Author Topic: Introducing myself - Eric C. Rohrbaugh  (Read 32888 times)

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
Introducing myself - Eric C. Rohrbaugh
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:09:37 AM »
Good Day Forum Members,

While it has been a decisive decision to not join the forum through the years, now, after just over one year since we sold our business to Remington, I feel I am not in breach of our contract to interact here and, hopefully, answer some of your questions about the R9 Series Pistols in 9mm and .380 caliber. One thing I will not do is get into behind the scenes discussions which may cause harm to anyone, myself included. I will hold true to our five year none-compete clause which we signed at the time of the sale. With just less than four years remaining, time will tell what my brother Karl and I will do after that time elapses. I can tell you this. . . . . You never know what a Rohrbaugh comes up with.

With that said, I am proud of what Duane Daiker and so many of you folks here have done for yourselves to help each other both during and after our run as “The World’s Smallest and Lightest 9mm Handgun” and The NRA Shooting Illustrated magazine's "Handgun of the Year" for 2005. I trust I can help add some insight along the way in reference to the history of this venture for The Rohrbaugh Family.

I look forward to our interaction and hold conversation here on The Rohrbaugh Forum. Please note however, that while I have finally made this decision to join, I am quite busy with our two grandsons, a two year old and a newborn, which requires much family time. I have also returned to my first love ~ The arts and music. I play musical instruments and spend a good part of my day rehearsing, composing, etc., so I will chime in here often enough to answer your questions and participate with threads of interest to me, but that is my current passion of interest.

Well, as they say on many forums:   "See you 'round the boards."   

Sincere Respectful Regards,

Eric C. Rohrbaugh

Former Co-Founder
Rohrbaugh Firearms Corp.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline CaptBW

• Master
Re: Introducing myself - Eric C. Rohrbaugh
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 07:23:35 AM »
Welcome aboard. Happy to have you join us.
ACTA NON VERBA

Offline dddonkey

• Expert
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 07:35:52 AM »
Too cool, welcome and thank you for joining! I love my stealth that I got from Tom W. and it will stay as my edc. I look forward to seeing what you have to say and any questions that may come up.

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 07:46:33 AM »
Welcome! My partner and I sold our business back in 1993, also had to sign covenants not to compete, and as a result of the sale had 250 very angry employees. They all did not understand why we did it. They hated us for what we did. The industry we were in peaked in 1993, and after that point continued a steep decline in revenues to the point where in 2000, the business would have been bankrupt. Timing is everything. As Danny DeVito said in Other People's Money, " When you're trying to get an increased share of a decreasing market...it's too late!"  That was our problem. Whatever your reasons were for selling, I'm sure your timing and reasons were sound. We all look forward to when your compete clauses expire and the R45 is unveiled...wishful thinking? Again, welcome aboard.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:49:37 AM »
Eric, it will be great to have you "officially" a forum member while you enjoy your grandchildren and your music.  My Covert is and has been since purchased my daily carry.  I can only thank you for the heart and soul that the Rohrbaugh's so obviously put into this incredible little handgun.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:45:47 AM »
Shweet!

Though a newbie to the R9 game I love the product and look forward to your posts.

Thanks for joining Eric.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:51:10 AM »
Eric,

Very nice to have you on the Forum! Cant wait to hear more details about the early guns.

Ryan
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 10:18:08 AM »
Thank you all here so far today. I am humbled by the emails, phone calls and yes, even letters I have received through the years. As many of you remember, as an owner of one of our firearms, we always considered you family. . . . . no joke about that. That is how Karl and I and even our mother thought about our endeavor and our products. I have to dig it up, but I have a photograph of the matriarch assembling some easy to do items, such as the hammer/strut assemblies somewhere in a computer. Once I find that, I may post it here. They were truly The Greatest Generation. Our father would have been so proud to have seen this company with his name on it. He was a WWII guy. He did many things to include training on the .45 caliber pistols and the Thompson sub-machine guns. . . . . but that, as they say, is another story. I believe as time goes on, I may discuss some family history here as it really brings into the fold how Karl and I grew up, our instilled values and just being a good person comes to be the representation of what it is to be a Rohrbaugh. Karl and I were always tinkering with "stuff".

More dialogue to come . . . . . . I have just begun to express my feelings and visions here. . . . and I will only do so because I understand there may be those who have a sincere interest. Otherwise, I do not intend to bloviate. 

"Speak" with you all later on.

Enjoy your day and please be safe out there.

Regards,

Eric R.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 10:30:29 AM »
Thank you all here so far today. I am humbled by the emails, phone calls and yes, even letters I have received through the years. As many of you remember, as an owner of one of our firearms, we always considered you family. . . . . no joke about that. That is how Karl and I and even our mother thought about our endeavor and our products. I have to dig it up, but I have a photograph of the matriarch assembling some easy to do items, such as the hammer/strut assemblies somewhere in a computer. Once I find that, I may post it here. They were truly The Greatest Generation. Our father would have been so proud to have seen this company with his name on it. He was a WWII guy. He did many things to include training on the .45 caliber pistols and the Thompson sub-machine guns. . . . . but that, as they say, is another story. I believe as time goes on, I may discuss some family history here as it really brings into the fold how Karl and I grew up, our instilled values and just being a good person comes to be the representation of what it is to be a Rohrbaugh. Karl and I were always tinkering with "stuff".

More dialogue to come . . . . . . I have just begun to express my feelings and visions here. . . . and I will only do so because I understand there may be those who have a sincere interest. Otherwise, I do not intend to bloviate. 

"Speak" with you all later on.

Enjoy your day and please be safe out there.

Regards,

Eric R.

Eric - Thanks again for joining! It is going to be great having you around here.

Is it too early to ask to see a pic of your gun? ;D
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 12:19:48 PM »
Sure thing Ryan!  Here she is in all of her early glory. I built my #2 this way back then and never touched it. It is all original ~ inside and out!  I don't shoot it any more, just show it at this point. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:31:20 PM by ECR »

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 12:51:57 PM »
Eric - THAT is a beautiful gun!

Interesting that you also went sightless.

Ryan
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »

Hmmm.  I did not know Eric was going to do this...  Very nice.    8)

Eric is a fascinating guy, and has been a good friend for a long time.  I know that you all will appreciate his stories and his insights.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »
Yeah, I know Duane. . . . . I got up this morning . . . . thought about it. . . . and made the decision to join in.  Thanks for having me around!

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »
Eric - THAT is a beautiful gun!

Interesting that you also went sightless.

Ryan

Our original design had no sights. . . .What do you need them for!? The gun was designed as a last ditch self-protection firearm. You're not using sights! . . . . the bad guy is in your face or within a few feet! . . . . and, frankly, that is the real deal. We put sights on the R9 due largely to a fellow named Robert "Bob" Jensen, A.K.A. "Blackhawk". If not for him, what you see here as serial number 2 would have been it. . . . period. I'll disclose some stories about what went on behind the scenes as time goes on. I was going to write a book, but, what the hell, I'd rather just share it here amongst friends!

ecr

Offline Covert23

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2015, 02:10:17 PM »
Congrats on your new endevours Sir!  The past few months I was debating on wether or not to sell my first Rohrbaugh but ended up buying a 2nd instead:).  What changed my mind?  I ended up in the hospital last month to have a brain tumour removed (all is good now), and I actually started to miss the little guy.  Found my 2nd one a week after I returned home from the hospital.   Thank you for a wonderful product and enjoy those grandchildren!!