Author Topic: Concealed Carry Suggestions?  (Read 10581 times)

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
Concealed Carry Suggestions?
« on: July 31, 2018, 09:37:12 AM »
I loved shooting my Sig P365. Accurate, light & 11 +1 w/ext. mag.. Who can argue with that? Then it started jamming on me. Sent it back to the factory. Came back fixed, but my confidence level with it is gone. I think that it came to market too soon. Sold it. I am down to one Rohrbaugh R9S Stealth, new, in the safe. This is my keeper. I have carried other Rohrbaughs, but I have to be honest here...I cannot shoot them as accurately as I would like. It's not the gun, it's me. I am the most effective & accurate with a heavier 9mm or even a .45. So, my new chase is on for a new carry gun. I want proven quality ( not a new gun to the market ), 20-30 ozs, 9mm or .45, & semi-automatic. Your thoughts? Yes, a Rohrbaugh .45 would be nice, but we will have to wait for Carl & Eric to come out of retirement for that? I wonder where the prototype .45 is?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:00:36 PM by cargaritaville »
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
Re: What does everyone recommend as a concealed firearm?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 11:42:08 AM »
I have shot and heard a lot of good things about the Glock 43.

Don't own one, and only fired somewhere around 30 rounds from one, but it worked every time and was accurate enough for it's intended purpose.

Not the most aesthetically pleasing firearm out there, but they are boringly reliable from all I've read and been told.

For some reason, Glocks don't fit me well so I only have a couple that don't see daylight very often. No other reason for me to not consider one for carry.

Since I got a Rohrbaugh, that is what I most often carry.  Previous carry gun, a Kimber ProCarry .45, has been relegated to the briefcase.

So if you can find one to rent, borrow, shoot and find it works out for you, that might be a choice.  I think a few others on this forum carry one daily and will probably chime in.

Online tracker

• Grand Master
Re: Concealed Carry Suggestions?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
I was also about to suggest the Glock 43. I own one and it is much more tactile than larger Glocks. As usual with Glocks it shoots flawlessly.

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 03:45:34 PM »
I have found that IF you plan, you can easily conceal a full sized pistol.

My choice for daily primary carry?

The FN FiveseveN 5.7x28 pistol, it’s

Lightweight
21 rounds standard capacity
VERY high velocity, the round I carry (Elite S4M) clocks 2,400 fps out of my pistol
Almost zero recoil
Shoots very flat, you can easily engage targets out to 100 yards
With the correct loads it will penetrate Level IIIA armor AND 1 1/4” bulletproof glass
VERY reliable

And of course, my back up is my R9S Stealth.
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 06:33:01 PM »
Hk psp? 

Offline PursuitSS

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »
Hk psp?

Have one, WAY too heavy for the size.

It’s actually my wife’s favorite pistol. Yes they shoot like a dream, incredible trigger pull, super reliable if you feed them hot 9mm ammo. Hers is stoked with Winchester 127 gr+P+
NRA Endowment Member
Moderator - “80%” Forum AR15.com

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 10:30:58 PM »
Hk psp?

Have one, WAY too heavy for the size.

It’s actually my wife’s favorite pistol. Yes they shoot like a dream, incredible trigger pull, super reliable if you feed them hot 9mm ammo. Hers is stoked with Winchester 127 gr+P+
still under his 30oz.

Offline PhilZ

• Grand Master
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 07:04:29 AM »
+1 on the Glock 43.  It takes +P loads.  Tons of holster options.  Reliable. 

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 08:22:35 AM »
I went to the gun store to check out the Glock 43. First impressions...nice size, fits in my hand like a glove. The salesman said it can be a bit snappy. your thoughts? What can you compare the recoil to? Thanks.
Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone!

bamboobob

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 08:26:11 AM »
I have found that IF you plan, you can easily conceal a full sized pistol.

My choice for daily primary carry?

The FN FiveseveN 5.7x28 pistol, it’s

Lightweight
21 rounds standard capacity
VERY high velocity, the round I carry (Elite S4M) clocks 2,400 fps out of my pistol
Almost zero recoil
Shoots very flat, you can easily engage targets out to 100 yards
With the correct loads it will penetrate Level IIIA armor AND 1 1/4” bulletproof glass
VERY reliable

And of course, my back up is my R9S Stealth.
+1
+loud report and large mussle flash

Offline tattoo

• Master
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 08:54:31 AM »
I went to the gun store to check out the Glock 43. First impressions...nice size, fits in my hand like a glove. The salesman said it can be a bit snappy. your thoughts? What can you compare the recoil to? Thanks.
i carry one everyday. And I enjoy shooting it. Not snappy at all. And I load it with +p+ underwood ammo. 😉

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 10:09:56 AM »

I'm also on the Glock 43 train.  I liked my Glock 42 so much, I got a 43. ;)

The 42 is like a dream gun.  If you can live with .380 ACP, it is awesome.  The 43 is slightly bigger and slightly snapper, but not difficult to shoot at all.  Highly recommended.

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline cargaritaville

• Grand Master
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 10:11:13 AM »

I'm also on the Glock 43 train.  I liked my Glock 42 so much, I got a 43. ;)

The 42 is like a dream gun.  If you can live with .380 ACP, it is awesome.  The 43 is slightly bigger and slightly snapper, but not difficult to shoot at all.  Highly recommended.

Do you carry the 42?

Offline MikeInTexas

• Grand Master
  • Hello from Texas
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2018, 11:09:16 AM »
IIRC from past posts, member Karl R carries a G43.

Might PM him to get his thoughts.

Offline MRC

• Grand Master
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 11:42:56 AM »
I have not shot the 42 or the 43 Glocks but I hear nothing but good about them.

I think that the Kahr P380 and PM9 are very good guns and I have shot both a lot.  I always figured that Kahr beat Glock to the compact single stack market.

I finally settled on a Solo for pocket.  I have had two and both are flawless.  The reason I have had two is I decided to get night sights and checkered front strap.  The Solo seems to point more natural for me and very good accuracy.  Remington 124 gr +P bonded is the right ammo.

If I want something bigger I go to an IWB Springfield XDs45.  Another flawless gun that shoots great for me.

I have to say that I never could shoot a R9 very accurately for a string of 7 shots and the faster I shoot the worse it gets.  Not enough to hold on to I guess.