Author Topic: FRUSTRATED  (Read 3957 times)

Offline jaycee

FRUSTRATED
« on: August 13, 2006, 03:08:48 PM »
After experiencing many problems with my r9s, and after sending my gun back twice to rohrbaugh for repairs, I challenged rohrbaugh to send me back a handgun that was handpicked,dependable and reliable(regardless of cost)my   wish came through, I received a return firearm that functioned   flawlessly .Today, my hapiness ended.I went to the firing range, shot 6 rounds winchester silver tips, returned home, started to clean my gun and surprise,surprise on both sides of the slide there is a two inch crack to the slide. has anyone else experience this problem?monday for the third time the pup goes back to rohrbaugh. talk about frustration. :'( :'(

Offline riffraff

• Master
Re: FRUSTRATED
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 06:30:35 PM »
jaycee,

The slide cracking problem seems tp have been traced to a "bad" batch of stainless steel stock.  I know that this is aggrevating but hang in there.  When all the glitches are worked out you wil have the best conceiled carry gun on the planet.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Member
FCSA Life Member

Offline jaycee

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 07:13:10 PM »
hey rifraff, thanks for your comments.  i own two khar pm9' and one seecamp 380, all guns functions flawlessly no problems, whatsoever. i love my three guns. trying to adopt the r9s in the family but after so many problems i will have to say this r9s is the black sheep in the family :D :D

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 11:35:25 PM »
Oh no - a crack problem again. :(

I had hoped that was history, assuming the few slides from the batch of billets with an alloying or heat treatment prob were gone.

Always possible I guess one has crept thru - has to be.  That should be dealt with I hope PDQ.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 06:40:15 PM »
Just wondering if the Company knew of this problem and knew the approximate batch, if cross referencing the serial numbers for that time period would be an easy way to let folks know as to this problem.  You know, just to let us know to keep an eye out for possible cracks.

I have had several feeding problems with mine however I believed that it was due to being new.......I hope.

I have four different rounds (recommended rounds) with a 1 in 18 failure rate.  
We Are The Pilgrims, Master;We Shall Go Always A Little Further

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 11:05:12 PM »
Phantom - unfortunately as I seem to remember Eric R saying - the slides were produced without any specific ref' to billet batch - and so no real way to reliably target any guns by SN issue.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 02:34:04 AM »
R9SCarry.

Well I tried.
The reason I asked was after reading "assuming the few slides from the batch of billets with an alloying or heat treatment prob were gone.", it was my impression that "the batch" implied that it was a know factor in the problem or at the very least, it would have indicated a rough time frame.

It wasn't meant as an insult to the company, it was out of concern for the folks that carry the little beast for life threatening incidents.  

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 10:23:46 PM »
I knew what you meant - and I would not be surprised if the Bros R have since that episode found a way of batch ID'ing so as to follow better.

Probably their source of material was considered so good they did not even think of a problem like that.  I guess it can happen so as take one by surprise.

Their production methods have been I think based on producing each component on a steady output basis and maybe too in batches - and so when gun construction begins then it is a case of take part A from this bin - part B from that bin - etc - and assemble and fine tune.

This is why some earlier SN frames have shown up before.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline S.F._Phantom

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 08:03:52 PM »
Jaycee,

Not sure how many rounds you have put through your R9, but today I broke 100.  Prior to this, I had several malfunctions.  Today, I put approximately 75 rounds through mine with no malfunctions.  I shot GD 124 Gr, Win 115 Gr and some old Uzi ammo I had that was just plain hardball.  Not sure what happened, but after my first 100 rounds, something got lapped in and made the difference.  

Hope you have the same good luck with yours.