Author Topic: The anatomy of digital pics!  (Read 3433 times)

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
The anatomy of digital pics!
« on: February 25, 2006, 02:12:24 AM »
Guys - as ever I still get some requests now and again for info on image tweaking - sizing, file sizes - various stuff.  As ever for those with limited photo editing gear I recommend the freebie IRFANVIEW

I have in past mentioned my sorta ''help site'' for the whole subject of images IMAGE MATTERS - something I put together originally to try and help folks on THR.

Well I have just added a page - in an attempt to further demystify the structure of digital images - in the hope that it might help separate the three aspects - physical (printed) size, web size (pixels on screen) and saved file size.

If interested take a look at The Anatomy of the Digital Image , which I hope might for a few explain more about it.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: The anatomy of digital pics!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 10:06:02 AM »
Chris,

That free photo editor is looking mighty nice.  Thanks for the great tip.

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 01:47:13 PM »
Bill - it is indeed very useful - tho it can't do all the neat stuff of a major app of course.

It will tho allow for some very handy tweaks, in particular just resizing and saving with adequate and useful compression.

What a lot of folks don't always realize too - is it has numerous other features which are excellent - amazing really for a frrebie.

If you download all the plugins it will act as a player for numerous media files - it also has a superb thmubnail facility - which allows you to via an explorer type interface, view thumbs of all pics in a folder - great for finding that elusive pic or two!  A double click then on a thumb and up comes the pic to view.

Matter of fact - I have this set up as a file association so that any pic I double click on - comes up in that for a quick viewing - the mouse scroll wheel also will allow for browsing thru a folder's contents.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 11:07:52 PM »
Chris,
Thanks for the info.. ;D

Brenden

NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 09:03:26 AM »
Very helpful, Chris.  Thanks for the links.  I've been using ArcSoft's PhotoImpressions and will "test drive" IRFANVIEW.  
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 08:12:07 PM »
Thanks Chris!
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline DTM_39

• Master
  • NRA LIFE MEMBER
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 07:55:24 PM »
Thanks Chris, Quite helpfull. I keep reading and I do believe it is sinking in. Slowly but surely. Dan
NRA LIFE MEMBER