Author Topic: The Ruger LC9  (Read 3814 times)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
The Ruger LC9
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »

Pros

It's fairly dependable

It's cheap

Cons

You definitely need a holster

It's not a pocket pistol

Safeties are complicated

It's strictly short range

And if you hold it loose, it will move out of your grip

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
Re: The Ruger LC9
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 09:03:25 PM »

Another big con is the long hard trigger pull which takes it off of my list.

Offline Griff

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 09:49:34 PM »
i highly recommend the Glock 26 as a possible alternative. It is way proven. Dependable as a Glock, and surprisingly accurate. I train with mine all the way out past 100 yards.  The trigger rides like a well trained pony. I've front pocket carried mine, but prefer belt holster or fanny pack. With the magazine extension, it packs 13 rounds of +p, and lets me get a full hand grip.

I like my Ruger revolvers, especially the LCR in 38. It is super light weight, durable, and has by far the best trigger i've ever felt on a double action only snubbie.  The polymer frame
‘Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive...those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.‘
- C. S. Lewis

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »

I'm with you on the Glocks--love the 26 and the 36 is just one of the best and most accurate guns I own.

Offline C0untZer0

• Grand Master
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 10:04:47 PM »
I picked up a Kahr CM9.  The price was $320.00

I tried the trigger of the LC9 in a gun store and knew I would never be able to fire it accurately quickly.    I hadn't even tried the triggers of other guns like the Kahrs or the SIG P290 - the only thing I really had to go by at the time was the trigger on my P7M8 - but Ruger's trigger took it out of contention for me.  If all the other pocket nines had triggers as bad as the LC9 than I'd be carrying a different caliber.

Thankfully the Rohrbaugh has a really nice trigger that I'm happy with :)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »
I had an old jam-a-matic ruger and complained so much they gave me an LC9. About the only positive thing I can say is - it's dependable. Makes a nice 'bait box' gun (Fishing), or a trunk gun - but I would never pay $400 for it.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 07:34:17 PM »

Basically a throw away no heartburn loss special. I like the term, "bait box gun."

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »

Basically a throw away no heartburn loss special. I like the term, "bait box gun."

The gun was a ruger freebie - If I lost my seecamp, Sig 232, Kimber, etc - I would kick myself.  As far as bait box, that would be a bigger loss than the Ruger

Offline Buffalo

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »
Sorry, but have to ask a stupid question.  I've heard people here and on different forums mention losing a gun in lakes, camping, etc.... and just wondered if where may people on the forum live if the state would give you a hard time for losing the gun.  Up here in NY you will have HELL to pay for losing a gun.  Just wondering?
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― The Dalai Lama (May 2001)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 10:08:03 PM »
Sorry, but have to ask a stupid question.  I've heard people here and on different forums mention losing a gun in lakes, camping, etc.... and just wondered if where may people on the forum live if the state would give you a hard time for losing the gun.  Up here in NY you will have HELL to pay for losing a gun.  Just wondering?

What the analogy is that "Who cares if you 380 lb wife left you" - Bait Box gun means it's a really junker, not a prized German Luger, that's a family heirloom.