Author Topic: From a 32, to a 380, to a 9mm - and soon it will reverse  (Read 14585 times)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
Re: From a 32, to a 380, to a 9mm - and soon it will reverse
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 04:10:06 PM »
Size & carry-ability

I am in South Fl and live in cargo shorts, if I lived in Nome Alaska, it would be different viewpoint. The Seecamp 32 because of size, dependability, safety factors (double strike capabilities, mag safety, etc) is in a class by itself. The cons are 'Ammo'.

All these guns are 'ammo sensitive', and that's a "fact of life". All guns go thru a phase - in 1985 the .380 Colt Pony was before it's time, now 2006 , it's cousin, the Rorhbaugh is a cult thing. Right gun at right time.

I'd still like to see a mini colt pony eat 25 or 32 acp, cheap and dependable, right out of the box. As for your present R9. I would love to see it shoot a 22 TCM

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »
"Ammo" is a big con; that is one good reason among many others to stay with 9mm. There are many options other than the R9 and there will be more in the future.

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 09:28:49 PM »
"Ammo" is a big con; that is one good reason among many others to stay with 9mm. There are many options other than the R9 and there will be more in the future.

I got a 32, a 380, a 763 (broomhandle) and all the rest are 9mm. That different ammo is a pain. The specialized ammo (Seecamp and Mauser) is a real pain. The seecamp is every day carry, and the mauser doesn't get shot much, so they are tolerable.

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 11:29:29 PM »
Try the cheap and reliable (with the right self defense ammo) and good sights and .380 +p rated and light as your Seecamp and excellent trigger and more user friendly than the Seecamp all the way around kahr cw.380.

I paid $250 for mines.

You can absolutely dump a mag on target in a hurry.

I have a Seecamp .32 and .380. I would actually prefer the .32 over the .380 in the Seecamp, but the kahr .380 is a dream to shoot comparatively.

I would prefer 9, but until my r9 gets fixed I don't have a better pocket gun than the kahr .380. The solo is a tad too big for my pockets.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 11:31:03 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 06:55:21 AM »
I started carrying with a LWS32 and that was it until the Colt Pony came out.  A good pistol with a bad trigger and the fear of light hits was always in the back of my mind.

Next came the Colt Pocket Nine.  Good pistol with a bad trigger and again I had the fear of light hits.  It seemed too large at first, but I have learned to just put it in your pocket and leave it there and in a couple of days you don't even notice it.

After trying about everything I am stuck on the Solo and it works for me.  If dress does not allow me to carry the Solo, I go to the P380 which is as easy to carry, as reliable, and as accurate as any carry gun I have owned.

I would not even consider a LWS 380 for carry.  Too many better choices.

I agree with tracker, 9mm is the way to go with pocket carry if you can shoot it accurately, shoot it accurately with speed, and conceal it.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 06:57:47 AM by MRC »

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 05:00:33 PM »
Point well put IMO.

No experience with the colt products, but not wild about the LWS 32/380 and love the solo and lovethe kahr CW 380 which I understand is basically a P380 without some of the posh features.

I think your judgement is pretty spot on IMO MRC.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 05:09:05 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 12:02:19 AM »
The Khar 380 sounds interesting. Dependability, and safety, are my major concerns. When I hear that crap about "Ammo sensitive", I just cringe. And then you got 14 months of an ammo shortage (even 22s were hard to find). I went out and bought a S&W snubnose, figuring it has to be super dependable - guess what, it had a short firing pin, and had to go back to the factory.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2014, 07:37:22 AM »
The Khar 380 sounds interesting. Dependability, and safety, are my major concerns. When I hear that crap about "Ammo sensitive", I just cringe. And then you got 14 months of an ammo shortage (even 22s were hard to find). I went out and bought a S&W snubnose, figuring it has to be super dependable - guess what, it had a short firing pin, and had to go back to the factory.

Mr skunk

I would highly recommend that you try the Kahr CW380.  I have a P380 but from all reports that I have read the CW does the same job at a lower price.

