Author Topic: WTB: Farmie  (Read 12457 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
WTB: Farmie
« on: February 23, 2015, 11:08:53 PM »
hahaha. Ok I have been bitten. Quit laughing Richard. You too Tracker. Ok. Laugh all ya want.

Seeing what it would take to purchase a Farmy.

Please PM me if you have one for sale.

Thanks fellas.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:26:28 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline wildmanwill

• Master
Re: WTB: farmie
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 11:18:41 PM »
hahaha. Ok I have been bitten. Quit laughing Richard. You too Tracker. Ok. Laugh all ha want.

Seeing what it would take to purchase a Farmy.

Please PM me if you have one for sale.

Thanks fellas.

I think you meant "farmie"

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: WTB: Farmie
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 11:24:52 PM »
I stand corrected. Thanks WMW.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:54:35 AM »
Josh,

Finding a Farmie should not be too difficult depending on what exactly you are after. Below are some of the specific attributes I look for when trying to find a collectable gun. I would decide exactly what you want and try to find that specific gun. For me the hunt is a big part of the fun.

1. Farmingdale, NY on slide. Plenty of these guns exist and you will see the farmingdale slides on guns up into the R600 range frames.

2. Blue OEM CF grips. The earlier farmingdales shipped with the blue cf grips. You already have a set of these so you have some latitude if find a gun with the black or after market grips you could just add these.

3. "R9s" on the slide if the gun has sights. All of the first 48 no R prefix SN guns with sights have the R9s designation. There are a few R prefix guns that also have the R9s designation and there is no real rhyme or reason to what serial number is on the frame. I would shoot for trying to find this on whatever gun you buy as it is a cool story.

4. No R prefix serial number. Only the first 48 guns plus some custom SN guns have this feature. These guns also have a unique frame color "early gray" which has a bronze like tint to it. They also have a very thin slide that was actually thinner than designed and was thickend up for the R prefix production guns.

5. Silver frame. These are the rarest of the bunch. I think there were only 12 or so silver frame farmingdales and only 2 of those lack the R prefix SN. If you find an early silver frame I would recommend buying it.

Hope this helps and have fun.

Ryan
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:31:21 AM by BlueC2 »
Currently looking for Elite Premium RP 1 of 16. Please PM 
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 04:59:09 PM »
Josh,

Finding a Farmie should not be too difficult depending on what exactly you are after. Below are some of the specific attributes I look for when trying to find a collectable gun. I would decide exactly what you want and try to find that specific gun. For me the hunt is a big part of the fun.

1. Farmingdale, NY on slide. Plenty of these guns exist and you will see the farmingdale slides on guns up into the R600 range frames.

2. Blue OEM CF grips. The earlier farmingdales shipped with the blue cf grips. You already have a set of these so you have some latitude if find a gun with the black or after market grips you could just add these.

3. "R9s" on the slide if the gun has sights. All of the first 48 no R prefix SN guns with sights have the R9s designation. There are a few R prefix guns that also have the R9s designation and there is no real rhyme or reason to what serial number is on the frame. I would shoot for trying to find this on whatever gun you buy as it is a cool story.

4. No R prefix serial number. Only the first 48 guns plus some custom SN guns have this feature. These guns also have a unique frame color "early gray" which has a bronze like tint to it. They also have a very thin slide that was actually thinner than designed and was thickend up for the R prefix production guns.

5. Silver frame. These are the rarest of the bunch. I think there were only 12 or so silver frame farmingdales and only 2 of those lack the R prefix SN. If you find an early silver frame I would recommend buying it.

Hope this helps and have fun.

Ryan

That helps a ton. I really appreciate the assistance! Thanks Ryan.

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 05:35:33 PM »
Some Farmingdales were numbered into the mid 700s s/n; that was the number on the frame but they could have easily been made in Deer Park with a carry over Farmingdale slide.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 05:38:55 PM »
Some Farmingdales were numbered into the mid 700s s/n; that was the number on the frame but they could have easily been made in Deer Park with a carry over Farmingdale slide.

I see, but they would be for all intents and purposes a Farmingdale Tracker?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 02:45:14 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Online tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 05:48:13 PM »

Yes, for all intents and purposes it would still be a Farmingdale because there would be no other way to tell unless one knew the exact manufacturing date. It wouldn't make any difference anyway. If it is labeled Farmingdale, take it.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 06:40:20 PM »
Thanks Tracker.

John Stuart Mill

Offline ECR

• Grand Master
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »
I have a trail on two pre-prefix consecutive numbered R9 Pistols which were purchased at the time by a close friend as a gesture to help start us off and as an investment for them. I will be going over to their home soon to look at, take some photographs and overall inspect these two firearms and as I see them, it will certainly come back to my mind the history of the build. Being I made a good number of personal friend's pistols early on, this is good information to have as collectibles. I will post some photographs of these hopefully by next week. Josh asked me if I knew of any Farmies, so I must say he has first pick of either one or both to be fair. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:58:47 AM by ECR »
Makers of the NRA Shooting Illustrated: "Handgun of the Year for 2005" and receiver of an NRA Golden Bullseye Award.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 09:20:15 PM »
Josh sounds like you may have just hit the mother load. Congrats!
NRA LIFE MEMBER.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 10:52:09 PM »
Wow! Sounds fantastic. I will look forward to hearing what you find out Eric. Thanks a lot sir!

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 10:53:31 PM »
Josh sounds like you may have just hit the mother load. Congrats!

Thanks a lot Ryan.

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 07:01:59 AM »
Josh

You are kinda remind me of the old dog who sits outside the butcher shop wining until they finally throw him a bone.

Only kidding, I hope it works out for you.

Offline BlueC2

• Grand Master
  • Forum Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 07:23:04 AM »

Just kidding. Josh is a great guy and I am sure will give these pups a good home!
NRA LIFE MEMBER.