Author Topic: Loving my new Kimber Solo... 1700 rounds and counting.  (Read 64940 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: Loving my new Kimber Solo... It's going back to Yonkers NY after 1400+ rds👍
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2014, 10:12:49 PM »
Lol. It's not too bad really. It's a lot milder than the R9 skunk. Probably 50% of the pain going by memory. It's been awhile since i fired the R9.

Hopefully I will be hearing back from new Rohrbaugh soon about warranty.

I'm 42 so I may not be able to do that forever, but I feel like I am fairly competent with the unit after 1400 rounds working the steel targets.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:26:45 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2014, 08:11:04 PM »
Well I dropped the solo off at UPS yesterday to be sent back to Yonkers on Kimber's dime. I was up front with them about the gun having 1400 rounds through it and they still shipped it for free.

They said they were exceptionally backed up and to expect 3-4 weeks to look at he pistol.

So far smooth sailing. Tic-toc...
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »
Well I dropped the solo off at UPS yesterday to be sent back to Yonkers on Kimber's dime. I was up front with them about the gun having 1400 rounds through it and they still shipped it for free.

They said they were exceptionally backed up and to expect 3-4 weeks to look at he pistol.

How can these gun companies afford to constantly get guns back - Seecamp says every repair is $50 plus shipping. Imagine how many Solos were sent back

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2014, 08:43:50 PM »

How can these gun companies afford to constantly get guns back - Seecamp says every repair is $50 plus shipping. Imagine how many Solos were sent back

How about the Springfield XDs recall.  That was in excess of 220,000 pistols!

A friend of mine sent both of his in the same day and called to see if they received them.  The lady in Customer Service said:

"Probably, we received 8,000 pistols yesterday"

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2014, 08:51:58 PM »
My XDS was turned in a pretty timely manner and they threw in an extra mag for the hassle. That was 6 months ago.

Same with the Shield. Quick turn around. I heard today that they now offer a safety-less shield. Sounds good, but if they bring out the Glock single stack 9mm it will be over for me and the shield or Kahrs. I could see being pretty content with that option for that particular size/need.

As for the cost of repairs... What would the cost of not repairing? Too expensive to tally. Seecamp feels every bump in the road they are so small IMO, but that's just the cost of doing business with the bigger companies. A bad rep in this business is too expensive I think.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:58:34 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2014, 09:41:02 PM »
I've trained with the P7M8 since 1985 and I never learned any other MOA.  When I bought the P7M8 I passed on the 3rd gen Smiths and the Beretta.  I knew it was going to take a lot of training to learn to flip a safety up

I still remember looking at a P7M8 in Walmart in Leesville, LA and the guy behind the counter recommended that I get the Beretta instead.  He said:

It feels better in the hand, it's been adopted by the U.S. military, and it's 50 bucks cheaper.

I knew when I purchased another carry gun, it had to be something I could just grab and shoot.  A gun with a good DOA trigger is about as close as I can get to the P7M8.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2014, 09:47:49 PM »
Well I received an email perhaps indicating the solo is on its way. Something that needs signed for is on the way. Don't know what else it would be. If it is I'm kinda surprised because they said they were weeks behind. Sounds hopeful anyway.

Keep an eye out and I'll let ya know what it needed after 1400+ rounds. 

John Stuart Mill

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well it made it back already. Looks like they did some fairly extensive work including a new barrel, extractor and a couple other goodies that I will post in detail later.

Got a run.

All in all I am impressed. Nice job Kimber❗️

NO CHARGE. NO CONVERSATION ABOUT WARRANTY FYI.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:52:44 PM by JoshA »

John Stuart Mill

Offline tracker

• Grand Master

Good work, Josh; glad to hear about some good news.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Well I had the opportunity to range test the solo yesterday and it ran a box of federal hollow point 147 grain and a clip of 124 grain hydra shocks flawlessly. Seems to be back to 100% with the proper ammo.

I will probably run a couple more boxes through it to make sure it is a solid as it was before the crash but I don't think I will get too carried away.

Nice compact 9mm that takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. 1400 + rounds of mixed ammo and a trip to Yonkers and back . it is a little tank.

If anyone really cares to know what all they did to revive it let me know and I will post a pic of the letter. If no one cares I probably won't go digging for the letter in my closet.

Great job Kimber!

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
I certainly would be interested in what they did and what they have to say about it.

Thanks for the updates!

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
I would be interested to hear too.
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Here ya go.

Replaced barrel, extractor, trigger spring, outer coil spring and solo spring, replaced the sear.

Running like a champ again 😎

John Stuart Mill

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
All I can say is good for Kimber for great service.

My first R9 would not function at all and had rifling with"tool marks" and Maria relayed from Eric that all there barrels looked like that, and they did not have trouble with their pistols.  It must be operator  or ammo problems.  When I asked to talk to Eric, she bought the gun back.

I never will forget it.

Offline backupr9

• Grand Master
When I stripped a grip screw and sent it back to Eric, they couldn't get it out either...replaced the whole frame at no cost to me...one can only hope that Remington will show half the class of the brothers.
"Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will lose both, and deserve neither." 
Thomas Jefferson

Endur Fortis