Author Topic: " Castle Doctrine "  (Read 2506 times)

Offline mismatch

• Sharpshooter
  • " A armed society is a polite society"
" Castle Doctrine "
« on: June 17, 2005, 01:13:53 PM »
Congratulations to all you " Floridians '' !!

I just received my NRA American Rifleman magazine and the prime article is the passing of the " Castle Doctrine" by the Florida legislature.

What a great bill to have passed in your state!!  I just hope that my state and all the states that are truly concerned about the protection and safety of their citizens pass the same bill!!

This bill protects the citizen that is trying to protect his/her life and/ or the well being of their love ones with out fear of prosecution by the criminals or their relatives that you had to protected yourself from.

What a " Wonderful " law to have passed, all state law makers should have the " COURAGE " to pass such a law!

Maybe this example will carry over into other states!! >:(
mismatch

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Re: " Castle Doctrine "
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 04:57:58 PM »
[size=13]Maybe this example will carry over into other states!! >:([/size]
That smilie threw me a bit!!

IMO it is a very sensible law and it will not I am sure be abused either..... despite predictions to the contrary from ''them''!  As responsible carriers I doubt there is one of us who will ever go looking for trouble but, when (heaven forbid) trouble finds us - we need options, without having to risk taking a bullet whilst we ponder whether we are ''sufficiently'' legal, as we defend ourselves.

I too hope other states will see the light - tho in some cases I'll not hold my breath.  I also want to see laws improved - like in OK IIRC - where you cannot be sued by a proven felon or his family after the event.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 09:47:03 PM »
Chris,
  Amen to that! Probably won't happen in my state or any bordering mine, but it's something to hope for. We should not have to delegate the safety of our loved ones and our homes to others just so we will not be found guilty of excessive force in their and our protection. It is a sad commentary on these times when the victim may be prosecuted for protecting themselves and those who look to them for protection. I don't believe this is what the founding fathers originally had in mind.

Mike
doubletapMike

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 10:04:56 PM »
Thing is Mike - the BOR has been ''chip-chip-chip eroded'' over time - and add to that this quite absurdly litigious society we now have - and this is where we are at now.  Always wondering.

I'm certainly never thinking of zero culpability in a defence shooting - folks have to be answerable of course but - once established that the good guy made a good shoot - then it should all be done and dusted.  No civil law suits, no fiscal suicide.

I seriously wonder just how lethal might be the delay in an extreme situation, whilst we try to quickly ponder - ''will this put my a$$ on the line for ever''??  I sure do not want to ''lose everything'' even if I did manage to save my own (or loved ones) hide - I'd want to pick up pieces and get on - probably anyways having to handle the psycho-trauma of having killed.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline doubletapMike

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 11:26:49 PM »
Chris,
    Thank you for such a well thought out and intelligent , articulate response to an issue that is so very complicated on so many levels. It is so easy to reduce it to such an overly simplistic emotional issue. But the truth of the matter and the aftermath of the actions that may be required to preserve our lives, or the lives and safety of our loved ones, is guaranteed to last a lifetime and the questions "What if..?" we will ask ourselves over and over.
Many LEO's involved in "Good" shootings go through much counseling to try to resolve the psychological issue's generated by the taking of a human life. Many find it so difficult that they are unable to function and leave their profession.
Those members of this forum who exercise their right to Carry a concealed weapon do so with a profound sense of the awesome responsibilities and wariness that makes them great citizens and role models. They aren't cowboys, or show offs. Just the opposite. The are mature responsible men and women who take this privilege and all of the responsibilities that go with it very seriously. They set a fine example for us all.

Mike
doubletapMike