Author Topic: From a 32, to a 380, to a 9mm - and soon it will reverse  (Read 14662 times)

Offline JoshA

• Grand Master
Re: From a 32, to a 380, to a 9mm - and soon it will reverse
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2014, 10:49:09 PM »
 You need to be at the range, and just being repetitive. It would be nice if there was a facility that offered real life scenarios, versus booths at the range.
[/quote]

Google force on force training and your nearest major city name next to you.

I have found a trainer that served in Afghanistan as well as a trainer of police officers. He has proven to be very helpful.

We typically train at an outdoor range that has 5 steel targets that allows you to move freely, work out of the holster etc. It's been absolutely revolutionary for me. Beats standing in one spot and shooting holes in paper. Both he and my Marshall buddy say that's about the worst thing you can do to yourself when training for a gunfight. You need to get off the X and not get shot. Even more important than shooting the bad guy don't get shot. Well standing there with tunnel vision and trying to make a hole in a bullseye can be bad muscle memory obviously.

Hope you can find something like that in FL
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:53:33 PM by JoshA »
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873)

Offline the_skunk

• Expert
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 08:02:07 PM »
We typically train at an outdoor range that has 5 steel targets that allows you to move freely, work out of the holster etc. It's been absolutely revolutionary for me.

Ain't that the truth. Get that gun out and start shooting. In a standard situation the other party will be 'shucking, and moon dancing'. To watch guys at a range is comical, 2 second aiming, with the two hands, and special stances.  In real life, the predator will be in twos, and come out of nowhere. All I get out of the range is some practice, and seeing dependability.

Offline tracker

• Grand Master
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 10:20:10 PM »

As surprising as it may seem the majority of law enforcement officers only shoot when they qualify each year and rarely clean their weapons. The good news is that the perpetrators are even less adept so any time you spend on the range and/or in tactical training places you well ahead of the opposition. Of course, special units like SWAT teams are well trained and current.