Author Topic: What do you use to soak parts in?  (Read 23804 times)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
Re: What do you use to soak parts in?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2011, 08:49:19 AM »
I wipe it off with a rag then apply some Otis oil using a clean patch, I also run a Bore snake with a little otis oil on it through the barrel.

Chief
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Offline Z

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »
Thanks for the info. :)

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 09:38:11 AM »
I thought he would.  The Chief does good!    :)
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
I wipe it off with a rag then apply some Otis oil using a clean patch, I also run a Bore snake with a little otis oil on it through the barrel.

Chief

Just out of curiosity, have you ever asked yourself why (other than from habit) you are putting a light coat of oil on the inside of the barrel?    In the case of the military weapons you have mentioned like M16's etc all the way up to the M2 50 Cal, they are all hard chrome lined or stellite lined.   In the case of the Rohrbaugh it is stainless steel.     I suspect this is how you, like I ,were trained, especially in the military.   I'm pretty sure this is a hold over that the military has taught since before the days of chrome lined and stellite lined barrels and is a hold over from corrosive ammunition.   In US ammunition the manufacture of military ammunition with corrosive priming compounds ended sometime in the mid 50's.  The last commercial ammo that I personally know of that was loaded with corrosive priming in this country was some lots of 300 H&H that Olin loaded for the Wimbleton Cup around 1959.

The old cliche about "can't hurt, might help," doesn't apply here because in some cases it does.   Long range shooters from Marine Scout Snipers to heavy competitive long range shooters have to have a bone dry barrel or else their zero will change after they fire 2 to 5 shots and the barrel is now bone dry and fouled.   Hence the term "fouling shot".   When I learned that during Police Rifle Instructor and Long Range Rifle Instructor programs, which were and are still taught by former members of the Marine MTU from Quantico, I quit doing it on all weapons period.    If you like doing it then I'm all for you doing what winds your watch.   All I say is, think about it for a minute.  

I was taught to do the exact same thing by my father who was retired Army and in the military during my time in the 60's.
The only time I do it now is during periods of long term storage for weapons that do not have chrome lined or stainless barrels.   In my M1A's for example the one with a GI barrel by Springfield has chrome lining.   My National Match doesn't have chrome lining and I would oil it for storage but if I'm going to shoot it, no.   My sniper rifles I never oil because I don't know when I might need them.   I also store all my long  guns muzzle down in my safe so that no oils accumulate in the stock area of those that have wooden stocks.   That's why the old surplus military rifles stocks are all turning black around the metal is due to oil soaking and standing them in rifle racks butt down.   Everywhere they are black the wood is soft and pulpy which is a deterent to accuracy.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:16:32 PM by flintsghost »
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 07:41:50 PM »
Very good points Flinghost!
So many guys just don't get it, but you nailed it!

Very true of jackedt bullets.

However, for those that shoot lead cast bullets in their 45 autos, wonder nines or any other gun, it is a good idea to coat the bore  and I will explain.

Most folks think that bullet lube is on the cast lead bullet to lube "that" particular bullet down the bore.

But that is not the case.

The lube is there to be left behind to lube the NEXT bullet coming after it.
This is what prevents leading, assuming you are shooting the properly sized bullet.  NO it is not all about hardness.  That is what one particular bullet company has marketed you into thinking.

So - after you are done shooting and you clean your bore, now there is no lube there to prevent leading for that first round you fire on your next outing.
Here is where a well oiled patch or a grease patch is a good idea.  And of course one or two fouling shoots as well when you go to the range.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:42:31 PM by Reinz »
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline flintsghost

• Expert
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 07:50:32 PM »
Very good points Flinghost!
So many guys just don't get it, but you nailed it!

Very true of jackedt bullets.

However, for those that shoot lead cast bullets in their 45 autos, wonder nines or any other gun, it is a good idea to coat the bore  and I will explain.

Most folks think that bullet lube is on the cast lead bullet to lube "that" particular bullet down the bore.

But that is not the case.

The lube is there to be left behind to lube the NEXT bullet coming after it.
This is what prevents leading, assuming you are shooting the properly sized bullet.  NO it is not all about hardness.  That is what one particular bullet company has marketed you into thinking.

So - after you are done shooting and you clean your bore, now there is no lube there to prevent leading for that first round you fire on your next outing.
Here is where a well oiled patch or a grease patch is a good idea.  And of course one or two fouling shoots as well when you go to the range.

I would agree with that entirely.   I hadn't considered it since I do not shoot plain lead very much anymore.  I do occasionally shoot it in a .45 but when the supply of H&G 68's is gone so will the lead be.    I do shoot lead in my .41 mag but it is gas checked and I get very little leading.   Also it gets stored for long periods since my S&W 58 is only for back packing and it's been a while since I did that.   I normally keep full house 210 jsp's in it for backpacking.  They will handle both two and four legged predators in the rockies.
Clips go in womens hair, magazines go into firearms

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 07:53:58 PM »
Love those 41's!

they are a might too girly for KJ though  ;D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 08:06:11 PM »
Never had a .41.    ;D
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.  Abraham Lincoln

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2011, 08:20:10 PM »
case in point :D

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2011, 08:23:10 PM »
Don't want one!    ;D   Another case in point!    :D

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »
Great minds.....

Offline kjtrains

• Grand Master
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2011, 08:26:08 PM »
There ya go!     ;)

Offline Chief-USN

• Grand Master
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »
 I was first taught to lightly oil the inside of the Barrel of a weapon (In fact most of the weapon) by my Dad at a very early age, Then when I entered the Navy it was also pushed hard, the Majority of the weapons I was dealing with were Heavy Barreled M-2's (50 Cal) and M-60's with a handful of Thumpers (M-79 Grenade Launchers) M-16's everyone had those, and some .45's and shotguns.  It is a habit I still carry over. I shoot a Lead/copper mix of bullets. If I shoot lead I always finish up with some FMJ ammo to kind of clean the bore out. As I am not attempting any 1000 yard shots (Except with the Rohrbaugh :) )I am of the "Can't hurt, Might Help crowd". Just don't like the idea of a Dry Weapon I guess.   ;D  You know the old saying about "Old habits die hard" I know guys that do not clean their weapons after each use, but I am also stuck in the mode of Unfinished business when I do not clean them. Maybe I am just a little obsessed, it just reassures me to break them down, clean, inspect, lubricate, and reassemble. (Also gives me something to do while everyone leaves me alone (Golden Retriever and wife need lots of attention)    ;D

Chief
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 07:56:16 AM by Chief-USN »
Allen
Retired Navy (1969-1992)
Viet Nam Vet
Desert Storm Vet
Lifetime NRA Member

Veteran " Freedom isn't free, I Paid for it"

Louisezoe

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2013, 02:52:49 AM »

SPAMMER!  Banned.  Bye bye.