Author Topic: Softpoints?  (Read 10604 times)

Offline Aglifter

• Grand Master
  • Thanks and Gig 'em
Softpoints?
« on: October 23, 2005, 09:07:59 PM »
I used some 357 mag. soft points when target shooting.  Any thoughts on using them for self-defense purposes?  I noticed they seemed to expand and retain their weight well, at least when they hit the soft dirt behind my target.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: Softpoints?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 01:12:01 AM »
Brad - I think they are almost as viable as true HP's.  One thing HP's suffer is IMO ''plugging up'' - meaning the potential for the ''cookie-cutter'' effect with thick clothing.

I think the SP's could well do even better, once they are thru cloth - then being probably still able to deform.

I have used SP's with 44 mag and been quite inpressed with deformation.  Arguably tho - no actual hydraulic expansion is likely - just pure upset.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline Brenden

• Grand Master
  • Farmie!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 08:25:36 PM »
I have always thought that the "better medicine" for winter in my parts is a solid projectile..

We tend to bulk up on the clothing in the winter and I know that HPs tend to slow in "feathers and such".. ;)

I still would not want to be the target of either of these types-no matter what I was wearing.. :o

Brenden
NRA Life Patron Member
GOA
Molon Labe

Offline Rocnerd

• Master
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 09:39:28 AM »
Has anyone tried the Federal EFMJ?  They look like a full metal jacketed bullet but have a soft rubber core in the tip and scored? or cuts? in the bullet from inside out to promote expansion.  From what I have read they have reliable expansion and could be something to look at if considering soft points.

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 05:06:05 PM »
I like the deign idea on those - marginal similarity to Powrball principle.  I have yet to get any and do any testing but sometime later on must try and evaluate.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline EdMan

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 11:43:15 PM »
Rocnerd,
Yes I’ve tried the Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacketed) ammo in .45ACP, .40S&W and 9mm. It tends to expand on hard targets which may cause under penetration. Even in wet phone books it expands pretty quickly, therefore it doesn’t penetrate as well as the hollow points I tested it with, like Speer GDHP or Federal HydraShok. The .40s and .45s will expand to about .60 caliber, so if you want quick extreme expansion these rounds my be for you. Or if your area doesn’t allow hollow points then this may be a good choice. I think I would alternate it with better penetrating rounds though.  

Ed

Offline Garish

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 04:02:29 AM »
I am looking for suggestions for my R9S which arrives tomorrow.  I know about Speer Gold Dots, Magsafe, and Federal Hydra-Shok.  How about ammo from Hornady, CorBon, and Double Tap?  Anyone try these or are they too hot though not marked +P or similar?

Offline Erich

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 11:26:37 AM »
Lots of ammo suggestions on the Rohrbaugh pistols board. Run a search for them. Karl Rohrbaugh personally recommended Win STHPs to me, but a lot of other folks use other things.

I was under the impression that DT and Cor-Bon 9mms ran in the +P range, and that such were not to be used in the Rohrbaughs. I would suggest that only a fool would try to run overpowered ammo through his almost-$1k pistol - caution would seem to be the watchword of the day.  ;)

Offline Garish

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 11:57:46 AM »
That is exactly why I am asking people who have used this pistol for some time.  I was unsure about the nature of these two, CorBon and DT.  I appreciate your guidance.  I do not know how to run a search.  I tried last night but could not get the info I wanted.  I must have run the search incorrectly.  Thanks again, Gary...

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 03:37:10 PM »
Gary - I doubt I have said welcome yet :)

Main thing with a search is choice of keyword or words.

In fact, if you browsae theu the index page on the R9 sub forum - I daresay you'll turn up some ammo info but yeah - avoid any rounds that are hot - tho they should in fact have +P on the case headstamp.

I personally favor the Gold Dots but main thing is that an individual's gun runs good with their choice.

I did some testing on various brands a ways back - go peek at my FAQ site (link in my sig) - and you'll find some links to test data - which included some basic appraisal of expansion.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Garish

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2005, 03:58:01 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I did find your info but that was about all.  Groups  seemed quite a bit to the left but these pistols will not be used for target practice but for "up close and personal" shooting.  I guess any non +P loading with a good bullet (penetrates and expands) is good for this pistol.  Thanks again and for the welcome as well.  Gary...

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2005, 05:32:46 PM »
Gotta add something here - and maybe I should add same to FAQ comments - when my son shot this gun for first time a week ago - he shot way more to center than I usually do - so my low left is I think a function of me - plus I have since thought - also maybe due to shooting from a sandbag rested.

If I shoot standing freestyle I shoot more centrally.  I think this can vary person to person and many find it goes very close to or on POA.
Chris - R9S
R9 FAQ Site

Offline Garish

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 09:50:06 PM »
Thanks for letting me know that.  I picked up my R9S and it is beautiful!  What a piece of work!  I am glad some gun makers still take pride in quality craftsmanship.  I have only seen this quality of work on pistols by Freedom Arms.  The trigger pull is even excellent.  It looks and feels like a $1K pistol despite the size.  I purchased about $160 in various 9mm ammunitions so I NEED to get to the range.  I will test them all for function andhopefull I can take some pictures to share.  Then I will have to know how to upload pictures.  I did not get a chance to look for the tape as I spent too much time at the gun shop, if that is possible.  I will bet back with the results of my tests, hopefully next week.  Gary...

Offline MountainMan

• Grand Master
  • MountainMan Dave
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2005, 10:25:00 PM »
Nice going Gary - let us know how it goes.  I have only gotten Winchester Silver Tips and Gold Dots.
Welcome!
Dave
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away..."

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2005, 10:38:40 PM »
Go, Garish Gary!