Author Topic: Covert Carrier  (Read 9029 times)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
Re: Covert Carrier
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 09:19:03 AM »
And that's OK.  Believe me!    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline sm8770

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 08:40:34 PM »
Can any of you help with what I am sure has been discussed before?

That is, the cost/size/reliability issue?

There seems to be a (presumably) good, nearly as small firearm coming out about 3/20/11--the Kahr CM9.  The cost is projected to be less than half of the R9, and is based on the proven PM9.

I can clearly see where pride of ownership would be with the R9, but the cost is very high. Any thoughts or guidance would be very helpful.

Also, any R9's in the Milwaukee area that I might be able to see/shoot?

Offline dano

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 09:52:22 PM »
SM;

Here is a link to a review on the CM9:  http://www.gunblast.com/Kahr-CM9.htm

I have not been able to find a weight on the CM9, but if it is anything like the PM9, I found it to be heavy.

I will tell you that I did a lot of research for the ultimate 9mm and chose the Rohrbaugh R9s. I personally made a good decision. I wish the same for you. Good luck in your quest!
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline sm8770

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:50 PM »
Dano,

Thanks for your input. I have been admiring the R9 for yrs and would already have one if not for all of the other expenses in my life.

I think I am trying to convince myself to consider 'second best' as I think a recent posting discussed.

For argument's sake, I believe the following is accurate:

R9:     5.2in x 3.7in x 0.812in x 15.1 oz (with empty mag)
Kahr    5.3in x 4.0in x 0.9in x 15.9 oz (with empty mag)

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 10:37:14 PM »
The Kahr is a fine gun but much harder to pocket carry from my experience. I had a PM9 and still have a PM40, they are almost identical in size but just don't fit in my pocket like the pup.
  For the 3-4 hundred dollar difference I'd go for the R9, but thats just me.
  Good luck with your choice.

John
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline dano

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 10:49:09 PM »
I did actually go back and read the link that I sent you. The weight is listed at "16.6 ounces with an empty magazine".

On a side note, I have carried the Glock 36 for the past seven years. I like the gun, but it is just too big and heavy for my use. This is the main reason that I went looking for a smaller pistol. I  have found that if I am looking for a polymer pistol I choose the Glock. If Glock made a single stack 9mm I would have one of those. Since, it appears that Glock will never make one, I have been waiting for seven year you know. I decided that I just couldn't stand to carry the thing any longer. Don't get me wrong, I have several pistols to choose from, but they are all too heavy. I do  think that Glock makes good pistols for the money, they are just not for me. I bought the Rohrbaugh site unseen. This is to say that I had never held one or seen one in  person. My only experience was from reviews, pictures and this forum. I am glad that I purchased it. If you think that you want one, find one and hold it. You won't want to turn loose of it. Plus they are very accurate and very well made.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 09:18:20 AM »
sm.  Go for the R9; just my opinion.............and a bunch of others!     :)  
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline sm8770

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
Again, a big thanks for all the input.

I think I'll start saving up :)

SM

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »
I have had both the R9 and the PM9.  My PM9 weighs 1.7 oz. more than the R9.  The CM9 will be another .7 oz on top of that.  The slide contour on the R9 makes it easier to carry besides the extra weight.  I found the extra weight of the PM9 not to be a real factor. IMO.  The CM9 only comes with one magazine, and does not have the Walther polygonal rifled barrel.

The other differences are that the PM9 is much easier to shoot, shoot fast, and shoot accurately.  It also has "real sights", a slide catch, and conventional mag catch which are all features I prefer.

That said, I will probably have another R9 soon , as:

"I like cool guns"
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:46:48 PM by MRC »

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 10:57:32 AM »
MRC.  Then, why are you here!    ;D

Wait a minute, MRC, I remember, you do like "cool guns"!

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1298590757;start=18#18
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:11:13 PM by kjtrains »

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 12:40:06 PM »
I am here because I am in the market for another R9 and this is a more "mature" forum than most I drop in on.  A lot of them seem to be Hijacked by some  20-something kid who lives in his mother's basement and has a Highpoint hid in his underwear drawer because he can't afford ammunition but he can write gun reviews.

Sm8770 seems somewhat inexperienced and needs to look at all the factors before he jumps in for $1100+ and all the accessories that go with it.  One trouble is that very few stores in my area carry the PM9 or P380 and nobody has a Rohrbaugh, so you are buying blind.

Also, I think we all like "cool guns"  Kj.  When I buy another R9 I will give you all a review.

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 05:46:35 PM »
Great, MRC.  Look forward toward you getting your R9 and the range report.  

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 10:48:16 PM »
I'll second that. :D  ;D
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline ehb86

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 11:34:32 PM »
Just thought I'd add my input to sm8770's second question, the cost/size/reliability issue.

Like many on the forum I have a number of handguns to choose from, HK's, S&W, Kahr, etc. in various calibers and configurations. Since I bought my first R9, the only time I carry anything else is when I'm in the woods and wearing clothes that make concealment not an issue. Then I like a .45, or .44 mag. depending on the situation/location.

Once in awhile I will carry my trusty 340 series .357 revolver, but rarely anymore. I've had a PM9 for a long time, it's a great little gun, but even though the dimensional differences are very slight, the R9 is much easier to carry I feel, and it is super accurate and easy to shoot in the type of situation that you would realistically need to use it, ie a self defense situation at relatively close range.

Mine has been completely reliable and I actually shoot it quite a bit at the range because it's so fun to shoot. I would save up for a few extra months, or whatever it takes and get a nice used R9, you won't be sorry, you can't beat them for a concealed carry 9mm.

One more thing, for concealed carry wearing a suit, an appendix carry holster will work quite well.