant, or just good information. In that regard there is no thread drift when we are all seeking the best and in a very collegial environment.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:34:09 PM by tracker »

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 09:52:59 PM »
You guys are great... ;), but seriously, for a firearm with the close tolerances of the R9, Frog Lube rocks. Once "seasoned", the Frog Lube works as the operating/firing temperature rises. I use it on all my firearms with great results. Just be sure to have a really good hair dryer and get the parts really hot before applying. Be sure all the surfaces are very clean. Simple Green works great. Doc  :)

Offline renrew

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »
Bought some Frog Lube today.  I appreciate the advice from you guys that have been around for awhile.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:14 PM »
Great advice on the heat treatment. On another similar product I preheated the oven to 100 degrees, pulled the grips and magazine on a Browning HP and placed the frame and slide into the oven for 20-30 minutes before applying the product. This should work very well with FrogLube, as well.   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:53:23 PM by tracker »

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 12:00:15 PM »
Hey renrew. Check out various youtube vids about application, such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlMikz8Nc8A ;)

Offline renrew

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »
Awesome Docboss thanks!  I would have not known about heating the gun first.  I just ordered the liquid and not the paste.

Looks like a great product.  I take it this is all you use with no oil on top?

Offline renrew

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »
From what I can see this product works best once the gun has been fired a bit.  Make one wonder about the first few rounds fired from the gun.

I am guessing the surface is still slippery prior to the gun getting hot from firing?

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2013, 01:58:03 PM »
I don't think firing the gun before Frog Lube makes any difference. The more you fire it, the harder it is to clean it prior to "seasoning". Just get it clean and do it. The firearm will not be slick at all! Once you have heated the gun parts (almost too hot to hold), one at a time, and applied the Frog Lube, let them sit for an hour to cool. Supposedly the heating opens up the pores, then they close as the metal cools. (I am not sure I "buy" that explaination). After an hour, take a good microfiber cloth and thorougly wipe off the parts. You will be surprised at how dry they are even before you wipe them down. Once reassembled, the gun will feel dry. I do not treat the grips with Frog Lube but everything else. A really good hair dryer works wonders at directing the heat to the internals of the frame. I do not apply any more Frog Lube to the firearm. Try this vid. This guy is better than the other one I suggested.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-depzYZC8w  ;)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2013, 02:52:49 PM »
That is an excellent video, well worth the 20 minutes required to watch it. Thank you for posting it to the Forum.

I have previously posted on my own "FrogLube epiphany." It was interesting to see that the Navy Captain in the video had also progressed, as I had done, from Ballistol to FrogLube. He mentioned the "unpleasant" odor of Ballistol. I had become unaware of Ballistol's odor, but my wife had not.  She is a lovely and tolerant little woman but, being the retired judge that she is, she will let you know what she thinks. As for FrogLube, she says she actually likes its odor.  ("Happy wife, happy life."   8)

To these remarks I would add only that after application of FrogLube, I apply a coating of Renaissance Wax to the outside of my firearms.  Whenever someone asks me why I use Renaissance Wax on my guns my reply is always something to the effect that, "I only use it on the ones I want to keep." (There is one caveat to my having brought Renaissance Wax into the home -- my wife is always "borrowing" it to use on her antique furniture.)
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline docboss

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »
Yes, it is a good vid. All R9 owners should view it. This guy has some interesting stuff about backround checks. Renaissance Wax is a great product. I hope it will prevent surface wear caused by my Galco holster. I really like the Stealth, but the finish seems a little thin. You folks are great. Love my Pup. Wearing it feels more natural than a cellphone. Doc  8)