Author Topic: Exotic Leather Holsters  (Read 12098 times)

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
Exotic Leather Holsters
« on: May 27, 2004, 01:06:20 AM »
The Rohrbaugh seems to be the perfect gun to carry in an exotic leather holster.

I never owned an exotic leather holster until about a year ago, and I am now sort of hooked on them.

I now own exotic leather holsters made from sharkskin, ostrich, and stingray.

So, I was wondering, how many of you own or want to own a holster made from an exotic leather?

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
Re: Exotic Leather Holsters
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 02:01:01 PM »

Kevin has made me a P-3AT holster in black snakeskin and I gave my dad a holster for his Taurus snubby made from Red Iguana.  Pretty neat.  Its a shame that concealed carry holsters are rarely seen by others!

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 04:20:00 PM »
George .... like Duane said .. unfortunately they don't get seen (much!).  Don't think I'd be fussed for anything exotic .. I am ''functionality'' oriented with aesthetic overtones only! ;D

I am interested tho as to whether a small holster for this gun could also be made from that heavy black ''fabric'' stuff .... per Uncle Mikes .... sure you know what I mean Duane?
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline DDGator

• Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Grand Master
    • The Rohrbaugh Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 04:35:03 PM »
Yeah, I am sure.  There is undoubtedly and Uncle Mikes that would fit the bill.  I just don't like that kind of holster -- I like a lot more firmness.  If I couldn't have or didn't want leather, I would go kydex before synthetic fabric.  Leather, however, has been the choice for holsters ever since guns were made...

Duane (DDGator)
Rohrbaugh Forum Administrator
E-mail: Admin-at-RohrbaughForum.com

Offline R9SCarry

• Grand Master
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 09:19:42 PM »
Yep - leather is #1 I agree .... just curious that was all .... I have (as so many of us) a box full of holsters .. and some suit one thing some suit another ..... and now and again the Uncle Mike's type do in fact have a place.  

I am with you re Kydex ... I do find one or two most useful.
Chris - R9S
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
R9 FAQ Site
NRA Life member and Certified Instructor.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 12:15:08 AM »
Yea, exotic leather holsters are beautiful, but some of the leathers are extremely durable--sharkskin for example will last for generations. On the other hand, snake skin is merely for looks.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 07:55:25 AM »
Leather is warm. Over time it adapts to the shape of its user. But, I discovered that certain exotics have great wear characteristics. Most of my holsters are regular cowhide, but I now understand that there is a practical value to exotics as well. I also like the beauty of the exotic leather and its inherent "cool" factor. Likewise, I can't see spending nearly a grand for a gun and then shove it into a $29 holster that in a prior life was a milk jug.

Offline RJ HEDLEY

• Grand Master
  •         
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 12:17:46 PM »
"I can't see spending nearly a grand for a gun and then shove it into a $29 holster that in a prior life was a milk jug. "  Georgeh
---------------
 Azrael will appreciate that !!    :D

« Last Edit: May 29, 2004, 12:20:12 PM by RHEDLEY »
RJ=

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 01:31:42 AM »
I aim to please. :)

Offline shooterjb

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2004, 02:05:33 AM »
Leather is warm. Over time it adapts to the shape of its user. But, I discovered that certain exotics have great wear characteristics. Most of my holsters are regular cowhide, but I now understand that there is a practical value to exotics as well. I also like the beauty of the exotic leather and its inherent "cool" factor. Likewise, I can't see spending nearly a grand for a gun and then shove it into a $29 holster that in a prior life was a milk jug.

Hi George,

That has to be one of the all time great quotes, " I can't see spending nearly a grand for a gun and then shove it into a $29 holster that in a prior life was a milk jug." I agree 100%. I have confidence though that the holsters that Ron is making for me won't be remotely similar to any kind of milk jug.

Frank

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2004, 08:53:08 AM »
I like a little exotic...I have one of Ron G's pocket holsters with a band of elephant around the top for my Seecamp 380.  

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2004, 03:51:02 AM »
Hi pocketman:

I'm trying to learn more about exotics. Elephant has only become available recently. What do you think about it?

Offline pocketman

• Sharpshooter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2004, 10:09:24 AM »
George, I like the look of it, its also very firm.  

I can not tell the durability of it as its just a band going aroung the opening of the holster and the rest of the holster is leather.  

Offline MurrayNevada

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 10:35:37 PM »
I like the idea of an exotic skin holster for my R9S.  What exotic skins wear well?  I have no experience with them.  I have two drawers of holsters but mostly cowhide or horsehide.  I really think an exotic skin belt slide would look great with the Rohrbaugh.

Offline GeorgeH

• Master
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2004, 12:30:12 AM »
Hi Murray:

I only have a handful of exotic holsters. I'm trying to learn more about exotic skins. But everything is relative.

The two most common exotics that you see today used in holsters are shark and ostrich. Both are very abrasion resistant--more so than cow or horse hide. A sharkskin holster is water resistant and can last a lifetime. But ostrich can be dyed and is more flexable cosmetically, yet its abrasion resistance made it popular with boot makers. Both are readily available and easy to work with.

Snake skin use to be more popular, but it has fallen from favor because is is very delicate. It is used more for its beauty than any practical reason.

The toughest leather for both abrasion and mosture resistance (that is commonly used for holsters) is ray skin, but it is very, very difficult to work with; there are over 200 different kinds of "ray;" and, the skins tend to be small and very expensive.

Lizard is more durable than snake, but less so than shark. The problem with lizard is that there are a lot of different lizards, each with their own considerations. Lizard is replacing snake because it is more durable and the skins can be very dramatic in appearance.

Elephant is now available, it is durable but like most land critters it is less mosture resistant than ocean critters.

So the bottom line--buy what you like. You will never be disappointed with shark or ostrich. Both wear like iron. Lizard can be dramatic and the texture and grain patten can take your breath away. Elephant is so novel that you will spend more time passing it around than wearing it. A great gun club ice breaker.

By the way, most exotics are bonded (glued) to either cow or horsehide.