Author Topic: Firing Pin Maintenance  (Read 6129 times)

Offline DWMR9S

Firing Pin Maintenance
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:20:50 PM »
I take it that is is not possible for the end user to remove and clean the firing pin.  The retainer seems to be a force fit into the slide.  I just wondered if this is correct?

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Firing Pin Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »

Welcome to the Forum. I have never removed the firing pin for cleaning and am quite certain it is not recommended. From a review of previous posts it seems that the firing pin retainer was easily moved on earlier models but as you say it is not on more recent R9s. There have been a few cases of the firing pin retainer being out of spec and causing functional problems. In those cases the factory repaired the problem retainer.

Offline HLGJr

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »
I purchased a new RM380 and in the manual are instructions for cleaning the firing pin assembly. I can find no mention of cleaning it in my R9s manual. I have had my R9s for over 10 years and never removed or cleaned the firing pin. I wonder why it is necessary for the RM380. Maybe Eric can comment on this.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:07:39 PM »
Remington may feel the need to show owners how to clean their firing pin for some reason. We never felt it necessary, so no instructions included with an R9. The issue with some of our loose firing pins is that when we were assembling them, they had to be tapped in slightly, however, some were very easily dropped in. In our test firing of those firearms, there did not seem to be an issue with them, although, some did decide to turn slightly in the slide and cause malfunctions (jamming). We took care of those R9s straight away when they came back to our shop for the issue. There were slightly more than a handful of them eventually that came back, and every one was remedied by using a thicker firing pin retainer from a different batch of parts. Of course, because of the internet, it seemed like every R9 was an issue with firing pin retainers. . . . a statement that is quite untrue. . . . . but, as everyone knows: "I read it on the Internet, so it must be true."   lol
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:10:25 PM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline HLGJr

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 03:43:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Eric.

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 08:52:11 AM »
My pleasure Mr. G.
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.