Author Topic: Bulk Ammo purchases  (Read 3809 times)

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
Bulk Ammo purchases
« on: April 05, 2011, 08:36:45 AM »
It always surprises me when I talk with people about ammo.  It seems that most people are content to buy their rounds in the 20 rd boxes that most stores and manufacturers continue to push on the public.    Pistol ammo used to come in 50rd boxes and anything less was a mere exception.   Now it seems that only law enforcement and military get larger quantities.

Being a retired LEO,  I have been used to dealing with LE suppliers and I know that many will deal with the public and often shipping charges are very reasonable.  In a lot of cases the cost of 50 rd boxes of premium ammo is close to what many are paying for 20rd boxes at their local store.  While I am a believer in supporting local businesses where I can, I am not a believer in wasting my money.    In most cases one will get the best price by buying in half case lots of 500 or more rounds at a time.   If the Rohrbaugh is your only handgun that may be too much, depending on how much you shoot but if you own other weapons in the caliber then it's just the ticket.  Keep in mind that Federal, Remington, Speer and Winchester have their suppliers grouped as LE or Commercial and many shops that are regular commercial can't even buy the 50 rd box LE variety ammo.  However be careful when ordering because a lot of LE ammo, especially in Federal comes standard, +P and +P+, so get the right stuff.  Because Rohrbaugh specifically says not to shoot anything hotter than standard.   Four LE suppliers I have bought from and continue to patronize are...

SGAammo.com  in Oklahoma and and exceptionally large
                     selection of various brands, especially Federal
                     and Speer.   Speed of delivery and email
                     is second to no one.  

Ammo to Go     in Texas and while their selection is not quite
                     as good in some things as SGA, their price is
                     often as good and they have some odd things
                     that a lot of LE suppliers don't carry like full
                     power Federal shotgun ammo which I like as
                     opposed to the low recoil stuff that many
                     departments are ordering.   Very fast shipping
                     and they are reliable.

Streichers        A little more expensive and currently pretty
                     heavy into backorders or high power stuff but
                     for non +P like a Rohrbaugh requires may have
                     it in stock and practice is almost always in
                     stock.   They have an annoying habit of adding
                     the hazmat fee per box in checkout.

Cheaper Than Dirt    They get ammo in 50 rd boxes on
                     occasion and often are the only place where
                     one can find the Remington Brass jacket
                     bonded Golden Sabre.   And I like that round
                     the best in my 40 calibers.  

There is absolutely no reason to settle for 20rd boxes at high prices unless time is critical and you need it "right now."  Also keep in mind that most "short barrel" ammo sold by Speer doesn't come in LE selections except 38 Spec.   It may be available somewhere but I haven't found it.   I did find .38 Spec once and bought a lot of it.    Almost all "short barrel" ammo is +P however, including the 9mm so it wouldn't probably be wise to consider it for a Rohrbaugh.   In S&W 5 shot revolvers I've thought "short barrel" the most accurate round I've ever seen.  
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:40:24 AM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Bulk Ammo purchases
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 09:44:30 AM »
Good advice.  Thanks for bringing that up.

Not for the R-9 or for self-defense loads, but I also buy commercially reloaded ammo locally for my game guns and fun guns.  You have to find a trust worthy source, and I wouldn't bet my life on it, but quality commercial reloads are fairly economical -- especially if you trade in brass.

My local guy has sold me 10,000+ rounds in various calibers and I can only recall 3 or 4 failures to feel that may have been ammo related.
Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:59:39 PM »
Good advice.  Thanks for bringing that up.

Not for the R-9 or for self-defense loads, but I also buy commercially reloaded ammo locally for my game guns and fun guns.  You have to find a trust worthy source, and I wouldn't bet my life on it, but quality commercial reloads are fairly economical -- especially if you trade in brass.

My local guy has sold me 10,000+ rounds in various calibers and I can only recall 3 or 4 failures to feel that may have been ammo related.

I have been a reloader since I went to Trinidad State Junior College and studied gunsmithing in 67-68.   I have trusted some of my own reloads as carry ammo at times and would again if I had to.    At one time when my organization issued a Rem 90 HP .38 Spec, way back when,  I pulled the bullets and loaded them as hot as possible.   Then we came out of the dark ages and it was no longer necessary.

When I was the chief Firearms Instructor at the State Academy we were using commercial reloads.  Finally due to problems with the commercial reloads and also the congestion caused by breathing the ammo residue in the air on our indoor range we switched over to Speer Blazer lead free for practice and went to Federal Hydra Shok for duty.   Even Blazer has it's problems but that is good in the training enviornment to find out how good your immediate action drill training really is as there are no alibi's on the street.  

I wouldn't buy commercial reloads from anyone for any reason for my own use.  I have the equipment and the know how to do it myself and when necessary I do.    I'm not fond of lead ammo except in .45acp's and certain revolvers..  I did once upon a time use it in competition in a .38 Super.    But anymore I practice less often and when I do, I want the exact same ammo in my pistol that I am carrying in my concealed weapon.   I practice with it and qualify with it.  I have to qualify for my HR218 national carry permit once per year with both wheelgun and semi.   When I do, I shoot up the ammo that I have been carrying first, just as I do in practice.  That way I'm always using reasonably fresh stuff.
Just one way to think about it,  but not necessarily THE ONLY way.  There are a lot of ways to do things and it comes down to what is best for each individual.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:02:04 PM by flintsghost »

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:08:07 PM »

Shooting out your loaded carry ammo at the range has been recommended here before and thanks for reiiterating it.

Offline yankee2500

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:33:54 AM »
Here is a place I have purchased ammo from.

http://www.ombexpress.com/default.aspx?
"THE KING OF BATTLE"

"Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh"

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:42:19 AM »
Here is a place I have purchased ammo from.

http://www.ombexpress.com/default.aspx?

I have done business with them before and they are a good store to deal with.  However,  I haven't bought ammo from them because they only handle Winchester ammo and restrict to full duty LE personnel some of the better Winchester rounds which is OK and as a retired LEO, I certainly understand.  I use a small amount of Winchester +P in 9mm nato FMJ version, for my 9mm caliber change kit for my SIG 239 40cal.  But I prefer Speer Gold Dot and Federal Hydrashock in my other 9mm's including the Rohrbaugh.   It always seems a shame to me that everything I use can't be purchased from the same dealers.  When going Speer and Federal, I usually use SGA but for Federal shotgun I have to go to Ammo to Go.  And when I need the odd 40 Caliber Remington Golden Sabre 165 grain bonded which is duty type for my SIG 239 then I have to watch for Cheaper Than Dirt to have it as they have been the only one I could count on getting Remington from with any regularity.

A few years ago Winchester changed their "white box" promotional ammo from Winchester USA, made in the USA to offshore production mainly in the old Czech republic.  They may have changed back by now but I was unhappy after ordering a 1000rd case of Winchester USA and receiving ammo made offshore.   The company I bought from hadn't even realized the difference.   When they did, after my call, they refunded my money and told me to keep the ammo.  I donated to a club for range use.   The only offshore ammo I've ever used was some 7.62x39 Wolf in an AK and it was OK and not a problem and some 5.56 PMC several years ago when they were traveling around selling it for $125/1000 in their promotional semi.   It was surprisingly good ammo and a heck of a lot cheaper than anything else I've used including my own reloads.   I can't reload it for that price if my time means anything.   Now, sadly, those days are gone and I wish I had a semi load of it.