Author Topic: Good to be Here  (Read 19232 times)

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
Re: Good to be Here
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2005, 10:22:38 PM »
Tom, I'm tempted to go buy a motorcycle right now!

We just had successful cataract surgery.  That doesn't sound like something a motorcycle rider should be getting.   :)

Bill

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2005, 10:28:01 PM »
[size=13]Chris, did you ever go over and see Frank Lloyd Wright's house Fallingwater?[/size]

Unfortunately Bill have not made it there yet - but it is on the (long) list of ''to do''.  Great thing about the long list is - I know that even when I drop it'll be unfulfilled - and nothing could be more boring than having somehow ''done everything''! :)

Your abortive Harley visit was a shame - just recent or a while ago?  Oh and cataract surgery eh - successful I am assuming (hoping) - so now, well - a bike is a must! ;) :P
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2005, 10:37:06 PM »
Bill
It is never too late to start riding.  I have been to Fallingwater several times - nice visit and history.  The first time was when I was in my Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged" stage at 18.

Chris and Tom
I bet you two where at Woodstock - I think I see a hint of hippie.   Nice bikes you guys have gone through.  Chris - nice cavern pic - bet it was nice and cool after a hot ride. Got my adopted son (white standard poodle) from a breeder in Hollidaysburgh seven years ago.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2005, 10:48:57 PM »
The Harley trip must have been maybe 1990.

It was really a "secret" destination trip to Fallingwater for my wife, and she was completely surprised, after going through Ohio, West Virginia, and then Pennsylvania.

At that time, we realized that York might be within range, but a telephone call told that they were down for that period.

It would be impossible to see those wonderful machines, and not up and buy one right away.

In this part of the woods, some short years ago, you had to enter a drawing where the winner got the privilege of buying a bike.  They were not available, otherwise.

Things have got better now.

You are fortunate to have a motorcycle.

Dave, I've got to be careful and not get started.  :D

You caught me off guard by saying Ayn Rand "Atlas Shrugged".
I'll have to check out that novel.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2005, 10:59:39 PM »
Bill - I sold my bike after surviving a touchy operation about 8 years ago - figured why do myself in on a bike.  Sorry I did - I rode for many safe years - it makes you feel alive when you can spell the environment while you ride.  At the same time you get a false sense of security on a big bike with windscreens and all the goodies.  Many bike accidents are from other drivers so you always have be alert.

Bill.  Forget the bike and buy that red corvette.
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2005, 11:19:45 PM »
Chris, The 2 BSAs were 1961 Firebird scramblers 650 ccs. Both bikes were restored and had upswept pipes. However, when one rides older restored english bikes in the Texas heat, they just over heat and stop. Also had 2 Sterling sub guns, one suppressed and a FN FAL. Lots of fun, the brits know what guns work well.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus

Offline Michigunner

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2005, 11:21:50 PM »
Good point, Dave!

My greatest pleasures would come early in the morning, maybe far out in the country, when zero cars were around.

It's a wonderful feeling to ride, but quite dangerous, I think.

You really have no chance if somebody does not see you.  It's bad enough just driving in a car.

I'm feeling pretty dumb about not recognizing the novel you mentioned.  A trip to the library may be required.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 09:57:15 AM by Michigunner »

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2005, 12:06:16 AM »
My second Harley and 5th bike:

And with a little practical gear, windshield and backrest.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2005, 12:18:28 AM »
Shucks Tom - Stirlings eh!  Well - I had back in early 90's a very nice Stirling carbine semi (in UK) - 16" barrel but otherwise looked same - have an old pic somewhere but can't find right now.  Shot 9" groups at 100 yds with that and homeload ammo!

Due to a certain Michael Ryan going crazy in Hungerford early 90's - semi's got banned and despite having just had the gun back from service by Stirling at Dagenham, to fit a new bolt etc - it went!!  Was de-activated and I finished up with just a wall-hanger!! :-[

I did manage to sell it before I came over in 2000 but have one mag left.  Any likelehood of finding a home for that?  (34 rounder IIRC, with the nice roller follower).
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2005, 12:48:28 AM »
Logical - nice Harley - can tell that you take pride in your ride.

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2005, 12:50:29 AM »
Logical
PS:  Nice grass also

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2005, 07:49:32 AM »
Tom,
  Forget the Corvette, get a Porsche!
Logical- really nice grass! Mountainman knows great grass when he see's it. I just water the weeds!
The one word in my house that my wife won't tolerate is Duccatti! Rohrbaugh, Guardian, Seecamp, Keltec, Sig, Weatherby etc. are all OK, But Ducatti and she comes unglued. I just count my blessings and shut up! Sometimes you learn to take " Yes " for an answer!

doubletapMike
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 07:55:23 AM by doubletapMike »
doubletapMike

Offline logical

• Expert
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2005, 01:23:36 PM »

That is my weed behind the bike too.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2005, 01:29:45 PM »
''Weed'' - hmmm ... leaf shape seems to lack that ''pointy'' look! ;D ;D :P
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline theirishguard

• Grand Master
  • In Memoriam: 1941 to 2013
    • irishguardfirearmsltd.com
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2005, 01:30:22 PM »
Mike, Its yes, dear!!   logical, the great Road King!!!!  Chris, I might be able to unload it for you. Also had a Bren.  Tom
Tom Watson, DVC , Quis Separabit ,  Who dares wins, Utrinque Paratus