Author Topic: Boberg Arms XR45-S  (Read 18663 times)

Offline Ljutic

• Master
Re: Boberg Arms XR45-S
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2014, 09:40:43 AM »

Hopefully I will get out to the range in the next couple of days.

Cool Bob.  Very interested to hear what you think.
Owner of, and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear Blog.  http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2014, 06:25:36 PM »
I finally got out to the range today to try my new XR45 platinum.

I will start by saying that I am not fond of compact 45 ACP’s, so I was somewhat leery of my new purchase.  The first pull of the trigger changed that.  I found the pistol much easier to shoot than I anticipated, reliable for a first time out gun and more accurate than expected.  All in all I am quite pleased for a first time out.
I first shot 40 rounds of Speer Lawman, 185 gr TMJ (#53654).  No problems with either magazine.

Next up I shot 20 rounds of Liberty Civil Defense +P 78 gr.  I had one round which did not go into battery.  It was the last round in the magazine.  I tried to eject it and could not pull the slide back so I hit the back of the slide with my hand and it went into battery.  The round fired but did not eject but pulled out of the chamber enough that I had no problem clearing it.  I loaded the same magazine again and had no problems.  I really do not know what the problem was but that is the only problem I had all day.

Next I tried about 40 rounds of Federal Premium Law Enforcement 230 gr HST (#P45HST2).  All rounds fed and fired perfectly.  Very accurate also I might add.
I then fired my XR9s for a comparison with Federal HST 124 gr +P.  Actually the recoil was not much less than the 45 ACP standard pressure to my amazement.

I did not find the magazines hard to load, but different.  The spring in one of the magazines seemed to be trying to come out the back of the magazine.  You just have to be careful and observe what’s going on and you will have no trouble.  The magazines are very tight in the magwell and take more force than I am used to pull out.  A long ways from “drop free”.

I was very impressed with the XR45 and plan on getting some +P self defense type ammo other than the Liberty to try.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:42:20 PM by MRC »

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »
Thanks for the range report  MRC.  I have the Boberg XR9S and the L, both are high quality, accurate, easy to shoot with low recoil and as long as you use crimped ammo it works every time (some non-crimped are disassembled during the rearward extraction from the magazine during firing I have heard).  To my surprise, the XR9S is an easy pocket carry in loose khakis or cargo pants, but will certainly never be a back pocket carry IMO.  I hope to eventually fire the .45, but doubt I can afford one in the near future; besides I really like my Ultra CDPII.  Keep us informed about future range trips.
John
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 08:56:14 PM »
I went to the range with the XR45 today to shoot some Gold Dot 200 gr +P and take some "bullet pull" measurements.

Tested the Federal 230 gr HST and the Speer Lawman and had no "pulls" to be concerned about and then started having magazine problems.  I called Boberg's head Smith and he said these problems have been popping up and Arne is working on a fix and it will be shipped to me.

I really expected some problems with the pistol being in the first hundred produced.

It really is a soft shooting 45ACP.  I am going to have to try my Dealer's XDs in 45.  He really likes it. (Half the price too)

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2016, 06:57:30 PM »
These guns have my curiosity high...even being over a year old