Author Topic: "Dumb & Dumber" and the Need for Self-Reliance in Personal Defense  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
Check out this scenario that happened in a nearby county two days ago -- and then recite for me again that argument made by the anti-gun crowd about how law-abiding citizens can rely solely on the police and do not need to own firearms for self-protection.

"Dumb & Dumber" were not wearing any face coverings and their photographs from the bank's security cameras would "make their mommas proud." They are still at large, but their days of fresh air and sunshine are numbered.

_____

Bank Robbers Sought: Tennessee State Bank robbed by two men Wednesday afternoon

Only minutes after the robbery of Tennessee State Bank mid-Wednesday afternoon,
Newport Police arrived in several cruisers and halted all traffic to the bank.

Published: 9:24 AM, 12/27/2012

Author: Nelson Morais
Source: The Newport Plain Talk

NEWPORT-Two men, one armed with an assault rifle [reportedly a semi-automatic AK-47], robbed Tennessee State Bank in Newport of an undisclosed amount of money on Wednesday, Dec. 26.

A Newport Police Department patrolman who happened to be driving nearby the bank, which is located at 107 Epley Road between Lowe's and the Cosby Highway, responded quickly to a dispatch reporting the robbery and confronted the two white males, who on video surveillance appeared to be in their 20's.

NPD Chief Maurice Shults said the officer "got the robbers outside the bank", thus averting a potential hostage situation.

The officer took cover in the parking lot behind his police cruiser and attempted to call for assistance from other officers. The robber with the assault rifle ordered the officer to lie on the ground "and told him not to be stupid or he would kill him," according a report by Capt. Scott Lamb stated.

The officer was ordered to remove the ammunition from his Glock 31 service gun, which he did, according to the police chief.

The robbers then confiscated the officer's gun before fleeing in what was described as a silver SUV.

For more details, please see the Thursday edition of the Newport Plain Talk.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:49:44 PM by Richard S »
(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
Re: "Dumb & Dumber" and the Need for Self-Reliance in Personal Defense
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:24:55 AM »
Well it appears the pilice can't rely on the police for THEir protection!

I bet that offcer went home and hugged his family that night.
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:14:58 AM »
I'm sure situations such as that bank robbery happens more often than reported.

It is not a police offer's duty to protect the public.  Most people are surprised to here that statement but it's true.  The Supreme Court ruled that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

Notably, the Supreme Court STATED about the responsibility of police for the security of your family and loved ones is "You, and only you, are responsible for your security and the security of your family and loved ones. That was the essence of a U.S. Supreme Court decision in the early 1980's when they ruled that the police do not have a duty to protect you as an individual, but to protect society as a whole."

"It is well-settled fact of American law that the police have no legal duty to protect any individual citizen from crime, even if the citizen has received death threats and the police have negligently failed to provide protection."

Sources:

7/15/05 SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES No. 04-278 TOWN OF CASTLE ROCK, COLORADO, PETITIONER v. JESSICA GONZALES, INDIVIDUALLY AND AS NEXT BEST FRIEND OF HER DECEASED MINOR CHILDREN, REBECCA GONZALES, KATHERYN GONZALES, AND LESLIE GONZALES
On June 27, in the case of Castle Rock v. Gonzales, the Supreme Court found that Jessica Gonzales did not have a constitutional right to individual police protection even in the presence of a restraining order. Mrs. Gonzales' husband with a track record of violence, stabbing Mrs. Gonzales to death, Mrs. Gonzales' family could not get the Supreme Court to change their unanimous decision for one's individual protection. YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN FOLKS AND GOVERNMENT BODIES ARE REFUSING TO PASS THE Safety Ordinance.

(1) Richard W. Stevens. 1999. Dial 911 and Die. Hartford, Wisconsin: Mazel Freedom Press.

(2) Barillari v. City of Milwaukee, 533 N.W.2d 759 (Wis. 1995).

(3) Bowers v. DeVito, 686 F.2d 616 (7th Cir. 1982).

(4) DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services, 489 U.S. 189 (1989).

(5) Ford v. Town of Grafton, 693 N.E.2d 1047 (Mass. App. 1998).

(6) Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. 1981).
"...a government and its agencies are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App. 1981)

(7) "What makes the City's position particularly difficult to understand is that, in conformity to the dictates of the law, Linda did not carry any weapon for self-defense. Thus by a rather bitter irony she was required to rely for protection on the City of NY which now denies all responsibility to her."
Riss v. New York, 22 N.Y.2d 579,293 N.Y.S.2d 897, 240 N.E.2d 806 (1958).

(8) "Law enforcement agencies and personnel have no duty to protect individuals from the criminal acts of others; instead their duty is to preserve the peace and arrest law breakers for the protection of the general public."
Lynch v. N.C. Dept. of Justice, 376 S.E. 2nd 247 (N.C. App. 1989)
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:45:46 AM »
Great post Buffalo and thanks for posting. "To Serve and Protect" does in fact refer to society rather than to the individual; the police, who are primarily tasked to investigate crime and to apprehend perpetrators where possible, do a generally good job in spite of low pay, understaffing and often outdated equipment.  There  is only rarely a legal way that an officer or department can  provide bodyguard services or provide anticipatory intervention.  I do believe that we have a problem in many areas with judges who make it difficult to punish/incarcerate criminals, frustrating the police and the district attorneys (some of whom unfortunately then begin to cheat the system).

I cleave to my family motto:  Marte Suo Tutus (safe by my own efforts) which basically means be armed, and:
1.  Beware (be aware)
2.  Anticipate and avoid
3.  Create distance (Flee if possible)
4.  Use force when left no alternative
5.  Use maximal force unless response time and the situation permits a lesser response
6.  Carry the largest reasonable caliber weapon possible
7.  Shoot first, preferably from cover, if gunplay is required
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 09:58:15 AM »
I agree with you motto BackupR9.  I think that too many people, myself included, have sat back and too
the 2nd amendment right for granted.  I've sent letters to my local representatives expressing the importance and significance to this right but other than stating my position and support the NRA, not sure what else can be done.  Hopefully recent events will not harm the right for all
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline Richard S

• Grand Master
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 09:55:08 PM »
These characters may have pulled the same sort of bank robbery in Georgia earlier in December, and they don't seem to mind having their photographs taken:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/jan/02/feds-newport-robbers-may-have-hit-georgia-bank/?partner=RSS

(1963-1967) "GO ARMY!"

Offline Reinz

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 12:28:50 AM »
Can't get much better pictures than that!
NRA- LIFE  TSRA- LIFE  SASS-LIFE