The little Kahrs are accurate, reliable, fun to shoot and easy to carry.  The P380 is a hard gun for me to put down at the range as it is really fun to shoot.

I know that you have a thing about striker fired guns which I really do not understand but try the Kahr and you might change your mind.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »
Not to stir up a hornet's nest in a stable of blue blood gun aficionados but I have found the second generation P-3AT to be quite reliable and dependable; so much so that I installed a hard chrome slide on it.   Kel-Tec customer service is very responsive and they will generally send you free parts in the unlikely event you need them.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f87/1st-vs-2nd-generation-p3at-197491/
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 06:50:47 PM by tracker »

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2014, 08:33:15 PM »
'If do glove don't fit, then you must acquits'

Not to stir up a hornet's nest in a stable of blue blood gun aficionados but I have found the second generation P3AT to be quite reliable and dependable;

A big part of these 'Nuevo Pistolas' is ammo. I want to shoot cheap 32 ball ammo, $15 a box.  I emailed KelTec and they told me their 32 preferred $40 a box Win Silvertips. The other thing is size, and that's where the Seecamp stands out. All I can really talk about is the guns I have owned. The Seecamp is super safe, and small - but a ammo sensitive b*tch. My next favorite is a Sig 232 (PPK type). And it's how you carry - In South Fla it's cargo shorts.

At the end of the day - It's all about how dependable the gun is.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2014, 09:26:11 PM »
Not to stir up a hornet's nest in a stable of blue blood gun aficionados but I have found the second generation P-3AT to be quite reliable and dependable; so much so that I installed a hard chrome slide on it.   Kel-Tec customer service is very responsive and they will generally send you free parts in the unlikely event you need them.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f87/1st-vs-2nd-generation-p3at-197491/

I have no experience with the 2nd generation Kel Tecs but I do own a P32 and a P3AT of the old style.  I bought the P32 at a Gun Show for under $200 out the door just to see if it would work.  I was pleasantly surprised as it shot everything I loaded into it.  That was mostly my own reloads back then.  The same for the P3AT.  Very utilitarian type pistols that serve the purpose for what they were made.

I found them both very reliable,  just junky looking.

I presently have a Kel Tec KSG and find it to be easy to shoot and it works great.  I have had zero problems with it, just a little pricey in my opinion for what you get. 

The KSG is the only firearm I have ever owned that allows you to load a full pound of lead at one time

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2014, 12:06:32 AM »
The KSG is the only Keltech I presently own and find it to be reliable and punishing. Wouldn't want to receive the real punishment it delivers though. 

I like some of the keltech designs. Crude but effective.

John Stuart Mill

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2014, 12:59:49 AM »

Pull, point, and shoot

If a Bruther, or Jose, or a Road-Rager, or Zimmerman, or Klebold from Columbine, or 'Popcorn Killer', or whatever mugger or nutcase is out there, you need a sure steady hand. That is not the time for fumbling with safeties, or a weaver stance, or a 2 second aim, ....... "No, no, no" ....  Pull and shoot.

And when you are in the 7/11, or ATM, or walking in a late night parking lot, it's best to be aware. Look at Dillinger, or Wild Bill Hickcock, or Jesse James, - their 'Situational Awareness' wasn't there. It all happens fast and the last thing you need is a Jam-A-Matic. You need to be at the range, and just being repetitive. It would be nice if there was a facility that offered real life scenarios, versus booths at the range.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2014, 02:29:54 AM »

Contact Gunsite; they will be happy to help:

http://www.gunsite.com/main/course-calendars/2014-course-schedule/

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2014, 01:22:01 PM »

Contact Gunsite; they will be happy to help:

http://www.gunsite.com/main/course-calendars/2014-course-schedule/

I am debating whether to spend $8 to go to local gun show. Tough to drop $2500 on airfare, hotels, etc. But their course prices seem reasonable, if you lived there. Of course when you add up what you spent on guns, ammo, ranges, etc - it does make sense