Author Topic: Sterling Silver Grips  (Read 4272 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Sterling Silver Grips
« on: March 26, 2005, 04:21:47 PM »
Wayne recently sent me a PM inquiring about my long-standing project of trying to have a pair of sterling silver grips made for my R9s.  As I replied to Wayne, so far I have had no success.  My jeweler friend has now made about 15 separate castings; however, with two grip screws on each panel of the Rohrbaugh, the tolerances are so small that he has not yet  been able to produce a suitable pair of grips.  He has now obtained a new type of molding material which the manufacturer claims has practically no shrinkage.  If this new material does not work, we shall probably abandon the project.  I'm getting tired of removing and reinstalling the grips of my R9s, and my friend is getting tired of casting them.  (It may be, given the minimal tolerances of the Rohrbaugh's design, that its grips can be produced only by CNC machining and that they cannot be reproduced by the ancient lost-wax process.)

I continue to believe that sterling silver grips would be a striking accessory on a Rohrbaugh.  I have such a pair which my jeweler friend made for my venerable (No. 64) NAA Guardian .380.  Here is a photograph of the Guardian to illustrate what we have been attempting to accomplish:

« Last Edit: March 26, 2005, 08:47:54 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Jim

• Expert
Re: Sterling Silver Grips
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 01:17:45 AM »
Thanks Richard--S, those are some great looking grips and I'm sure there would be quite a market for them..  I sure would be interested if your friend is able to perfect the process..  Thanks for the update,  Jim
Glock 23, previous R9S owner sold due to health problems.  Just enjoy the folks on this forum!!

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 10:29:45 PM »
Great picture Richard, thanks for posting it!

In a previous post, it was indicated that the grips for the R9 were outsourced.  Is there any chance that they could help?  Maybe the  Rohrbaugh factory could assist?

I'd hate to hear that those beauties were not to be.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 04:44:34 PM »
Those sure look very attractive - not my thing I'll admit - but then I am just soooo boring!! ::)   The tolerance thing re screw holes does not surprise me one bit - the holes either align - or they don't!!

Only way I could approach that problem would be to cast good fitting panels and then make a jig from an original CF grip set - so as to drill and countersink exactly to spec'.  Make the holes a totally retrospective operation.

Wayne - I would doubt very much Bros-R could help at all on this.  One piece of news I gleaned chatting with Karl - was that CF has gone thru the roof re price!  From some $400 or so per sheet originally, it is now about $1400 - rough figures as I forget the exact ones.  HUGE increase.

The story is - Boeing have bought up CF - as they are using it for airframes and so now it seems determine pricing!!  The company is looking very hard at alternative materials - CF is all but costing itself out of the equation now.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 08:08:13 PM »
Chris:

That retrospective countersinking is an excellent idea!  Neither my jeweler friend nor I had thought of it.  Thank you for the suggestion.  It gives new life to a rapidly-failing and admittedly self-indulgent project.  

As for the self-indulgence, I can't help it.  Even back in my Army and agency days, I was often criticized for customizing my "gear."  Along the way, I've lost some great "gear," but I take comfort in knowing that "it was mine for a little while."

And as for your claim to be "boring" . . . considering that  beautiful motorcycle and that extraordinary collection of firearms which you own, I must remember to check my wallet if I ever sit down to play poker at your table.

Thanks again, and all the best.

RS

« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 08:18:42 PM by Richard_S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 08:31:08 PM »
Haha - poker?  No problem Richard - my card playing skills are near zero - always have been, so you'd be safe.  I think it might be me in danger!

Tell ya what - changer ''poker'' to ''pokey'' - as in making holes in paper - a la shooting at the range - much more fun.  That I'd happily share with you any day. :)
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Wayne

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 10:24:03 PM »
Wow, that's a pretty outrageous jump, - 350%! :o

Did Karl indicate if they are at the stage where they are considering alternative materials for the grip, or is this covered by the recent price increase?

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2005, 10:30:02 PM »
As I see it Wayne - alternatives are very much in the picture.  That said, of course - any other material must perforce give the required characteristics needed for machining etc.  I doubt very much it would be just ''any ol' " material.

Even the metal raw materials costs too seem to have hiked right up - it's crazy.

Time will tell.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 02:15:15 AM »
One note about switching from CF to metal -- I don't know how tight the tolerances actually are, but silver will move considerably more w. temperature changes that CF -- again, the thicker, the less movement, and it may not matter in a normal device -- sorry, lab rat in me coming out.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.